Does anyone have a copy of the GOP "Census Imitating" letter?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I have to see it before tomorrow when my hippie co-workers are bashing my nazi co-workers with this GOP secret mailing thing the Associated Press is bringing up.

GOP sends letter appearing to be from census bureau

By STEVEN K. PAULSON, Associated Press Writer Steven K. Paulson, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 16 mins ago

DENVER – The Republican Party is seeking input and money from GOP voters — seemingly under the guise of the U.S. Census Bureau.

"Strengthening our Party for the 2010 elections is going to take a massive grassroots effort all across America. That is why I have authorized a Census to be conducted of every Congressional District in the country," GOP Chairman Michael Steele says in a letter mailed nationwide.

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM143_100122_congressional_district_census2.html

In this census year, the conservative writer Ira Stoll objects both to the style and parts of the substance:

It's problematic for three reasons. First, it uses the word "census" repeatedly to convey the false impression that it is a government document. "DO NOT DESTROY OFFICIAL DOCUMENT," the envelope says. Inside, the letterhead says "2010 Congressional District Census" and includes a survey with faux-official language like "Census Tracking Code" and "Census Certification and Reply" and "Census Document." The text of the letter includes a sentence that says "And when you send back your completed Census, I urge you to also demonstrate your commitment to the Republican Party by including a generous donation of $25, $50, $100, $250 -- or even $500." All this could easily dupe an unsuspecting target into thinking, incorrectly, that it was part of the real 2010 government census.

UPDATE: A knowledgeable Republican operative emails: "Of course duping people is the point...that's one of the reasons why it works so well. The others: low per piece cost -- they drop hundreds of thousands of pieces at a time, and will likely mail millions this year. And incredible targeting."

http://www.futureofcapitalism.com/2010/01/republicans-fundraise-using-census-deception

I received one of these in the mail but like all the other junk mail, I tossed it in the trash.

I received one of these in the mail but like all the other junk mail, I tossed it in the trash.

mine is laying on the kitchen table.. I paid no attention to it,, but I will now. I remember my husband walked into the bedroon and said.. "we got that census thingy in the mail but I'm not telling them anything except how many of us live here." I just went. :lol:

I'm going to keep mine until the Federal Census arrives.. I'm betting there isn't even a miniscule resemblance

This from the people who were calling for people not to fill out the REAL census?

jeezus, this stuff is too unbelievable to be good fiction.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., asked the Postal Service to investigate complaints about the letters in December and was rebuffed. Ken Currier, manager of government relations for the postal service, said it's clear the document was not from the government.

GOP sends letter appearing to be census form - Yahoo! News

It is also clear that the Amish heaters are virtually no more efficient than any other electric heater of the same electircal consumption rating.

People still buy them though at 300-500 a pop.

huh. So it is a legitimate scam.

Guess I'll bring this up every time someone tells me the press unfairly hops on the Republicans or something similar.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., asked the Postal Service to investigate complaints about the letters in December and was rebuffed. Ken Currier, manager of government relations for the postal service, said it's clear the document was not from the government.

It is also clear that the Amish heaters are virtually no more efficient than any other electric heater of the same electircal consumption rating.

so you blame the amish huh....:lol:

Nope, just the point of it being legal but still a scam.

Being legal often has nothing to do with what is right.

both are intentionally deceptive while being legal.

Last edited:

how is it a scam? they make a product and people willingly pay the difference....its called business and percieved value....by calling it a scam, you're blaming the amish

your analogy doesn't work at all. seems to me the pubs know and intended to fool some people, while apparently it is clear it is not from the government, i don't think we should mess with government forms like that. i also think it sends a poor message, that repubs need to try and fool people to get them to respond to a letter. making a letter appear like something it is not, is not analogous to a business creating a product and then selling it at a higher rate. it just might be the amish heaters last longer etc....or the intrinsic value of buying something amish made.

i'll wait to see a copy before passing judgment though

how is it a scam? they make a product and people willingly pay the difference....its called business and percieved value....by calling it a scam, you're blaming the amish

your analogy doesn't work at all. seems to me the pubs know and intended to fool some people, while apparently it is clear it is not from the government, i don't think we should mess with government forms like that. i also think it sends a poor message, that repubs need to try and fool people to get them to respond to a letter. making a letter appear like something it is not, is not analogous to a business creating a product and then selling it at a higher rate. it just might be the amish heaters last longer etc....or the intrinsic value of buying something amish made.

Partisan hack alert.
Keep the limp squids on standby.

Forum List

Back