Does anyone here listen to shortwave radio?

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
`

I do. I've been doing it for years. I even have a collection of QSL cards. I have an old Panasonic RF-4900/DR49 but I'm looking to upgrade to either a Yaesu FRG-100B or Grundig Satellit 750.

can yall explain the allure

About the same as the allure to your music. :dunno:
So you hated it and still listened?

Eh, there were some good things here and there.
Yeah, thats what im asking about.......what was the allure - Im always curious to learn about something new. Like, what is the factor that differentiates it from every other radio aside from the lesser sound quality?

About the same as the allure to your music. :dunno:
So you hated it and still listened?

Eh, there were some good things here and there.
Yeah, thats what im asking about.......what was the allure - Im always curious to learn about something new. Like, what is the factor that differentiates it from every other radio aside from the lesser sound quality?

Foreign languages, faraway places.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
`
I like listening to news directly from other countries, in English of course. Another thing is I can also listen in on Amateur Radio (Ham) operators world-wide. During emergencoes and disasters, Ham operators are an invaluable source of information.There are also pirate/clandestine stations, RTTY (Radioteletype) which I have hooked up to my computer....among other things.

`
I like listening to news directly from other countries, in English of course. Another thing is I can also listen in on Amateur Radio (Ham) operators world-wide. During emergencoes and disasters, Ham operators are an invaluable source of information.There are also pirate/clandestine stations, RTTY (Radioteletype) which I have hooked up to my computer....among other things.

May we see a picture of your foil(er) helmet?

`
I see....hmm.

Did you ever see the movie where woody harrelson is some kook hippy in a trailer that broadcasts about doomsday, and he posts up outside of Yellow Stone?

Is it like that?

I see....hmm.Did you ever see the movie where woody harrelson is some kook hippy in a trailer that broadcasts about doomsday, and he posts up outside of Yellow Stone? Is it like that?
`
If you are talking about the movie, 2012, not really.

I see....hmm.Did you ever see the movie where woody harrelson is some kook hippy in a trailer that broadcasts about doomsday, and he posts up outside of Yellow Stone? Is it like that?
`
If you are talking about the movie, 2012, not really.
I think I am.

My memory of it is a pond at dawn, and it's 39 degrees with the sun beginning to peek over the Horizon.

`
`

I do. I've been doing it for years. I even have a collection of QSL cards. I have an old Panasonic RF-4900/DR49 but I'm looking to upgrade to either a Yaesu FRG-100B or Grundig Satellit 750.

Not for many years.

I should have had my ham license by now. I should have done a lot of other things by now, too.

I still have my Grundig Yacht Boy 400 from the mid-90's! The internet made short-wave obsolete. I remember back pre "Y2K" William Cooper (shot by tax collectors allegedly) used to try to have listeners do the FM trick to get the broadcast on a small radius on FM!

All the crazy religious, end of the world kooks loved short wave to promote selling canned goods and bottled water and other prepper insanity.

I think short wave was were I first heard Alex Jones, Texe Marrs, Bill Cooper, American Dissident Voices, and some hilarious dudes who used verses from Revelation to prove bass players in Las Vegas were part of the "Apocalypse."

Last edited:
Around here, the guys are on air before breakfast, talking about fixing this or building that. After they are fed, the gals get on air and talk about everything else. Lots of kids are homeschooled and lots of the chatter addresses homeschooling issues. Some are better at math, some at English, etc.

Forum List

Back