Does anyone buy fresh potatoes?

nt250

Jun 2, 2006
I discovered two great things: canned potatoes and instant mashed potatoes.

These things are the greatest invention sinced sliced bread.
Canned whole potatoes are great roasted. I make a pork roast and I throw two cans of medium whole potatoes right in the roasting pan. Liquid and all. It makes a great gravy.

Yesterday I put some olive oil on a cookie sheet, drained the potatoes, drizzled some olive oil, some salt and pepper, and put them in a 450 degree oven. Meanwhile, I cooked a couple of steaks and I used the liquid from the potatoes, stirred it into a roux, added the pan drippings from the steaks, and man it was good gravy. I also roasted some mushrooms and asparagus and frozen pearl onions. Frozen pearl onions are great.

And instant mashed potatoes? OMIGOD! What a time saver! And they're good.

I will never peel another potato in my life.

Canned whole potatoes are great roasted. I make a pork roast and I throw two cans of medium whole potatoes right in the roasting pan. Liquid and all. It makes a great gravy.

Yesterday I put some olive oil on a cookie sheet, drained the potatoes, drizzled some olive oil, some salt and pepper, and put them in a 450 degree oven. Meanwhile, I cooked a couple of steaks and I used the liquid from the potatoes, stirred it into a roux, added the pan drippings from the steaks, and man it was good gravy. I also roasted some mushrooms and asparagus and frozen pearl onions. Frozen pearl onions are great.

Have you tried the microwaveable tubs of mashed potatoes...think Country Crock is one brand. They're really good.

Have you tried the microwaveable tubs of mashed potatoes...think Country Crock is one brand. They're really good.

No, I didn't even know they made those. I'll check it out.

The thing about microwaving is that sometimes it actually takes longer. Instant mashed potatoes really are instant. It takes a couple of minutes to boil the water, milk, and butter. That's it. Once you stir the flakes in it's done. My new stove has one of those dual burner settings on it so I can literally boil a cup of water in about 2 minutes.

I really like cooking with electric. I think it's much better than gas. It's faster, I think you can control the heat much better, and there's no gas to worry about. I think a lot of cooks are snobs when it comes to cooking on an electric stove. I think they're a great thing.

What a great post! I love the canned potatoes, especially for soups and stews. I found that real potatoes really get too soft in the crock pot with chicken or pot roast, so I come home and throw a couple cans in, about an hour before serving.

The 'Idahoan' brand of mashed potatoes are great! I've tried the traditional, butter, garlic and butter, sour cream & chive, and our favorite, loaded. 2C. boiling water, open envelope, stir, wait a minute. Eat.

Now I do serve baked potatoes, so those I buy fresh. I did try the 'double baked', but they were too dry.

What a great post! I love the canned potatoes, especially for soups and stews. I found that real potatoes really get too soft in the crock pot with chicken or pot roast, so I come home and throw a couple cans in, about an hour before serving.

The 'Idahoan' brand of mashed potatoes are great! I've tried the traditional, butter, garlic and butter, sour cream & chive, and our favorite, loaded. 2C. boiling water, open envelope, stir, wait a minute. Eat.

Now I do serve baked potatoes, so those I buy fresh. I did try the 'double baked', but they were too dry.

Yes, baked potatoes are really the only reason I would buy fresh potatoes anymore (you don't have to peel them!). But, hey, you gotta save some treats for when you go out to eat, so I'll leave baked potatoes in that category.

You know what else canned potatoes are really good for? Homefries. You can buy them in the can sliced already, but I just get the whole potatoes. That way I can use them for anything. I buy both the medium and the small. The small ones make really good homefries.

I cut them in half, or in thirds depending on how big they are, and then I fry them in lots of butter. I let one side get all crispy, turn then over for a minute or two, and then I serve it with steak or veal. They're better than french fries.

Homefries are also good with toast and apple jelly. It's a flavor combination that is just really, really good.

Edited to add:

Canned potatoes are really cheap, too. I bought some the other day for 79 cents a can. When they are on sale, I've gotten them for 50 cents. And a package of instant mashed potatoes lasts me weeks.

Sure as hell beats having to throw out old, rotten, potatoes.
What a mess a rotten potato makes.

Much better than the instant if you want good potatoes fast.

* I do prefer fresh home-made though.*

I actually like mashed potatoes with the skins still on them. Not the big baking kind, but if the peel is fairly thin I really like it mashed with the skins.

UNFORTUNATELY, nobody else in my family will eat them that way.

I swear to god my kids dislike of any food is direct proportion to how easy it is to make.

I actually like mashed potatoes with the skins still on them. Not the big baking kind, but if the peel is fairly thin I really like it mashed with the skins.

UNFORTUNATELY, nobody else in my family will eat them that way.

I swear to god my kids dislike of any food is direct proportion to how easy it is to make.

Me too.

We use fresh potatoes for donner, and I have a box of instant mashed potatoes for quick lunches. I have never used canned potatoes, but they do sound like they would be good in the crock pot.

Are the canned potatoes already cooked?

I really like cooking with electric. I think it's much better than gas. It's faster, I think you can control the heat much better, and there's no gas to worry about. I think a lot of cooks are snobs when it comes to cooking on an electric stove. I think they're a great thing.

And you're highly misguided..... Gas is preferred by cooks because it's SUPERIOR to electric tops - it heats faster, has instant cool-down and provides much better control while cooking.

To even suggest that cooks/chefs are "snobs" shows your ignorance. They prefer Gas because it's better...

If you want a faster heat than gas? You'll have to go to an induction cook-top.

And you're highly misguided..... Gas is preferred by cooks because it's SUPERIOR to electric tops - it heats faster, has instant cool-down and provides much better control while cooking.

To even suggest that cooks/chefs are "snobs" shows your ignorance. They prefer Gas because it's better...

If you want a faster heat than gas? You'll have to go to an induction cook-top.

:thup:

Electric stoves are the lazy man's cooking tool. Problem is, most people have a bad gas stove that they base their experiences on. That, and it's not as easy as setting the dial to medium.

Gas is just not as convenient/idiot proof to the average joe.

LOL...and to think these same ladies were bragging about all the time, effort and money they put in on their remodeled kitchens in another thread...now they are talking about instant potatoes! Go figure...My kitchen is simple...yet I go for fresh foods everytime...once in awhile frozen...and gas is way better as cp and mr p said...as is bbq!:cof:

Electric stoves are the lazy man's cooking tool. Problem is, most people have a bad gas stove that they base their experiences on. That, and it's not as easy as setting the dial to medium.

Gas is just not as convenient/idiot proof to the average joe.

I think that's VERY true! Most people just "cook", they're not even cooks or amateur chefs. They simply prepare. Simplicity is THE KEY for most folks.

I think that's VERY true! Most people just "cook", they're not even cooks or amateur chefs. They simply prepare. Simplicity is THE KEY for most folks.
I think prepare might even be a stretch... they heat/re-heat... and sometimes assemble 2 or 3 prepared components into a meal.

Forum List

Back