Does anyone know how to fix this?

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
OK. I bought a Bowie Knife the other day. I was out and about, putting through its paces. Not sure how it happened, but the blade got bent. Nothing serious, and the edge is intact. But there is a slight warp near the blade edge. I only saw it because of the way the light reflected off of it. It's about an inch long and extends about a half inch from the edge. Anyway, is there a safe way to correct this?

You may be able to bend it back. However, that depends on the type of steel it is made of. Most blades are designed with some flex in them.

• Banned
You may be able to bend it back. However, that depends on the type of steel it is made of. Most blades are designed with some flex in them.
It's AUS 8B steel. Pretty good stuff. The fact that it bent instead of breaking means it's some good steel. I think I'll take it to the knife shop and see what they can do. Someone mentioned using a vise and a couple of copper rods to bend it back, but I don't have either one.

OK. I bought a Bowie Knife the other day. I was out and about, putting through its paces. Not sure how it happened, but the blade got bent. Nothing serious, and the edge is intact. But there is a slight warp near the blade edge. I only saw it because of the way the light reflected off of it. It's about an inch long and extends about a half inch from the edge. Anyway, is there a safe way to correct this?
I think I'd just live with it. But....you might be able to bend it...or perhaps you could use a vise--crimp the bend back. Just don't hammer on it..I'm sure you know that you would risk losing the temper of the blade..like-wise heating it.

• Banned
I think I'd just live with it. But....you might be able to bend it...or perhaps you could use a vise--crimp the bend back. Just don't hammer on it..I'm sure you know that you would risk losing the temper of the blade..like-wise heating it.
Yes. I've seen a few episodes of forged in fire. Good stuff, BTW. Those guys are amazing. Making a knife in just a few hours. I've seen some spectacular blunders too. Like that one guy who tried to glue a handle, with time running out, and forgot to add the hardener. LOL!

I would take it to a knife shop if there are any around that specialize in them. It's easy to screw them up, and they rarely can be put back into the original shape if you screw it up the first try. Try this forum; there seem to be some skilled people there.

How to straighten bent blades?

• Banned

I would take it to a knife shop if there are any around that specialize in them. It's easy to screw them up, and they rarely can be put back into the original shape if you screw it up the first try. Try this forum; there seem to be some skilled people there.

I think I'll just ignore it. It doesn't interfere with my sharpening it, and it still does what I want it to do. I need to stop treating like a show knife and start treating it like the working knife it is. BTW, if you don't have a Bowie knife, you really need to get one. Like Croc Dundee said, "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife." And he's correct. I love this thing. Every time I pick it up, I feel like chopping something.

• Banned
BTW, I actually chopped through a three inch thick tree branch in less than 30 seconds with this knife. It's pretty amazing. Now that I think of it. that may be when I bent it. Maybe I should take it easy.

I think I'll just ignore it. It doesn't interfere with my sharpening it, and it still does what I want it to do. I need to stop treating like a show knife and start treating it like the working knife it is. BTW, if you don't have a Bowie knife, you really need to get one. Like Croc Dundee said, "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife." And he's correct. I love this thing. Every time I pick it up, I feel like chopping something.

I use a K bar for most knife work, but I do have a Bowie I use occasionally. When I carry the Bowie around, I end up making up work to use it on .... lol

I use a K bar for most knife work, but I do have a Bowie I use occasionally. When I carry the Bowie around, I end up making up work to use it on .... lol
You mean like digging a pit with sharpened bamboo spikes at the bottom? :)

I've been thinking about getting one of these for my next knife. What do you think?

spanish_falcata_sword_replica_g3.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one of these for my next knife. What do you think?

Never used one, so have no opinion on them. I have an old WW II Japanese non-com's sword I got from my father I use on trips I need a brush hacker for, though, so I haven't got round to machetes or any variations thereof.

Never used one, so have no opinion on them. I have an old WW II Japanese non-com's sword I got from my father I use on trips I need a brush hacker for, though, so I haven't got round to machetes or any variations thereof.
I've used one of these before. It's amazing. Really. This thing has no problem chopping a coconut in half. If you've ever tried it, you know just how difficult that is. It's called a Falcata, BTW. There is something that's smaller but similar in design, called a Kukri. Also an excellent blade.

CS97KMIGS.jpg

I've used one of these before. It's amazing. Really. This thing has no problem chopping a coconut in half. If you've ever tried it, you know just how difficult that is. It's called a Falcata, BTW. There is something that's smaller but similar in design, called a Kukri. Also an excellent blade.

CS97KMIGS.jpg

Those were quite popular with people we used to do things with in SE Asia after the fall of VN. Smugglers along the Thai border with Cambodia were pretty good with them. There are many variations out there; many customize their own, according to their needs and tastes. I'm personally too lazy to bother, and just toted a .38 Police Special around and let the guides do their job with that stuff.

The VN soldiers occupying Cambodia used to do R&R in Thai border villages; nobody minded as long as they showed up in civilian clothes and didn't kill any of the locals in bar fights. Those were great trade items to have around in bulk.

Forum List

Back