Does anyone have a plan for long term employment recovery?

It has to do the the trans-oceanic fiber optic cables that dramatically dropped the cost of intercontinental communications. *

The process started in 2001 and has not abated. *

Thanks. *This is exactly the same year that the labor force participation rate and employment as a percentage of the civilian popupation began falling. I am pretty sure that the labor force participation rate hit an upward bound as well, basically the US was at the absolute peak of employable adults.

It is also, if I recall correctly, the real dollar price of gasoline whent from decades of constant prices and began climbing rapidly to its peak at the beginning of the great recession. *

Are there any other things that began in the 2000 time frame?

Globalization of the economy is surely a great thing, in the long run. *Unfortunately, as many of us suspected, the process included a bit of a decline in the standard of living in some countries as it raised the living standards in others.

Well and it means you have to think differently how you do things. The problem with the US is we are being exploited by multinational countries like African and Asian countries were exploited by Europe in the 1800's. No economy can sustain this type of exploitation and thrive. Let me provide two examples:

1) Apple has been in the news about moving dollars off shore. Many of these dollars are from US Sales where the money is transferred and invested overseas. Pulling the money out of the economy removes capital to invest in jobs, loans for business, machinery, etc. The solution is to replace the corporate income tax with a capital exportation tax.

2) The University of California at Berkely did much of the fundamental research around a technical breakthrough called a Memrister. Basically it is a replacement technology for a transistor. It was the development of the transistor which formed Silicon Valley. HP labs worked with Berkely to further develop and commercialize production of the Memrister. When it came time to produce the technology HP moved it all to Korea. The IP generated by US Universities are US resources. Letting companies mine it and ship the technology overseas is as bad for our economy as companies mining raw materials and shipping them overseas was for Africa and Asia. It must be a condition of utilizing US generated IP whether it comes from US Universities or DoD contracts that the product production occur in the US for the life of the patent. Otherwise no US patent will be granted.

If we do these 2 things and stop the exploitation of US resources and IP by Multinational companies we will see our economy start to rebound. If we don't we will continue to lose ground to Asia countries that already understand this phenomenon and protect their capital and their IP.

Last edited:
14 pages of economic what if's, woulda shouldas , and how to's

and not to be sassy, some of you folks probably know economics better than this 'ol boy ever will, more power to you...

my own take is far more simplistic

i want jobs

yeah, i know i should probably stfu, and crawl back into the soup kitchen with that one.....

~S~

I have a brilliant plan to keep 100% employment.
Do like they did in the USSR - kill those who do not work!
Then we would have 100% employment.

There is no way to guarantee 100% employment in a free society. Those who want to work and are qualified for the jobs available will find a job.

If you really think that there is no control over the economy and joblessness, please DO EXPLAIN why when WWII happened, the USA could suddenly find the money and the manpower to respond.

Joblessness and poverty are entirely MANMADE events

It has to do the the trans-oceanic fiber optic cables that dramatically dropped the cost of intercontinental communications. *

The process started in 2001 and has not abated. *

Thanks. *This is exactly the same year that the labor force participation rate and employment as a percentage of the civilian popupation began falling. I am pretty sure that the labor force participation rate hit an upward bound as well, basically the US was at the absolute peak of employable adults.

It is also, if I recall correctly, the real dollar price of gasoline whent from decades of constant prices and began climbing rapidly to its peak at the beginning of the great recession. *

Are there any other things that began in the 2000 time frame?

Globalization of the economy is surely a great thing, in the long run. *Unfortunately, as many of us suspected, the process included a bit of a decline in the standard of living in some countries as it raised the living standards in others.

The problem is the US is becoming the generator of good ideas but not the producer. Hence Obama's focus on education. The problem is as a society such a model is not sustainable.

The society will quickly be split between those smart enough to be innovators and those left to be producers with little. It is not a stable long term plan. Countries in Asia don't let their capital and IP be exported. Unless we address this point we are in trouble long term.

If you really think that there is no control over the economy and joblessness, please DO EXPLAIN why when WWII happened, the USA could suddenly find the money and the manpower to respond.

Global Warming related hirings are up

But i always get in trouble blaming it on corporations ....

~S~

People were very very very poor before they invented things like farm plows so yes the dearth of inventions was man made and made man poor but then nobody ever blamed poverty on martians or trees as far as I know.

Joblessness is again man made. When liberals interfere with the law of supply and demand the the supply of jobs will always be less than the demand for jobs.

WW2 tax and spend eliminated unemployment, but we know in the end a those taxed get poorer and poorer and have less and less reason to work and soon enough you have a soviet level of poverty. I hope that makes sense.

Forum List

Back