Doctors Boo The Anointed One

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
How could they?

Analysis: Doctors' boos show Obama's tough road

AMA insiders shouldn't have been surprised by Obama's upfront refusal to consider malpractice caps.

The group couldn't get that idea passed by a Republican Congress and president a few years ago. Some states have such curbs, but anyone who can count votes knows the chances for national limits are slim to none with Democrats in charge of Congress.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't think so, Bush tried to get tort reform because so many of the lawsuits against physicians are ridiculous, yet the plaintiff wins costing millions of dollars in rewards to people who really don't have it coming. In turn doctors have to pay outrageous mal practice fees to insurance companies and then to recoup their money they pass it on to us in higher and higher fees.

Obama is a Harvard lawyer, I am not at all surprised that he did this. He knows who butters his bread and it's his ambulance chasing buddies.

Or...could it be that the big O's health plan has some doctors REALLY pissed off? He could have been red or yellow, black or white and they would have been booing. There are going to be many doctors who cannot afford to practice medicine for the reasons they chose the profession. They may have started out wanting to save lives, but they also enjoy the six and seven figure incomes. Those will be going away if O gets his way. They aren't happy about that. I'd boo you too if I had a multimillion dollar practice that was about to be erased from existence.

Don't be so naive. It isn't about race...it's about $$$$$$$$$$$

Couple Speak Out About Embryo MixupAOL
posted: 13 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 50filed under: Health NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA(June 15) -- A British couple go public with their account of an in vitro fertilization gone wrong. Two years ago, the husband and wife learned that their embryo had been given accidentally to someone else.
"In less than 10 seconds our wonderful world was shattered when the senior embryologist stood in front of us and said, 'I'm very sorry to tell you, but there's been an accident in the lab. Your embryo has been destroyed'," the woman, identified only as Debra, told the BBC.
Debra and her husband, Paul, said they were given the news as Debra was about to undergo the procedure to have the embryo, which had been frozen after a previous IVF cycle, placed in her uterus in December 2007.
When the couple returned to the hospital days later, they were told that the embryo had not actually been destroyed, but had been given to someone else accidentally.
When the staff realized the mistake, that woman was given the morning after pill to terminate any possible pregnancy, the BBC reported.
The couple got damages of nearly $41,000 from the clinic.

IVF Embryo Mixup

How much do you think this couple would have been awarded here in the US, and how much do you think they should have been awarded? This is just one reason doctor's need malpractice insurance, but should there be reasonalbe limits on damages?

How could they?

AMA insiders shouldn't have been surprised by Obama's upfront refusal to consider malpractice caps.

The group couldn't get that idea passed by a Republican Congress and president a few years ago. Some states have such curbs, but anyone who can count votes knows the chances for national limits are slim to none with Democrats in charge of Congress.

Malpractice is their biggest fear not only because it can ruin careers but because preventing it takes so much time away from actually being a doctor.

Obama assured the doctors that his plan would provide them with objective information on what treatments work best, with new computerized tools to better manage their patient case loads, and with support for harried solo practitioners to form networks.

He promised that Washington would not dictate clinical decisions. And he asked the doctors to imagine a world in which nearly every patient has insurance coverage and they can devote their full attention to the practice of medicine.

"You did not enter this profession to be bean-counters and paper-pushers," Obama said. "You entered this profession to be healers—and that's what our health care system should let you be."

That line got him an ovation.

Couple Speak Out About Embryo MixupAOL
posted: 13 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 50filed under: Health NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA(June 15) -- A British couple go public with their account of an in vitro fertilization gone wrong. Two years ago, the husband and wife learned that their embryo had been given accidentally to someone else.
"In less than 10 seconds our wonderful world was shattered when the senior embryologist stood in front of us and said, 'I'm very sorry to tell you, but there's been an accident in the lab. Your embryo has been destroyed'," the woman, identified only as Debra, told the BBC.
Debra and her husband, Paul, said they were given the news as Debra was about to undergo the procedure to have the embryo, which had been frozen after a previous IVF cycle, placed in her uterus in December 2007.
When the couple returned to the hospital days later, they were told that the embryo had not actually been destroyed, but had been given to someone else accidentally.
When the staff realized the mistake, that woman was given the morning after pill to terminate any possible pregnancy, the BBC reported.
The couple got damages of nearly $41,000 from the clinic.

IVF Embryo Mixup

How much do you think this couple would have been awarded here in the US, and how much do you think they should have been awarded? This is just one reason doctor's need malpractice insurance, but should there be reasonalbe limits on damages?

I think that the amount they received was just and if it would have been here in the US, it probably would have been a lot more. But this story is relatively tame compared to some of the horror stories of medical malpractice. I agree that there should be reasonable limits but there are rare cases where I believe those limits shouldn't apply.

How could they?

They cheered him more than they booed.

I find it funny that Republicans get outraged when you talk about limiting CEO pay but they are ok with limiting a settlement when people are killed or severly injured for life because of someone else's neglegence.

What dollar amount is your right arm worth?

A CEO makes $20 million a year. And you don't think your arm is worth one year of his wages if some qwak doctor accidentilly cuts off your arm?

What dollar amount is your right arm worth?

the life of the idiot that costs me my arm

Well that would be the doctor. So I don't think its fair to limit the amount a jury can award you when the doctor will make millions with his arms in his lifetime.

The hospital has insurance for a reason. And look at this. Again this is about how much the poor poor insurance companies need to make all the fucking profits and pay out as little as possible.

Poor shareholders. Poor CEO's. I guess the bonus' aren't going to be as big this year because you chopped off JBeukema's arm.

How could they?

The AMA represents about one-third of American doctors. It's a union ... don't republicans hate unions? They fought Medicare too and they lost.

How could they?

The AMA represents about one-third of American doctors. It's a union ... don't republicans hate unions? They fought Medicare too and they lost.
really??

they are a labor union?
American Medical Association

they dont think so

Or...could it be that the big O's health plan has some doctors REALLY pissed off? He could have been red or yellow, black or white and they would have been booing. There are going to be many doctors who cannot afford to practice medicine for the reasons they chose the profession. They may have started out wanting to save lives, but they also enjoy the six and seven figure incomes. Those will be going away if O gets his way. They aren't happy about that. I'd boo you too if I had a multimillion dollar practice that was about to be erased from existence.

Don't be so naive. It isn't about race...it's about $$$$$$$$$$$

Why do you think Doctor's will lose their practices?

Forum List

Back