Does any religion understand astronomy?

lol ... really?

I feel like I'm the only person not caught up in Avatar hype. I couldn't even tell you what the movie is about.

But since you asked ... Scarlett will do. You don't mind taking care of Jessica for me, do you?

:lol: I just know the plot because I read the parody online. I'm not really caught up in the hype, but I couldn't resist the joke.

And damn, well, I guess so. But do know, I'm suffering slightly on the inside. :eusa_eh: :lol:

Any being advanced enough to cross ther intersteller distances involved would have no reason to stop at earth unless we were tasty to them.

So the Europeans, who were advanced enough to travel the oceans, only stopped in America because the Natives were tasty to them?

What ever happened to wanting to learn about something simply because its there? I mean look at human beings, sure, we cant travel through space, but we are fascinating creatures. Look at this message board for example. You have people with thousands of different ideas and experiences talking with one another. Some are brilliant, some are dumb. Some are young, some are old. Some are civilized and some are just plain unpleasant to be around.

We are all the same speciaes, the same family, yet we are so complex and unique that no two people are the same, even if they look it.

Does an anthropologist study human tribal communities because he is hungry and they look tasty? Or is it because no matter what is in the universe, there is always something new to learn and discover. No matter how long we live, we can always grow and learn something more?

The europeans were after gold and such. Slaves worked out too.

How can you equate europeans to as of yet unknown aliens?
Libertarians maybe, but not europeans.

The europeans were after gold and such. Slaves worked out too.

How can you equate europeans to as of yet unknown aliens?
Libertarians maybe, but not europeans.

I have no idea. How could I equate the people who first developed the technology and used it to circumnavigate the globe with aliens who sail through space discovering new things in the universe?

After all, we all know how involved the Libertarians were in all that exploration of the world around us.

What the heck are you talking about? What kind of moron doesnt believe there are other galaxies out there? What religion teaches that bullcrap? You can see other galaxies with your naked eye on the right now. Your whole premise makes absolutely no sense.

Calm down, I assume you are talking about my friends premise makes absolutely no sense? To him it does, because he believes in the bible.

My buddys a Christian. Pretty hardcore Christian. We're at the airport, getting some reading material, and he just laughs at a pic of a supernova I'm looking at in an astronomy magazine. It just steamrolls from there. He tells me God created the world, and laughs at the way scientist describe it being created. It's a "theory" he tells me. Then we start off into the number of stars in our own galaxy is roughly 400 billion, again "theory" he tells me. I tell him that a good number of these stars have planets or moons orbiting them, most of them dead, made of gases, misc elements, ect. I tell him that I think maybe, just maybe, one of those has life on it, I even throw in that God probably put life on it to make him happy. Then he shocks me with an answer of "that's total crap". All this coming from a 3.8 gpa business student. I used to get into it with my old boss (hardcore jack-Mormon) about how you can literally see back in time with a telescope. He just laughed when I tried to explain it.

I've received crap over the years about astronomy, this last debate I had turned my head so much I started to wonder if some religious people are stuck waaaay back in time, with an explanation for everything being "because God did it". Whats wrong with trying to learn "how" he did it?

Forum List

Back