Does a Right to Privacy Exist in the US Constitution?

Does a Right to Privacy Exist in the US Constitution?

• Yes

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • It was found by ultra liberal activist Judges

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I have the same conflict with the Law that Billy Clinton got passed on the Motor voters law. This was where the USSC ok the law. This did not met the States needs for Doc needed to vote.

What language was that supposed to be?

Most of the individual words look English-like, but they do not appear to be arranged in any manner that communicates any coherent meaning in English.

Swing Justice Potter Stewart and Justice Hugo Black disagreed in Griswold v Connecticut. The decision was 7 - 2 in favor. The big deal was Justice Douglas, ultra liberal accused-activist Judge. Doe any of it matter?

Question
Does the Constitution protect the right of marital privacy against state restrictions on a couple's ability to be counseled in the use of contraceptives?

{{meta.pageTitle}}

My Question(s): Do you stand on principle, or do you agree or disagree because of personalities involved or a judicial philosophy?

and

Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?
Says every citizen of the Nation has the right to pvty in his papers and stuff. Bill of Rights. But some question has come into the conversation that Lawyers client privileged might not be after Mueller s raid on several law offices
So you cannot answer the question?

My Question(s): Do you stand on principle, or do you agree or disagree because of personalities involved or a judicial philosophy?

and

Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?

and this nonsense fed to you people by nuts like Rudy G., some question has come into the conversation that Lawyers client privileged might not be after Mueller s raid on several law offices." ??????? You do know lawyers involved in a crime do not get the privilege? Happened with Mafia lawyers and Corporate lawyers before. But FOX News doesn't feed you people the whole truth, do they

Swing Justice Potter Stewart and Justice Hugo Black disagreed in Griswold v Connecticut. The decision was 7 - 2 in favor. The big deal was Justice Douglas, ultra liberal accused-activist Judge. Doe any of it matter?

Question
Does the Constitution protect the right of marital privacy against state restrictions on a couple's ability to be counseled in the use of contraceptives?

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

Fourth amendment
really? Spell it out

Do you even know what 'liberty' is?

Freedom from government-over-man. This is all that it means in relation to our compound Republic.

I'd add that liberty should never be spoken or written absent the term responsibility. Liberty-Responsibility. That is to say that for every such right there is a correlative, inseparable duty and for every aspect of freedom there is a corresponding responsibility; so that it is always Right-Duty and Freedom-Responsibility, or Liberty- Responsibility. There is a duty, or responsibility, to God as the giver of these unalienable rights: a moral duty to keep secure and use soundly these gifts, with due respect for the equal rights of others and for the right of Posterity to their just heritage of liberty. Since this moral duty cannot be surrendered, bartered, given away, abandoned, delegated or otherwise alienated, so is the inseparable right likewise unalienable.

The latter few sentences are referenced from a great book on the topic to save me some typing, but rather concise and clearly written if I do say so myself. The American ideal of 1776: the twelve basic American principles by Hamilton Abert Long, 1976.

But I assure you I'm fully capable of expanding upon it myself, if necessary. :)

But I will show you what a true believer in liberty is like. pay attention

Ha. You are out of your league, meat. But I'll permit you the courtesy of educating me. I like to learn. It's one of my favorite things to do. Heh heh. Show us that wisdom of yours.
First off, easy to see through you - republic with a capital "R"? Oh, another Stable Genius ye be, I am sure (Heh, heh, heh... :abgg2q.jpg:).

Can you give any links to Madison/Adams and others speaking or writing about liberty being "Freedom from government-over-man?" I do know the English/British colonists, who until 1776 were loyal subjects or a sovereign King .. were insisting that their forebears (my family) carried English/British rights and liberties across the pond

you write like you're regurgitating some pseudo-intellectual, libertarian bullshit. If you were to form thoughts in your own words and not regurgitate dogma and speak an ideological lingo -- people might actually listen to you

The fourth amendment covers it

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I think the first part says it all! We all have a constitutional right to our privacy, not to be violated without due process.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

Says every citizen of the Nation has the right to pvty in his papers and stuff. Bill of Rights. But some question has come into the conversation that Lawyers client privileged might not be after Mueller s raid on several law offices

and

and this nonsense fed to you people by nuts like Rudy G., some question has come into the conversation that Lawyers client privileged might not be after Mueller s raid on several law offices." ??????? You do know lawyers involved in a crime do not get the privilege? Happened with Mafia lawyers and Corporate lawyers before. But FOX News doesn't feed you people the whole truth, do they

The constitution is not an exhaustive list of rights. Its an exhaustive list of powers.

Read the 9th amendment. A right need not be enumerated to be retained by the people.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

I will think this over and give you my own opinion before reading the thread. What I can say is this:

You may not find the exact wording in the Constitution that would settle the issue, but if we look to court precedents along with the attitudes of the founders and what motivated them - AND how they admonished us to interpret the Constitution, you will get a clearer picture of the truth.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

and

The constitution is not an exhaustive list of rights. Its an exhaustive list of powers.

Read the 9th amendment. A right need not be enumerated to be retained by the people.

Exactly. The right to private property is protected in much the same way.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

and

Exactly. The right to private property is protected in much the same way.

I've never had a problem with the courts extending protections to the rights of the people. Its expansions of government power that I'm much more suspect of. As its government powers that the constitution limits.

Not rights. The constitution neither creates nor limits rights. It creates and limits powers.

Anyone demanding that a 'right' be enumerated in the constitution to exist doesn't understand what rights or the constitution actually are.

I've never had a problem with the courts extending protections to the rights of the people. Its expansions of government power that I'm much more suspect of. As its government powers that the constitution limits.

Not rights. The constitution neither creates nor limits rights. It creates and limits powers.

Anyone demanding that a 'right' be enumerated in the constitution to exist doesn't understand what rights or the constitution actually are.

Damn Skylar :thankusmile:

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

I will think this over and give you my own opinion before reading the thread. What I can say is this:

You may not find the exact wording in the Constitution that would settle the issue, but if we look to court precedents along with the attitudes of the founders and what motivated them - AND how they admonished us to interpret the Constitution, you will get a clearer picture of the truth.
thank you

I do wish this principle was applied more consistently by both parties.

I do wish this principle was applied more consistently by both parties.

There are certainly examples of it. I found Obama's DACA move to be an overreach. There's prosecutorial discretion. But that merely allows you to pick and choose which portions of a given law you'll implement. Not create new law and regulations from nothing.

And the court's morphing of interstate commerce to 'really mean' intrastate commerce under Kennedy was, imho, straight up bullshit.

I get what the courts were trying to do and the discrimination they were attempting to combat in the South. But that too was an overreach.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

Our Fourth Amendment is all about a right to privacy. Due Process applies.

AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

AMENDMENT IV

So there is no 'right to privacy' listed in the US Constitution.

question is always: Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?

answers like: Our Fourth Amendment is all about a right to privacy. - fail to address it head on. If the 4th is 'about' a right to privacy, why doesn't it mention it? Even a Wikipedia entry goes on about: First Amendment, Third Amendment, Fourth Amendment, and the Fifth Amendment. But at least they acknowledged first that "the Constitution does not explicitly include the right to privacy, the Supreme Court has found that the Constitution implicitly grants a right to privacy against governmental intrusion from the" 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th amendments.

I agree with the Supreme Court. But let us be consistent. Too many people who claims rights that are enumerated, and deny some rights not enumerated, almost always claim a right to privacy.

Question

{{meta.pageTitle}}

and

AMENDMENT IV

So there is no 'right to privacy' listed in the US Constitution.

question is always: Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?

answers like: Our Fourth Amendment is all about a right to privacy. - fail to address it head on. If the 4th is 'about' a right to privacy, why doesn't it mention it? Even a Wikipedia entry goes on about: First Amendment, Third Amendment, Fourth Amendment, and the Fifth Amendment. But at least they acknowledged first that "the Constitution does not explicitly include the right to privacy, the Supreme Court has found that the Constitution implicitly grants a right to privacy against governmental intrusion from the" 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th amendments.

I agree with the Supreme Court. But let us be consistent. Too many people who claims rights that are enumerated, and deny some rights not enumerated, almost always claim a right to privacy.

The Constitution doesn't enumerate our rights.

AMENDMENT IV

It's against "against unreasonable searches and seizures" and then we fight over what is reasonable.

I'm always curious what others think is the reasoning that the framers did not list 'privacy'

Some things seem purposefully vague, while other things demanded to them that they be listed.

there were battles over whether to even include a Bill of Rights. The reasoning on all sides I have studied.

The Constitution doesn't enumerate our rights.
don't be so disingenuous

there are enumerated rights and others not enumerated. The framers felt a need to enumerate some rights. Why some and not others?

IX:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I'm always curious what others think is the reasoning that the framers did not list 'privacy'

Because they never intended to enumerate our rights in the Constitution. It protects our rights (an infinite list) by limiting the power of government.

Forum List

Back