Dodge Dart R/T

My sisters 1971 plymouth cricket,,what a POS. Replaced by the Dodge Colt in 73.

images

My sisters 1971 plymouth cricket,,what a POS. Replaced by the Dodge Colt in 73.

images

LOL...yep, I love MOST of the old Mopars, but Chrysler sure came up with some DUMB ideas. Remember the K cars. MY GOD those were FUGGLY! ;~)

Oh...and that Mitsubishi hatchback econo-box with a Charger badge on it. How DUMB was that!?

Last edited:
I bought it from the little old lady next door who drove it to work and church. True story! :thup:

LOL...you and my dad. He always had a knack for finding those cars. I WISH I was that lucky. I always end up bleedin' from the knuckles for mine. ;~)

A friend had a '68 440 Coronet. His was that dark green Chrysler had back then. NOT the prettiest color Chrysler ever came up with, but still WAY better lookin' the that root beer color my current '67 was when I got it! LOL

Another friend had and STILL HAS to this day, a 69' Super Bee with the 440 magnum that he bought new. It's the same color blue as the one in that picture you posted. I use to poke fun at him for babying that thing. We were always running our hotrods, but he never would.

Guess that's why he still has that cool old car and all mine are LONG GONE! ;~)

His is the fully dressed magnum Super Bee with that 4 speed with the big ol' pistol grip shifter, leather interior...the whole 9 yards. I haven't seen it lately, but it didn't have but like 50,000 mile on it a few years ago and it still looks brand new. Bet that thing would go for 80 grand nowadays!

Heck, yours might would be worth 20 grand or more now. Seeing the prices these cool old mopars are going for...REALLY makes me wish I'd taken better care of mine! ;~0

Well kept or restored mopars are more difficult to find than chevy or fords. A couple of years ago, my son and I stopped by an old friend's shop and he had a bunch of junkers out in the grass that he sold to folks wanting a car to restore. There was a 68 coronet sitting out there that almost made me cry. It was so rusted and in such bad shape, I don't know if it could have been restored or not. It would be nice to see one going down the street and be able to tell my son, "that's what my old car looked like". But I've never been able to do it.

Well kept or restored mopars are more difficult to find than chevy or fords. A couple of years ago, my son and I stopped by an old friend's shop and he had a bunch of junkers out in the grass that he sold to folks wanting a car to restore. There was a 68 coronet sitting out there that almost made me cry. It was so rusted and in such bad shape, I don't know if it could have been restored or not. It would be nice to see one going down the street and be able to tell my son, "that's what my old car looked like". But I've never been able to do it.
VERY true KW. That's one reasons they are so expensive. I had a chance to buy a '69 a couple years ago. It WAS a big block car, but it came with the 383, 2 barrel motor and it was a RUST BUCKET. It had spent it's life up north. I just couldn't bring my self to pay 2 grand and then have to spend another 15 grand and 2 years of busted knuckles for a car that would never be worth more than what it would cost to restore.

You CAN do it yourself...trust me. I'm dumb as a box of hammers, but information and free help is EVERYWHERE. Including your son. LOL

If you really want to do it...go for it. Heck, we'll start a thread on here to track ya and help ya out. ;~)

But don't worry about doing a restoration project. Get one that is not a highly sought after model/engine combination and turn it into a fun machine. Snatch out the 6 cyld and jam a 340 crate engine. They are all easily interchangeable. WAY cheaper and you won't be ruining a collector. Win, win! LOL

My dads pride and joy..came with the 400 v8
One of my best friends growing up had a '67 GTO with a 389, 3/2 brl and a 4 speed. MAN that thing was fun!

My dad had a 72 Pontiac GT-37 (dumbed down, tarted up GTO) with the small block in it he bought new in 72. Speedo registered 140 and would BURY it! LOL

It was FUN to drive.

is this car made in the usa or italy by fiat?
LOL...yeah, THAT is why I keep saying I love the OLD Mopars. ;~)

The new Challengers are cool and the Viper was a bad ass, but for the most part, Chrysler has missed the mark because of European influence over the last several years. The PT Cruiser...which I own because the wife loved the style...was a great idea, but they never offered it with anything but a 4 cylinder. BIG mistake. Of course it was on the Neon platform.

That's the problem. They should have done it from the ground up and really branded it!

VERY true KW. That's one reasons they are so expensive. I had a chance to buy a '69 a couple years ago. It WAS a big block car, but it came with the 383, 2 barrel motor and it was a RUST BUCKET. It had spent it's life up north. I just couldn't bring my self to pay 2 grand and then have to spend another 15 grand and 2 years of busted knuckles for a car that would never be worth more than what it would cost to restore.

You CAN do it yourself...trust me. I'm dumb as a box of hammers, but information and free help is EVERYWHERE. Including your son. LOL

If you really want to do it...go for it. Heck, we'll start a thread on here to track ya and help ya out. ;~)

But don't worry about doing a restoration project. Get one that is not a highly sought after model/engine combination and turn it into a fun machine. Snatch out the 6 cyld and jam a 340 crate engine. They are all easily interchangeable. WAY cheaper and you won't be ruining a collector. Win, win! LOL

My dads pride and joy..came with the 400 v8
One of my best friends growing up had a '67 GTO with a 389, 3/2 brl and a 4 speed. MAN that thing was fun!

My dad had a 72 Pontiac GT-37 (dumbed down, tarted up GTO) with the small block in it he bought new in 72. Speedo registered 140 and would BURY it! LOL

It was FUN to drive.

is this car made in the usa or italy by fiat?
LOL...yeah, THAT is why I keep saying I love the OLD Mopars. ;~)

The new Challengers are cool and the Viper was a bad ass, but for the most part, Chrysler has missed the mark because of European influence over the last several years. The PT Cruiser...which I own because the wife loved the style...was a great idea, but they never offered it with anything but a 4 cylinder. BIG mistake. Of course it was on the Neon platform.

That's the problem. They should have done it from the ground up and really branded it!

JD,

Let's be clear here. I'm not a gear head. That gene is dormant in my DNA. My dad never, ever put a car in the shop. He was a shade tree mechanic who could fix a car on the side of the road with a piece of baling wire and a little spit. The gene jumped a generation to my son. I've done basic stuff in my younger days like replacing water pumps, alternators and tune ups, but I put them in the shop for things like new transmissions. My son on the other hand has no fear. I walked out in the garage one day and he had his dash disassembled and laying on the garage floor. He had a noise and tracked it to a busted clip on the firewall. A little epoxy and he snapped everything back together in the correct sequence and was good to go. I stared in amazement! :) His transmission went out last fall and I urged him to just take it down to the local transmission place and have a rebuilt one put on. No, no, no......he had to have one custom built by a guy in Dallas and install it himself. Of course, then he needed a beefed up stall and a cooling system put on too. He installed his on NOS system. Yes, he takes it to the track on weekends and runs it. It's a 2003 single cab Silverado. Mine is a 2004 4 door. Next weekend, he's driving up to Tulsa to do a cam swap on it. Yep, the gene skipped a generation. With my dad passed on, I'm just glad I have my son to work on my vehicle now. :)

Edit to add. My son is now 19. My dad passed away when my son was 8. Everything my son has learned about engines has been from the internet. He will walk into the room and start blabbing about some guy on a thread who claims he can run a quarter in x seconds because he has a Brown's flux capacitor type x4t1 and everyone knows you can't do that unless you are run a McFly flux capacitor t25l8. My eyes just glaze over and he says, "you have no idea what I'm talking about do you?" :lol:

Last edited:
JD,

Let's be clear here. I'm not a gear head. That gene is dormant in my DNA. My dad never, ever put a car in the shop. He was a shade tree mechanic who could fix a car on the side of the road with a piece of baling wire and a little spit. The gene jumped a generation to my son. I've done basic stuff in my younger days like replacing water pumps, alternators and tune ups, but I put them in the shop for things like new transmissions. My son on the other hand has no fear. I walked out in the garage one day and he had his dash disassembled and laying on the garage floor. He had a noise and tracked it to a busted clip on the firewall. A little epoxy and he snapped everything back together in the correct sequence and was good to go. I stared in amazement! :) His transmission went out last fall and I urged him to just take it down to the local transmission place and have a rebuilt one put on. No, no, no......he had to have one custom built by a guy in Dallas and install it himself. Of course, then he needed a beefed up stall and a cooling system put on too. He installed his on NOS system. Yes, he takes it to the track on weekends and runs it. It's a 2003 single cab Silverado. Mine is a 2004 4 door. Next weekend, he's driving up to Tulsa to do a cam swap on it. Yep, the gene skipped a generation. With my dad passed on, I'm just glad I have my son to work on my vehicle now. :)

Edit to add. My son is now 19. My dad passed away when my son was 8. Everything my son has learned about engines has been from the internet. He will walk into the room and start blabbing about some guy on a thread who claims he can run a quarter in x seconds because he has a Brown's flux capacitor type x4t1 and everyone knows you can't do that unless you are run a McFly flux capacitor t25l8. My eyes just glaze over and he says, "you have no idea what I'm talking about do you?" :lol:
LMAOff..........flux capacitor huh? Now that is funny!

Sounds like you, your father and son are just like my dad, grandfather and me. My grandfathers on both sides were blacksmiths, millwrights and mechanics while my father had a hard time putting on an alternator belt. LOL

But pop was a dang good engineer...even if he couldn't change his own oil without supervision. ;~)

Tell ya what though KW, one of the greatest times my father and I ever had was when I was 14 and he bought an old GMC pickup and said, "Oh, I just got a good deal and you and I are going to fix it up." when I ask why he bought another truck.

We spent a little over a year of weekends and evenings working on it. I say we, but it was mostly me, because I was like your son, a natural mechanic. He let me pick the paint color, didn't bat an eye when I wanted to put dual glass pack mufflers and wide racing stripes like the Shelby Cobra on it and I actually did the painting with a little instruction from a friend of dad's who owned a body shop. MAN we worked our butts off on it...and it was fun.

When we were done with the finish sanding and standing in the driveway admiring our work, pop reached into his pocket, pulled out the keys and said, "There ya go boy...all yours." ;~)

I was the most proud 15 year old kid you ever saw in your life! Couldn't even get a driver's license and already had the coolest truck in our highschool. Loud, fast, turquoise blue metal flake with white racing strips and a gun rack in the back glass...are you kidding me!? I...was the MAN!!! LOL

My point is, don't let your not being able to do the work stop you from sharing it with your son if he's willing to do it. It WILL be a great experience for both of you!

I think my dad did it cause he was tired of me hopping up his mowers, our go-carts, mini bikes and motor cycles till they blew up. We had the only riding mower in town that actually hovered. ;~)

But that truck was an experience neither of us will ever forget!

Forum List

Back