Does Anyone Find 'A Woman Speaker' A Victory For All Women?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hey, I'm all for everyone getting to the top of their profession, if they've earned it. Pelosi has done what she needed to in order to achieve her position. She deserves it. But how in the world is is a victory for 'all women?' It's not.

Now if she had kept all those democratic votes in line for all those years and then the old, white men had found a way to sideline her, one could cry foul! But it didn't happen and all it illustrates to me that the 'glass or marble ceiling' deal has been overstated for quite awhile.

I haven't doubted that a woman or black could be elected President for the past few election cycles. Colin Powell a couple back could have, but he chose for personal reasons not to run. Obama's supporters bring up race, which I see as a cover for his real liability, inexperience. It might work, I dunno, but if it does, many will not feel comfortable, and it won't be because he's black.

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yes, I think that women have proven themselves in so many venues that the feminist complaints today fall on deaf ears. I still think that men have more to offer in terms of true leadership, but I grant that occasionally a woman just has bigger balls.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So Pelosi's projection of 'bigger balls' is a victory for 'all women'?

4. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    You are correct there. The NAACP and NOW are simply side shows that continue to exist to keep minorities and women voting Democrat.

5. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    No-- it's a victory for all white, rich, leftist women.

6. wiggles

wiggles Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Only 203 women have ever served in Congress since the body was founded. There are still people who actually think women are inherently less capable of holding their own in leadership positions. Frustrates the hell out of me. So obviously the playing field isn't exactly level, but it's getting there.

As far as Pelosi being made Speaker - I'm not doing cartwheels over it, but I believe it's about damn time. She's certainly no less competant than Dennis Hastert.

It's kind of like with black actors winning Oscars; the first time's a big deal, then subsequent times it gets to be less and less of a big deal until it just happens and no one thinks anything of it anymore.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Question for the class:

Why is the selection of a well known long term pol to the position of house speaker more newsworthy than the selection of the first black female to be national security advisor who then became the second woman (and first minority woman) to be secretary of state?

8. wiggles

wiggles Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Is it more newsworthy? I thought Condi got quite a lot of mention for that. She's been in the cabinet more than six years. It's not exactly breaking news anymore.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Can you make this more concise? Right now it's not more than an ineffectual rant.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'd say there's a world of difference and the current trends are not in Condi's favor. Which should make dems gleeful, since she was from a relatively lower background than the arugument goes...(Though real high for a black woman) LOL