Does a fetus have a soul?

Actually, Jesus was a rabbi and even now it's rare for them NOT to be married.

In Jesus' day it was inconceivable that he WOULDN'T have been married.

To get back to the actual question, does a foetus have a soul?

Here's an article that I think is pretty relevant:

ABORTION DEBATE: A SHORT DEFENSE OF THE PRO-LIFE POSITION

By Scott Klusendorf

Pro-life advocates contend that elective abortion unjustly takes the life of a defenseless human being. This simplifies the abortion debate by focusing public attention on just one question: Is the unborn a member of the human family? If so, killing him or her to benefit others is a serious moral wrong. Conversely, if the unborn are not human, elective abortion requires no more justification than having a tooth pulled.

This is not a debate about privacy or trusting women to make their own responsible choices. For example, does the right to make one�s own responsible choices include the rights of parents to abuse children in the privacy of the home? Therefore, if the unborn are human like other children (a point I will argue in a moment), killing them in the name of privacy is a clear moral wrong. Hence, the abortion debate is really about one question: What is the unborn? Is he or she a member of the human family? Everything comes back to that one question.

Let me be clear. I am vigorously �pro-choice� when it comes to women choosing a number of moral goods. I support a woman�s right to choose her own health care provider, to choose her own school, to choose her own husband, to choose her own job, to choose her own religion, and to choose her own career, to name a few. These are among the many choices that I fully support for the women of our country. But some choices are wrong, like killing innocent human beings simply because they are in the way and cannot defend themselves. No, we shouldn�t be allowed to choose that.

Pro-life advocates defend their claim for the humanity of the unborn with science and philosophy. That is, they offer public reasons for their views, not merely religious ones. Hence, pro-life arguments should not be excluded from the public square, though some would like them dismissed from the abortion debate altogether.

The Stubborn Facts of Science

Scientifically, we know that from the earliest stages of development, the unborn are distinct, living, and whole human beings. Leading embryology textbooks confirm this. Prior to advocating abortion, former Planned Parenthood President Dr. Alan Guttmacher was perplexed that anyone, much less a medical doctor, would question these basic scientific facts. "This all seems so simple and evident that it is difficult to picture a time when it wasn't part of the common knowledge," he wrote in his book Life in the Making.

Ronald Bailey of Reason magazine insists that we gain no real knowledge from these scientific facts. Bailey argues that embryonic human beings are biologically human only in the sense that every cell in the body carries the full genetic code, meaning that each of our somatic (bodily) cells has as much potential for development as any human embryo. Put simply, Bailey would have us believe that there is no difference in kind between a human embryo and each of our cells.

(I tried to post the link but it said I wasn't allowed to yet!)

I cut out most of the article you posted and put a link in your post for those who would like to read the rest of it: per board rules and copyright -EZ

http://www.prolifetraining.com/Articles/abortion-debate.htm

Scripture has nothing to do with it, that's just a book.

I ask you, did jesus have a gf? kids?

Scripture has everything to do with it.

Jesus was the son of GOD, and his entire life was preconceived. He was sent here to die for our sins. Whether he had a gf or not is entirely irrelevant.

You calling him a faggot is nothing more than spitting in the face of Christians. I know what you're doing.
He didn't call him a faggot. He said he was gay. You called him a faggot.
If it turned out he was a "faggot" what would Christains do?

Last edited:
What a ridiculous question. He wasn't gay. It will never "turn out" that he is.

What a wasted thread.

What a ridiculous question. He wasn't gay. It will never "turn out" that he is.

What a wasted thread.

You never know when he might come out of the closet. He managed to get out of that tomb, after all.

Not surprising, it was prophesized. It's never been prophesized that he would turn gay.

You don't know for sure whether jesus was gay or not because what's written in the bible is fiction, not fact. But if you look at the anecdotal evidence... and your gay-dar is on...

btw, I'm not gay.

You'd obviously have a problem with that. myself, i have 2 daughters, if 1 or both of them were gay, it wouldn't matter to me, I have a gay cousin, played in a band with a gay guy (and shared a room on the road with him), so what?

Not surprising, it was prophesized. It's never been prophesized that he would turn gay.
Of course not. No one turns gay (unless they are in prison or on Mount Athos or in some English boarding school or something). They are gay.

You'd obviously have a problem with that. myself, i have 2 daughters, if 1 or both of them were gay, it wouldn't matter to me, I have a gay cousin, played in a band with a gay guy (and shared a room on the road with him), so what?

Smartt: for p[eople like you, with no morals, it is only people who have morals that are a bother. You don't know the truth, however, you have heard it and will be held accountable for it. Romans 1.

smartt, you're stuck on a book that some guys wrote to mess with your head.
As for having no morals, try starting with all those pedophile priests that worship your bible, as well as the Pope who was a Hitler Youth.

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.​

Talk about trying to split a frog hair five ways.

Wouldn't you conclude that Adam was a special case, considering he was formed and not born?

If Adam was unique then he wouldn't be an Archetype for Mankind. And if Adam doesn't represent ALL Mankind (and Womankind) then there can be no inheritable "Original Sin" and consequently no need for salvation.

So if Adam is Mankind, then the chronology of that verse is Adam/Mankind was first completely formed physically BEFORE he became a living soul with his first "Breath of Life." At least that's what was taught in church BEFORE abortion was politicized. There's even a bunch of "Breath of Life Ministries" on TV and elsewhere.

Breath of Life Ministries - News about the Ministry

Breath of Life Ministries, Inc.

Breath Of Life Ministries

Breath of Life Ministries ®

Breath of Life

It certainly appears that way.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations."
Jeremiah 1:5

"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb."
Luke 1:15

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."
Psalm 139:13-16

Those quotes refer to the All-Knowing nature of God not the Soul of Man.

Here's a Spirit/Breath of Life quote:

Job 33: 4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.​

Talk about trying to split a frog hair five ways.

Wouldn't you conclude that Adam was a special case, considering he was formed and not born?

If Adam was unique then he wouldn't be an Archetype for Mankind. And if Adam doesn't represent ALL Mankind (and Womankind) then there can be no inheritable "Original Sin" and consequently no need for salvation.

So if Adam is Mankind, then the chronology of that verse is Adam/Mankind was first completely formed physically BEFORE he became a living soul with his first "Breath of Life." At least that's what was taught in church BEFORE abortion was politicized. There's even a bunch of "Breath of Life Ministries" on TV and elsewhere.

Breath of Life Ministries - News about the Ministry

Breath of Life Ministries, Inc.

Breath Of Life Ministries

Breath of Life Ministries ®

Breath of Life

If the soul is in the body, whether an adult or fetus, the soul is not killed with the death of the body, right?

Forum List

Back