Doctor: Kennedy brain surgery 'successful'

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press
updated 2:56 p.m. CT, Mon., June. 2, 2008

DURHAM, N.C. - It was aggressive, risky surgery: Sen. Edward M. Kennedy was lying awake on an operating table with a renowned neurosurgeon hovering over him, cutting away at the brain tumor threatening his life.

But the hard part may not be over: The 76-year-old “liberal lion” of the Senate now must undergo a battery of chemotherapy and radiation.

Though doctors deemed Kennedy’s surgery a success, it will take time before his medical team knows what success means. Experts say the surgery was designed to reduce the tumor’s size and give future treatments a better chance to work.

more ...Doctor: Kennedy surgery 'successful' - Capitol Hill - MSNBC.com

The significance of political labels and partisan battles fade on the operating room table. I hope for the success of the treatments and that the remainder of his life is longer than expected, productive, and free from discomfort. May the end game be well played.

Must be a real experience to have them operating on your brain housing group and you are awake.

They do the same for a cardiac cath. Weird, watching the probe go up your artery to your heart but not feeling anything.

That Doctor would have done this country a justice if he came to work with shakey hands.

You know the saying about if your over 30 and still a die hard bleeding heart liberal you have no brain? Probably safe to wager Ted's political views were the result of this medical condition. Just kidding everybody. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

You know the saying about if your over 30 and still a die hard bleeding heart liberal you have no brain?

I heard it differently. If when you pass thirty you start becoming more conservative, you are in the first stage of value loss and screweveryonebutmementality.:eusa_angel:

I do think it's time for ole Ted to step down.

and, by "step down" I don't mean hand the seat over to one of his relatives.

true....

but neither did Eddie Vetter vote in Strom Thruman's state...

and, hereditary politics is no better than hereditary nobility. the longer the dems court the uber geriatric the quicker that they become the same thing as their good ole boy gop opposites. Ted is a liability that needs to be left back in the 20th century.

I'd be ok with his wife carrying on his work. not the end of the world. and it's not hereditary... she still has to be elected. So if the people of massachusetts object, they won't vote for her.

Well, as you astutely pointed out, I don't vote in is state... BUT, I still have a problem with wives assuming the elected role of their husbands. Political elections are not family affairs. I chaffed when mel carnahan died and his wife assumed his election and i'd vote against the same in any jurisdiction I qualified for. to be honest, I was glad Jim Talent (R) beat her in 2002 because of the assumption that a family member is next in the political lineup.

Well, as you astutely pointed out, I don't vote in is state... BUT, I still have a problem with wives assuming the elected role of their husbands. Political elections are not family affairs. I chaffed when mel carnahan died and his wife assumed his election and i'd vote against the same in any jurisdiction I qualified for. to be honest, I was glad Jim Talent (R) beat her in 2002 because of the assumption that a family member is next in the political lineup.

I can see both sides of this argument. I agree that political elections aren't family affairs, but presumably the spouse knows the constituents and knows the goals that mattered to the predeceasing spouse. So if the constituents are happy, they'll put the surviving spouse in office. If not, they won't.

It always struck me as funny that the left bitched about the bush dynasty.. while holding onto the last Kennedy for life. I don't think a wife, or any other legitimate family member has any reason to fall into the hierarchy of an elected position. Thank god the wives of assassinated presidents didn't just "know" what was important to their husbands and assume his national role.

By whom?

And I object to your implication, especially as I am not flaming a fellow poster.

It was a generic "you" directed at all posters. And it was done by Gunny when this issue first came up. This is now my THIRD time saying it to you? We aren't going to have any death wishes in this thread. And, frankly, wishing someone death because one disagrees with their politics is pretty messed up. I think Dick Cheney comprises all three parts of the axis of evil and I still wouldn't wish that on him.