Does anybody else here feel that Donations

no1tovote4

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
Colorado
For Katrina ravaged areas are no longer needed, the Government already donated all the money they will need FOR us?

no1tovote4 said:
For Katrina ravaged areas are no longer needed, the Government already donated all the money they will need FOR us?

donating to the red cross can't hurt....they do good work

manu1959 said:
donating to the red cross can't hurt....they do good work

I donate to them yearly regardless of disasters. However, I can't see why it would be necessary to donate to any more relief for Katrina itself as it has already been donated for us.

There are a lot of things the government should be doing for the people (disease research comes to mind) that instead they encourage us to donate to charities. "Thousand points of light" etc. That frees up more money for their pork barrel stuff.

Nuc said:
There are a lot of things the government should be doing for the people (disease research comes to mind) that instead they encourage us to donate to charities. "Thousand points of light" etc. That frees up more money for their pork barrel stuff.
Sad, but probably true.

Nuc said:

i don't want my tax dollars going towards research i feel is immoral-human fetus stem cell research comes to mind.

if private companies that want to engage in this, fine. it's their money. But you know why private companies do not want to do research like this? They are afraid to take the risk. People like Bill Gates (and other high buck/hollywood elitists) push for government sponsorship of this research instead of using their own $. Why? They have more than enough money to fund their own research company. It's because they would rather the government (read: the rest of the country) take the risk, so their money is not directly funding a theory rather than a proven fact. And theories can be proven false.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i don't want my tax dollars going towards research i feel is immoral-human fetus stem cell research comes to mind.

That's not what I'm talking about. Take cancer research for example. It's something that has touched everybody who is reading this. My wife and I both lost our fathers to it. Nevertheless I feel compelled to donate to American Cancer Society. This despite the enormous taxes I pay. Why shouldn't the government be using our tax money to fight this scourge?

My son has a terminal genetic disease. I am always participating in charity events to raise money to fight this disease. With the amount of taxes we all pay I'd rather see Centers for Disease Control coming up with a cure.

Charities of this sort are like another tax. If people want to donate to their church or their local opera that's one thing. Fighting diseases that affect every American citizen should not be our private problem.

Nuc said:
That's not what I'm talking about. Take cancer research for example. It's something that has touched everybody who is reading this. My wife and I both lost our fathers to it. Nevertheless I feel compelled to donate to American Cancer Society. This despite the enormous taxes I pay. Why shouldn't the government be using our tax money to fight this scourge?

My son has a terminal genetic disease. I am always participating in charity events to raise money to fight this disease. With the amount of taxes we all pay I'd rather see Centers for Disease Control coming up with a cure.

Charities of this sort are like another tax. If people want to donate to their church or their local opera that's one thing. Fighting diseases that affect every American citizen should not be our private problem.
My Dad too.
Sorry about your Son.

Nuc said:

everyone has their own cases and sob stories. My grandmother whom raised me from the age of 3, passed away from leukemia when i was 15. I had to move, change high schools, and my whole life-at 15, which is a hard enough age without having to uproot from the only home I knew.

My grandpa just went thru surgery for prostate cancer. My husband's friend's mom, who was a great friend of our family, died from pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. My grandma's sister died from lymphoma 2 months ago. My best friend's mother is battling melanoma. Her sister has ovarian cancer and has been given 6 months to live. She's only 33 and has 2 kids under 3 yrs. She will never see them grow up.

I still don't think tax dollars should fund medical research completely. Maybe grants and such could help, but if the government is so inept at disaster relief as we are constantly being told now by your lot, then why would you want them to fund health care research?

If anything, I think we should be able to vote on more of these issues rather than leave it to the politicians to decide for us. I don't want money that is taken unwillingly from my hard earned paycheck to fund research techniques i feel are immoral. Donate as much money as you want to research companies that do this, but leave my money out of it.

fuzzykitten99 said:
everyone has their own cases and sob stories. My grandmother whom raised me from the age of 3, passed away from leukemia when i was 15. I had to move, change high schools, and my whole life-at 15, which is a hard enough age without having to uproot from the only home I knew.

My grandpa just went thru surgery for prostate cancer. My husband's friend's mom, who was a great friend of our family, died from pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. My grandma's sister died from lymphoma 2 months ago. My best friend's mother is battling melanoma. Her sister has ovarian cancer and has been given 6 months to live. She's only 33 and has 2 kids under 3 yrs. She will never see them grow up.

I still don't think tax dollars should fund medical research completely. Maybe grants and such could help, but if the government is so inept at disaster relief as we are constantly being told now by your lot, then why would you want them to fund health care research?

If anything, I think we should be able to vote on more of these issues rather than leave it to the politicians to decide for us. I don't want money that is taken unwillingly from my hard earned paycheck to fund research techniques i feel are immoral. Donate as much money as you want to research companies that do this, but leave my money out of it.

why is it that the medical research companies are not investing their own hard earned cash to help all of us...what is the medical creed all about anyway..I'm sure it was not profit!

fuzzykitten99 said:

Sure and expand this concept so everyone approves of where their tax $$$ are going.

I'm trying to remain optimistic that some of this money will pad the Red Cross wallet for the next disaster but then again, I'm not holding my breath. I guess the Red Cross' finances are public?

dilloduck said:
I'm trying to remain optimistic that some of this money will pad the Red Cross wallet for the next disaster but then again, I'm not holding my breath. I guess the Red Cross' finances are public?

I'm pretty sure I posted this from day 1. The Red Cross is the best, along with the Salvation Army for immediate relief in disasters. However, as 9/11 once again illustrated, after a certain point and amount, they tend to 'misplace $$.' Last I heard, Katrina had brought in more than 9/11. Enough.

Nuc said:

The problem is that the government is a bueracracy. It is not efficient in ANYTHING it undertakes that doesnt involve the military. We spend trillions in taxes to fund all these programs to fight poverty, to fight drugs, to fight illiteracy, etc. How come we still have poor, drugged out people who cant read? Because the government is inept at keeping track of the programs they create.

Think of a business. A business has a budget, a business plan, achievable monthly and annual goals. They hire within their means to achieve this goal and maintain their budget. If they go over budget, they usually go out of business. The government doesnt have this problem. They never run out of money so they never worry about the details of "budgets" or "business plans" or even "Achievable goals." They simply say something general like "War on Poverty", throw trillions at it and feel good about themselves for doing something. They never follow the results. Never bother checking where the money goes. they simply write the check and the rest be damned.

Why do we want the government running something as important as scientific reasearch that has lifesaving potential? Like someone else said, grants can be issued for those who wish to start up research but after criteria are met to receive the money and goals are achieved to receive MORE money. The private sector is the most efficient (other than the military) at solving problems, even large ones like cancer, etc. We need more private citizens stepping forward and running these projects and less government funding for dead end programs.

Nuc said:
Sure and expand this concept so everyone approves of where their tax $$$ are going.

but it would never be allowed by your lot, because it would mean less free handouts to lazy bums, forcing them to take responsibility and WORK for a change. Oh the humanity! Many state and federal programs would be shut down, leaving those people to actually go out and look for a job instead of sitting on their asses, saying "oh, poor me, i am so oppressed..."blah blah blah

Work harder! People who are fully capable of working, are on welfare, and they depend on you!

fuzzykitten99 said:
but it would never be allowed by your lot, because it would mean less free handouts to lazy bums, forcing them to take responsibility and WORK for a change. Oh the humanity! Many state and federal programs would be shut down, leaving those people to actually go out and look for a job instead of sitting on their asses, saying "oh, poor me, i am so oppressed..."blah blah blah

Work harder! People who are fully capable of working, are on welfare, and they depend on you!

What is this "your lot" bullshit?
:wank: :2guns: :whip:

fuzzykitten99 said:
you and the rest of the democRats...

I'm sick of you idiotic liberals and your "gimme" mentality. When will you start to think for yourself instead of kowtowing to Michael Moore?
:poop: :link: :blues: :mm: :dev1: :huh: :clap:

Forum List

Back