Doctors: School start times are unhealthy

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Early school start times unhealthy doctors say - CNN.com

A new policy statement published by the American Academy of Pediatrics is on the side of groggy students falling asleep at their desks and their parents who are tired of nagging them to get out of bed in the morning.
They say that lack of sleep in adolescents causes poor academic performance and poses a serious public health concern. Traffic accidents, depression and obesity can result, with schools that start too early contributing to the problem.
The technical report released with the policy statement says that sleep-deprived teens tend to eat more carbohydrates and fats, with every hour of sleep that is lost increasing the odds of obesity by 80%. Adolescents that go to sleep at midnight or later are also more likely to suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts

Why can't kids go to bed earlier?

A new policy statement published by the American Academy of Pediatrics is on the side of groggy students falling asleep at their desks and their parents who are tired of nagging them to get out of bed in the morning.
They say that lack of sleep in adolescents causes poor academic performance and poses a serious public health concern. Traffic accidents, depression and obesity can result, with schools that start too early contributing to the problem.
The technical report released with the policy statement says that sleep-deprived teens tend to eat more carbohydrates and fats, with every hour of sleep that is lost increasing the odds of obesity by 80%. Adolescents that go to sleep at midnight or later are also more likely to suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts

probably because republicans hate them and want them to fail so they sabotage them by making school times early as a disadvantage...or some such hyperpartisan nonsense...
toss in a couple of "racists" and some name calling and you got it covered.

That depends on the kid. That whole biological process thangy? It will take an ordinary kid and flip everything around. There are a lot of kids that have been prescribed medication to knock them out.

My 12 year old...goes to bed around 11-12 and gets up at six...He has no problems with grades or attention span. i was the same way, but his older brother was always groggy and had a short attention span. The school also said he was AHAD and wanted to give him meds, TOFRANIL of all things! So I withdrew the boy and home schooled him...

Because parents have to go to work. Because many students HAVE TO go to after-school jobs. Because many extra-curricular activities would not be practical on another schedule. Because school buses would be in rush hour traffic with 9 to 5 - ers.

Many, many millions of students in other countries who sleep far less than their American counterparts are not obese and excel academically. American students are not obese because school starts at whatever-o'clock. They are obese because they eat crap and aren't active enough. Students are often sleepy? Wow, thanks for the shocking news.

My 12 year old...goes to bed around 11-12 and gets up at six...He has no problems with grades or attention span. i was the same way, but his older brother was always groggy and had a short attention span. The school also said he was AHAD and wanted to give him meds, TOFRANIL of all things! So I withdrew the boy and home schooled him...
Good for you. Drugs are a poor parent.

another false "issue"..kids have been going to school in the morning for a couple of hundred years.
someone, somewhere no doubt received gvt funding or a grant to "research" the "problem"..

How can you teach drug awareness and tell kidz it's bad to smoke and do drugs if you dope them for school??

quite a society being built these last 20 - 30 years for all the young parents that probably supported mr. obama . Funny to watch but disheartening to anyone with any thoughtfulness or forward thinking ability . --- OFF TOPIC but As far as good news , well my recently ordered KBAR fightin knife should be being delivered today or tomorrow .

another false "issue"..kids have been going to school in the morning for a couple of hundred years.
someone, somewhere no doubt received gvt funding or a grant to "research" the "problem"..
and that in itself is a reason to take much research data as being biased and unreliable...

quite a society being built these last 20 - 30 years for all the young parents that probably supported mr. obama . Funny to watch but disheartening to anyone with any thoughtfulness or forward thinking ability . --- OFF TOPIC but As far as good news , well my recently ordered KBAR fightin knife should be being delivered today or tomorrow .

Don't hurt yourself..

When you distill it all down to its base component. Schools server to provide understanding of the world around us, but more importantly, our schools server to ready our children to enter into adult life where a person is required to be responsible for themselves.

This means that an employer is not going to give two shits if you didn't get to bed early, late, or not at all. They are going to care that you are on the job, at the time you were assigned to be on that job.

In this, school teaches that very valuable lesson.

If you know that the timing is the issue then alter the timing. If the timing resolves all of the additional problems: tardiness, altercations, ability to focus then take care of business. This is not a new issue. It's been out there for a good 20 years.

You have the kids on medication to focus and more medication to crash. All classes are now taught to the test. The only reasons that the hours have not been changed is because it's convenient for the adults.

Nice.KBAR is the standard.
I just got another assisted opening karambit. This one has 2 blades.

SIMILAR to this one but not this brand.

I can imagine a clown like Rotorooter would buy a knife with pictures of skulls all over it. :rolleyes:

I notice the OP pinched this loaf of a thread then promptly abandoned it.

looks pretty nice ROTAGILLA !!
Well, that one is a cheaper version but you get the idea.
A little too bulky for every day carry...depending on where you are and what you're wearing.
In winter it wouldn't be a problem.

I have a single blade, assisted opening karambit for EDC.

Forum List

Back