Does anyone actually agree with the stament

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
put out by the US embassy in Egypt?

Lets break it down and examine each sentence to see just how abhorrent it really is.

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.

Why is the government condemning the legal actions of private citizens? Do we really want our government making judgements based on how people react to something?

Before anyone points out Bush did the same thing, I will save you the time and admit he condemned the cartoons about Mohammad. Guess what, he was wrong too.

By the way, what makes religious feelings special? Should we also condemn blonde jokes so we don't hurt the feelings of blondes?

Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy.

Sorry, we were honoring them because they are worthy of honor, not because it is a great way to tweak the noses of enemies of democracy. We would honor them even if democracy had no enemies because that is the way we are.

Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy.

Can anyone tell me when this happened? I thought this was about religious freedom, no respect for religious beliefs. Does this mean atheism is illegal in American democracy?

We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

I am sorry, but what the fuck? It is not abuse of free speech to hurt religious beliefs. Science hurts religious beliefs all the time, is that abuse of free speech?

This statement is not just un-American, it is actually anti-American. It conflicts with everything Americans believe and stand for. I cannot honestly see how anyone can actually support it, and can only imagine progressives quibbling with me about one of the sentences. The rest of it should offend them to their bones, just like it does me, even if the reasons are different.

Do they know what it says in the book of islam about non muslims?

I bet not...

Forum List

Back