DoD Dumps Tanker Mess on Next Regime

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Defense Secretary Robert Gates, clearly worried that the atmosphere is so poisoned by the battle between Boeing and Northrop and tainted by the poor performance of the Air Force, has decided to punt and leave any tanker RFP to the next administration.
DoD Dumps Tanker Mess on Next Regime

OBAMA
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama told a conference of aerospace machinists that he agrees with the decision by Defense Secretary Robert Gates this week to let the next president decide the tanker battle between Boeing and the team of Northrop and EADS, parent of Airbus.

He also took aim at his Republican presidential opponent, John McCain over McCain's role in helping Northrop and EADS win the competition that the GAO later found was seriously flawed after a protest by Boeing
Obama rips McCain re Boeing tanker

McCAIN
"My paramount concern in the tanker replacement program has always been that the air force buy the most capable aerial refueling tankers at the most reasonable cost," he said in a statement after the Government Accountability Office, or GAO, found fault with the process of awarding the contract. "Obviously they need to go back and redo the contracting process again, the awarding of it, and I hope that this time they will get it right."

International Herald Tribune

So it appears that the next president is going to have to deal with this massive program as well. With a huge bailout, what are the opinions on this happening anytime soon after millions spent.

I didn't get a chance on this one to post a comment, that it seems after reading this that Obama seems to be on the side of Boeing on this one and McCain on the side of Northrop /EADS. I don't see this being settled for a while though because of the economic crisis. I can forsee it being delayed even further.

I had a hoped that this would spur some sort of debate on the situation at the DoD with base closings, procurement issues, and the complete mismanagement at the DoD in general. Oh well..

Forum List

Back