Does a LGBT person have to chose between being LGBT and being Christian?

That's what I want to know.

My own religion, Catholicism, teaches that all sexual relations, except between a man and a woman who are married, not using birth control, is sinful.

So MOST sexual stuff, including masturbation and oral sex, is sinful.

That obviously includes homosexuality as well.

I would assume most other Christian denominations have similar rules.

So a Christian church that ACCEPTS homosexuals and says YOU DON"T HAVE TO CHANGE, is not being truthful to Christian teachings.

However, the state of being homosexual is not sinful, it is only sinful to ACT ON IT.

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexuals are called to be abstinent.

Is that a teaching that any homosexual can accept?

I’m bisexual and no one is forcing me to choose... perhaps that’s bc I keep it to myself and I’m not Catholic so I’m not made to confess my sins.

I truly can’t help it that I’m attracted to both sexes. I’m married and don’t act on it and that is all that should matter. I guess I’ll learn when I die whether or not God forgives me.

People "can't help" a lot of things. What's your point?

My point is God made me as I am. What’s your point?

That pedophiles make the same point. So do people with sex addictions and a variety of mental problems. In fact, every human being on the planet who has an inclination to do things they should not do - in other words, every human being on the planet - can rightly say that God made them that way. That does not absolve us from the responsibility to follow God's law when it contradicts our urges. In fact, if God's law us did NOT contradict our urges, there would be no reason for Him to give us His law in the first place.

In a world where every human who lives and ever has lived has been flawed and in need of improvement, I remain unimpressed by "I was born this way, so it must be okay."

I never said “it must be okay.” I said once I’m dead I’ll know how “okay” it is.

Ahhh, so you said, "God made me this way", but it wasn't intended to mean "that makes it okay". What point were you trying to make with that, then?

Agreed about homosexuality. Having the urges/temptation is not what's sinful. We are all tempted. It's acting on them or worse, calling sin "good", that is sinful.
And, similarly, nobody really cares what either of you THINK about homosexuality. It's when you act on these thoughts that you risk being called a religious nutball, or bigot, or homophobe, etc.

My own religion, Catholicism, teaches that all sexual relations, except between a man and a woman who are married, not using birth control, is sinful.

So a Christian church that ACCEPTS homosexuals and says YOU DON"T HAVE TO CHANGE, is not being truthful to Christian teachings.

However, the state of being homosexual is not sinful, it is only sinful to ACT ON IT.

A LGBT person has no desire to be a Christian. If an LGBT person desires to be a Christian then the Bible is a complete lie. If the Bible is a lie then Christianity can be anything you want it to be.

If the Bible is true then a LGBT person has no desire at all to live a Christian life.

If the Bible is a lie then a LGBT person should hate anything associated with the Bible which would include Christianity. Homosexuality isn't a sin. Defiance, rebellion and hate for God is a sin. Homosexuality is just the evidence of a person who hates God. If you don't believe that then you don't believe the Bible. If you don't believe the Bible then what difference does it make?

I’m bisexual and no one is forcing me to choose... perhaps that’s bc I keep it to myself and I’m not Catholic so I’m not made to confess my sins.

I truly can’t help it that I’m attracted to both sexes. I’m married and don’t act on it and that is all that should matter. I guess I’ll learn when I die whether or not God forgives me.

That pedophiles make the same point. So do people with sex addictions and a variety of mental problems. In fact, every human being on the planet who has an inclination to do things they should not do - in other words, every human being on the planet - can rightly say that God made them that way. That does not absolve us from the responsibility to follow God's law when it contradicts our urges. In fact, if God's law us did NOT contradict our urges, there would be no reason for Him to give us His law in the first place.

In a world where every human who lives and ever has lived has been flawed and in need of improvement, I remain unimpressed by "I was born this way, so it must be okay."

I never said “it must be okay.” I said once I’m dead I’ll know how “okay” it is.

Ahhh, so you said, "God made me this way", but it wasn't intended to mean "that makes it okay". What point were you trying to make with that, then?

I have urges to kill people. God made me that way so it is ok for me to murder people.

I have urges to kill people. God made me that way so it is ok for me to murder people.
It always concerns me that we have people willing to admit that they cannot distinguish between acts that are ILLEGAL and harm others.....and acts that are totally legal and harm no one.

Those people should be avoided.

Everyone sins. The only requirement for being a Christian is the acceptance of Jesus. If you’ve really accepted Jesus you’ll try not to sin. You’ll fail, but you still try.

Jesus said there will be many who say Lord Lord, but I never knew them.

So it’s really between you and Jesus. If someone claiming to be a Christian is openly sinning and urging others to do it, I would challenge that person.

It always concerns me that we have people willing to admit that they cannot distinguish between acts that are ILLEGAL and harm others.....and acts that are totally legal and harm no one.

In New York someone who is not a doctor can legally rip the limbs off of a baby being born, and violate the law for serving a straw at a restaurant.

In New York someone who is not a doctor can legally rip the limbs off of a baby being born, and violate the law for serving a straw at a restaurant.
Just like that?

Agreed about homosexuality. Having the urges/temptation is not what's sinful. We are all tempted. It's acting on them or worse, calling sin "good", that is sinful.
And, similarly, nobody really cares what either of you THINK about homosexuality. It's when you act on these thoughts that you risk being called a religious nutball, or bigot, or homophobe, etc.

I like how you say "risk" as though people value or even care about your opinion, and not having your approval is somehow a calamity. It's cute. Delusional, but cute.

God loves the LGBT community, otherwise, why would god have made them that way?

The Bible answers that question in Romans chapter 1. God made them that way because they hated Him.

God hates the proud and the lovers of violence. He doesn't love all of His creation. Let's not get carried away. He sends many people to be burned, tortured, and tormented for all of eternity. God hates a lot of people. Wait! Which God are we talking about here? I have heard about a God that loves everybody. What is the name of the God you are referencing?

The Bible answers that question in Romans chapter 1. God made them that way because they hated Him.

God hates the proud and the lovers of violence. He doesn't love all of His creation. Let's not get carried away. He sends many people to be burned, tortured, and tormented for all of eternity. God hates a lot of people. Wait! Which God are we talking about here? I have heard about a God that loves everybody. What is the name of the God you are referencing?
So god makes gay people then hates them?
Since Jesus was possibly gay, is that why god left him to die nailed to wood?

I am an idiot and a liar. Read Romans Chapter 1 for yourself. I am not God's spokesman. Nevermind. Don't read it. I am certain you don't care what it says anyways. it would be a waste of your time.

I am an idiot and a liar. Read Romans Chapter 1 for yourself. I am not God's spokesman. Nevermind. Don't read it. I am certain you don't care what it says anyways. it would be a waste of your time.
Do you have the mumps?

Do you have the mumps?

Yes I do. How did you know that?

Do you have the mumps?

Yes I do. How did you know that?
So you don’t think that Jesus ever packed any fudge? Or had his fudge packed?

Homosexuality is still a sin, but the way someone explained it to me is today gay marriage is legal in the US and consenting sex between two adults is legal, so that makes it okay. Does it mean that a LGBT has to choose? No, they can still become Christian and then give up their sinful ways.

The Bible directs men to not "spill" their seed so, according to The Bible masturbation is a sin.

Jus' sayin' ..........

If you jack off then according to Jesus you are going to Hell; oops ...........
The Bible directs men to not "spill" their seed so, according to The Bible masturbation is a sin.

Jus' sayin' ..........

If you jack off then according to Jesus you are going to Hell; oops ...........
OMG...Jus' sayin'...that's a lie!

You don't know what you're talking about, so zip it!

The ideal is a life totally without sin, which is unacheivable. The best we can hope for is to live in a state of grace, which means our sins are not so serious as to be mortal sins, and if we do have mortal sin, we repent them (through confession if you're Catholic) so that we are once again in a state of grace.

There is no way to live an open, declared homosexual lifestyle and be in state of grace, because a person doing that is declaring that he will not repent of his sins.
Omg...try a relationship with God, instead of religion

Being lost with God, is worse than being lost without Him

You're such a fussy old Puritan, Joe

You guys make the bible Palatable by "Disneyfying it"

Literally.

upload_2019-1-25_5-30-50.jpeg

I'm betting you never heard any of the really awful stories in the bible until an Atheist pointed them out to you

Forum List

Back