Does anyone else have trouble following quotes in posted replies?

I guess I didn’t express myself well in my original post. I don’t have any problem choosing the quote, or part of a quote that I want to respond to. I just highlight the desired part of a post as you all do.
====
In my OP I was talking about when a lot of qoutes are contained in a members reply to a thread. It is often difficult to tell who said what because all of the qoutes are outlined in lines of the same color. You have ALL of the names of the people quoted at the very top of the reply, but their quoted material is placed far below their name — and all of the connecting lines are the same color.

I’ve included a screenshot of an expanded post to show what I’m talking about. Sometimes there are so many qoutes, or the qoutes are so long, that they go off-screen. This is where connecting lines of different colors could help keep track of who said what. Hope that makes sense. I'm talking about trying to follow the history of what the member is replying to.

This wouldn't be necessary if everyone included ONLY the sentence or paragraph they meant to reply to. But many members do not know, or don't bother to highlight only the portion they are taking issue with.

View attachment 168558

I understand exactly what you are talking about that is confusing sometimes especially if the thread is very long. But I’m seeing 2 different things on my side.
1. Every time I enter this site I’m already in all the time. If I want to quote or like this is what I have:
Quote Like Share More

2. If I press More it will say Web View. Then it takes me to the other side just like your picture. But I rarely go there to post or quote. I only go there to log in then check my email and other stuff. Aside from that I don’t go there.

What I see (regularly) with multiple quotes or post is the name of a posters on the left then at the right side there is a little circle with an arrow pointing up inside the circle. Also no green color only black and white.
All collapse together with note SEE MORE.. You pressed that little circle and you can see clearly who/what was posted. It’s very easy this way and I do not have problems.

I’m not sure if everyone is this way.

I guess I didn’t express myself well in my original post. I don’t have any problem choosing the quote, or part of a quote that I want to respond to. I just highlight the desired part of a post as you all do.
====
In my OP I was talking about when a lot of qoutes are contained in a members reply to a thread. It is often difficult to tell who said what because all of the qoutes are outlined in lines of the same color. You have ALL of the names of the people quoted at the very top of the reply, but their quoted material is placed far below their name — and all of the connecting lines are the same color.

I’ve included a screenshot of an expanded post to show what I’m talking about. Sometimes there are so many qoutes, or the qoutes are so long, that they go off-screen. This is where connecting lines of different colors could help keep track of who said what. Hope that makes sense. I'm talking about trying to follow the history of what the member is replying to.

This wouldn't be necessary if everyone included ONLY the sentence or paragraph they meant to reply to. But many members do not know, or don't bother to highlight only the portion they are taking issue with.

View attachment 168558

I understand exactly what you are talking about that is confusing sometimes especially if the thread is very long. But I’m seeing 2 different things on my side.
1. Every time I enter this site I’m already in all the time. If I want to quote or like this is what I have:
Quote Like Share More

2. If I press More it will say Web View. Then it takes me to the other side just like your picture. But I rarely go there to post or quote. I only go there to log in then check my email and other stuff. Aside from that I don’t go there.

What I see (regularly) with multiple quotes or post is the name of a posters on the left then at the right side there is a little circle with an arrow pointing up inside the circle. Also no green color only black and white.
All collapse together with note SEE MORE.. You pressed that little circle and you can see clearly who/what was posted. It’s very easy this way and I do not have problems.

That's interesting. I don't see the same things you do.

What kind of computer are you using. And what web browser? It sounds like you have some options that are not available on my browser.

It’s often helpful to go through quotes contained in a reply in order to understand a member’s point of view when he responds to a thread. But following the quotes can be confusing.

At present, all of the lines tying a quote together: the name of the person being quoted, the line extending down to the quoted material, and the line surrounding the quoted statement, all use the same pale green color.

Then every other quote included uses the very same shit green color.

When there are more than a couple of quotes contained in a member’s reply, it gets difficult to follow the ownership, and sequence, of the quoted material. That is, it quickly becomes difficult to tell who made which statement. Everything is muddled because every quote is outlined in the very same green color.

It would be FAR easier to follow quoted material in a member’s reply if each quote were outlined in a different color.

For instance, the first quote might use the present shit-green color.
Second quote could use pale yellow for the lines surrounding quoted material.
Third quote might use pale orange.
fourth quote could be surrounded in soft red. etc.

Can the USMB powers that be contact the sofware developer to request such a change (improvement)? If they agree with the idea, that is.

More than two quotes I generally ignore the post. And any post that chops up what you said into these one sentence blurbs that have a one sentence reply also get ignored.

You have to recognize the medium in which you work and edit accordingly. Otherwise it isn't worth the time.

====

View attachment 168558

Quote Like Share More

What kind of computer are you using. And what web browser? It sounds like you have some options that are not available on my browser.

With multi tasking and several activities going on most of the time. Plus always on the go. About 99% I use my iPhone X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

====

View attachment 168558

Quote Like Share More

With multi tasking and several activities going on most of the time. Plus always on the go. About 99% I use my iPhone X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I'm on a Mac mini or sometimes a PowerBook running Safari as my browser. That explains why we see different things onscreen and why we're presented different options. Thanks for the reply.

The only answer is to teach others to take the few seconds to do it right. I think everyone understood, but there is nothing you can do about another's laziness, just your own response.

Probably easier than getting someone to color code each response.

If everyone did what I do, there'd be no trouble following quotes.
You'd have more success trying to teach monkeys to type than with getting everyone on USMB to do anything the same way.

Just quote the posts the normal way. Otherwise, you end up attributing quotes to the wrong person or just messing up the whole quotes! That is way more annoying, so don't try to be smart and mess with things! :eusa_naughty:

Forum List

Back