Does anyone here own a slaughterhouse?

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Because I was just wondering what percentage of the weight of a cow is edible.

I'm guessing about 75%, once the skin and bones are removed and discarded, the majority of the fat is trimmed, and the non-edible organs are chucked.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I could find it by looking up on the internet, but I'd rather stimulate discussion.

(Apologies to Echo Zulu...)

Wow, that's a fairly specialized field.

I don't think it's 75 percent, I think it's probably more like 50 percent because cow bone, and the hide, are very heavy.

As is the head..but then certain things can be made using the head......

If you slaughtering for a pack of hyenasm the percentage of cow that's edible is about 99.9%.

They eat everything but the teeth, or so I'm informed.

Or course that story could all be tripe, too.

The best way to find out is to call a slaughter house and ask them how many pounds of meat you get in exchange for a _____ lb. live cow. Because the way it's done anymore, you take your cow in and they butcher it, and they just give you the amount in weight that they assume your cow would equal.

They do whatever they do with the rest of the stuff. I'm sure if you wanted the head and the hide, you could have it. But hide's not edible, and head, that's just wrong. Particularly with the whole mad cow thing.

Wow, that's a fairly specialized field.

I don't think it's 75 percent, I think it's probably more like 50 percent because cow bone, and the hide, are very heavy.

As is the head..but then certain things can be made using the head......

I was thinking 30 - 50% because most of the legs are not edible either.

So you have the head, the legs, bones and hide that you can't eat.

I'm not finicky but I have never been the least curious about what tripe tastes like.

I have had "Oxtail soup" and neckbone stew....and I've eaten and cooked tongue (which is quite good but cooking it will put you a bit off of it....it's just so gross looking, and then you have to "peel" it. Peeling a cow tongue is not a pleasant experience.) I've eaten mutton and goat and about every sort of farm animal I can think of, and a lot of game animals.

But I draw the line at "head" anything, glands, and intestines.

I have had haggis which wasn't too bad, but I don't think they included the lungs or the liver. The heart might have been in it. That was okay.

cow-head.gif

If you slaughtering for a pack of hyenasm the percentage of cow that's edible is about 99.9%.

They eat everything but the teeth, or so I'm informed.

Or course that story could all be tripe, too.

FoodTale: TRIPE

people actually eat tripe.. and wanna know what's worse??? they have brains and eggs for breakfast and in Louisiana everybody goes to the woods and cooks chitlins.. :lol::lol::lol:

Chitlins are okay.

My daughter in law eats tripe when her dad fixes it at her family home.

Brains and eggs is considered a delicacy, but I'm telling you, no brain food for me since mad cow disease and prions. No way.

Ok, wait a minute, chitlins are not okay, I was confusing them with what we called "cracklins" which is just the fat pieces of pork, fried.

Because I was just wondering what percentage of the weight of a cow is edible.

I'm guessing about 75%, once the skin and bones are removed and discarded, the majority of the fat is trimmed, and the non-edible organs are chucked.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I could find it by looking up on the internet, but I'd rather stimulate discussion.

(Apologies to Echo Zulu...)

Am I readin' between the lines, or do you have a wife you'd like to get rid of?

THat's what I always thought they were.

But I looked it up and boy was I wrong. I've never had chitlins. Thank goodness.

All I know from reading all this "eat this part and sautee that part" is

THANK GOD I'M A VEGETARIAN! :eusa_clap:

Sheep's innards, brains, and cows tongue! :eek:

Forum List

Back