Does anyone else see the irony of this?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
In my opinion, the politicalization of Coretta Scott King's funeral defiled her. The woman fought for equality , and for a while that's what they had. However, now it seems like the black and minority populations want to be more than equal. During the coming of Katrina, there were no buses to take the white people out. There were no buses to take the black people out. Granted, there probably should have been, but that is equality. Do you guys see what i'm saying?

Semper Fi said:
In my opinion, the politicalization of Coretta Scott King's funeral defiled her. The woman fought for equality , and for a while that's what they had. However, now it seems like the black and minority populations want to be more than equal. During the coming of Katrina, there were no buses to take the white people out. There were no buses to take the black people out. Granted, there probably should have been, but that is equality. Do you guys see what i'm saying?

the white folk drove their own cars out......the black folk don't have their own cars....the white folk bought houses on the high ground ..... the black folk bought houses on the low ground ..... it all just isn't fair

manu1959 said:
the white folk drove their own cars out......the black folk don't have their own cars....the white folk bought houses on the high ground ..... the black folk bought houses on the low ground ..... it all just isn't fair

But in the 1960's (the era in which most equal-rights kingpins campaigned, as Im sure you know) the same situation would have resulted in the white people probably recieving some sort of governmental advantage over the blacks. The Civil Rights movement ended all that, and what happens now is pretty much fair game, except with historical influence. Look at Eminem, there are white people in poverty too, unless his raps are lies....

Semper Fi said:
But in the 1960's (the era in which most equal-rights kingpins campaigned, as Im sure you know) the same situation would have resulted in the white people probably recieving some sort of governmental advantage over the blacks. The Civil Rights movement ended all that, and what happens now is pretty much fair game, except with historical influence. Look at Eminem, there are white people in poverty too, unless his raps are lies....

hmmmmmmmm. ya got me there

Maybe white people don't like to even admit that there are poor, uneducated whites or prefer to make fun of them instead of championing thier cause.

Semper Fi said:

While I was watching the funeral,I was actually a little nervous for Bush. I was wondering what kind of reaction he might get. To my surprise,it was a pretty warm welcome. Good I thought. I walked away from the t.v. for a while and watched it off and on. Later that night,what do I see? A bunch of politcal clips from a reverend whoever and Jimmy Carter. I knew somewhere along the line someone was going to do this. Use her death as a means of getting political agenda across. Whatever she did to advance equality...fine. Talk about it. I'm sure she didn't like a lot of Bush's policies,but I don't know that she would have wanted her own funeral to be about that.

krisy said:
While I was watching the funeral,I was actually a little nervous for Bush. I was wondering what kind of reaction he might get. To my surprise,it was a pretty warm welcome. Good I thought. I walked away from the t.v. for a while and watched it off and on. Later that night,what do I see? A bunch of politcal clips from a reverend whoever and Jimmy Carter. I knew somewhere along the line someone was going to do this. Use her death as a means of getting political agenda across. Whatever she did to advance equality...fine. Talk about it. I'm sure she didn't like a lot of Bush's policies,but I don't know that she would have wanted her own funeral to be about that.

Well gosh...Just how do you separate a person from their life's work. After her husband was assassinated, Mrs. King carried on his work and left her own indelible mark on US politics and civil rights policy. The Reverend Lowrey's and Jimmy Carter's remarks were well within the context of her memorial service.

That Dubbyuh had the cojones to show up at all was surprising, to say the least. His squirming and smirking in the background reminded me of a fidgeting child at church. He got better from Rev. Lowrey ans Mr. Carter than he deserved.

Bullypulpit said:
Well gosh...Just how do you separate a person from their life's work. After her husband was assassinated, Mrs. King carried on his work and left her own indelible mark on US politics and civil rights policy. The Reverend Lowrey's and Jimmy Carter's remarks were well within the context of her memorial service.

I completely disagree. That's putting political agendas into historical contexts, which in my book is not a good idea. If it was my funeral, I would want people to recognize my life, not use it and push a red herring. Those fellas made a bad decision.

Bullypulpit said:

That Dubbyuh had the cojones to show up at all was surprising, to say the least. His squirming and smirking in the background reminded me of a fidgeting child at church. He got better from Rev. Lowrey ans Mr. Carter than he deserved.

The problem is that Carter wasn't talking only about her life's work,but using it as an opportunity to bash Bush. That is exactly what he was doing. There is no denying it. Did Carter push the fact that it was a member of the Democratic party that had the Kings wiretapped? And what do weapons of mass destruction that were brought up in the Reverends speech have to do with Mrs. King?

krisy said:
The problem is that Carter wasn't talking only about her life's work,but using it as an opportunity to bash Bush. That is exactly what he was doing. There is no denying it. Did Carter push the fact that it was a member of the Democratic party that had the Kings wiretapped? And what do weapons of mass destruction that were brought up in the Reverends speech have to do with Mrs. King?

krisy 1, bullypulpit 0

Forum List

Back