Doctor Death Meets His Maker

Saving people is suffering. Don't you know slow, painful deaths are holy? Ask Mother Theresa

Morphine saves people from suffering too. Suicide is a sin. Ask Mother Therese.

Not really. It tempers the suffering. It doesn't take it away. Morphine also certainly hasten's people's demise. In fact, the difficult balance that hospice Physicians face is the tipping point between treating pain and enough morphine to shorten someone's life.

As someone said, why should someone have to spend the rest of their life in a drug induced haze if they simply want to meet their end. 30 years ago this wasn't a problem. Now we have the technology to prolong life far beyond the point that many people want it to be prolonged.

Why should your moral or religious qualms dictate the way someone else ends their life?

This is such an awesome post, not only do I Rep you, but I have to respond.
For those that are on Hospice, like my Mother was, because she had lung cancer and she was given 3 months to live when we brought her home.
3 months.
When a person comes home under Hospice care, they know why they are coming home, they are coming home to die :-(
Not a great thought to think about.
But there are some people, who might have no insurance, and not have the option of being at home under Hospice, and they know they are wasting away-dying- in an old, ugly, lonely hospital bed. And the pain is horrible from what I hear.
The morphine helps, a great deal. But as I noticed with my Mother, it seemed to hasten her death. They wanted to make her comfortable as possible, be in no pain, as she took her last breaths. And I was with her, so I could tell, she was in no pain. And I was in charge of her morphine patches. And every time I put on a new one, I was thinking, am I speeding up the process??
But my own Mother watched her Dad die from lung cancer, and back when he died, in 1962, they had NOTHING to stop the pain, and she had to watch him suffer. So her only request from her cancer doctor was, please don't let me lie there in pain.
So, in a way, one could think of Hospice, or those that treat with morphine, Kevorkians, am I right??
We don't wish to lose our loved ones, but at the same time, we sure as hell don't wish to see them suffer.
And in most cases, the person dying, knows how hard it is on the family that is watching them suffer.
If you know your time is almost up, and you're tired, and you know how hard and painful it is to your family, and all the more you lie there- the longer you are suffering- so choosing to go the Kevorkian way, seems so simple to most. It does to me. I would make that choice for myself if faced in a situation any of his patients were.
Btw, the doctor told me my Mother had about 3 months to live- I got 2 weeks, I lost her 2 weeks after she came home under Hospice care :(

He spent 8 years in a Maximum security prison 1999-2007.

I wonder how many would do that to stand behind their beliefs?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

I never liked the man.

Mostly because he did not believe in the rule of law. He was no better than someone who bombs abortion clinics when it comes to respecting the law.

May he now rest in peace.

I have mixed feelings on Assisted Suicide. If it is the choice of the patient, I can be persuaded, what has always concerned me is the quick step from assisted suicide to euthanasia so that the grandson can get his hands on the inheritance sooner rather than later.

Immie

Kevorkian never ended anyone's life. That person did. He gave them the mechanism but they had to consciously pull the cord.

That was not why I disliked him. I disliked him because, to quote geauxtohell, "he allowed his ego and need to flip a finger at the system over ride his original motives". As I said in the post you quoted, I can live with assisted suicide as long as the legislation is written to prevent it from becoming Euthanasia rather than Assisted Suicide.

Immie

Yes he broke the law. And the ladies death he was finally convicted for had just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and probably had years before she would have died from the disease. Saying that, if I was diagnosed with he disease I would have done the same thing.

I never liked the man.

Mostly because he did not believe in the rule of law. He was no better than someone who bombs abortion clinics when it comes to respecting the law.

May he now rest in peace.

I have mixed feelings on Assisted Suicide. If it is the choice of the patient, I can be persuaded, what has always concerned me is the quick step from assisted suicide to euthanasia so that the grandson can get his hands on the inheritance sooner rather than later.

Immie

Kevorkian never ended anyone's life. That person did. He gave them the mechanism but they had to consciously pull the cord.

That was not why I disliked him. I disliked him because, to quote geauxtohell, "he allowed his ego and need to flip a finger at the system over ride his original motives". As I said in the post you quoted, I can live with assisted suicide as long as the legislation is written to prevent it from becoming Euthanasia rather than Assisted Suicide.

Immie

There are plenty of things that we should flip a finger to, like the war on drugs. But to claim to know a man's motives is speculation based on you, not him.

Immie

There are plenty of things that we should flip a finger to, like the war on drugs. But to claim to know a man's motives is speculation based on you, not him.

I never claimed to know his motives. That was geauxtohell and just part of the quote I added. I disliked him based on my impression of him as a person and how he ignored the rule of law.

There are plenty of things that I dislike about how this country is being run right now. I am very much opposed to abortion, but that does not mean that I would go out and break the law for my cause. There were other ways to fight the system that he ignored. He chose to say 'F! you, America. I am going to do what I want to do.' paraphrased, not a direct quote.

Of course, he was prominent before I was politically active and pissed off at both parties. Maybe if he were active today, I'd have been quietly cheering him on. :D

Immie

Didn't practice what he preached...
:eusa_eh:
Doctor Who Helped Others Commit Suicide Did Not Take His Own Life
Friday, June 03, 2011 – Jack Kevorkian, nicknamed “Dr. Death” for assisting in the suicide of some 130 people who had medical conditions, has died at age 83.
No official cause of death has been announced, but local media is reporting that Kevorkian had kidney and respiratory problems.

According to a story on the Website connectmidmichigan.com, Kevorkian was admitted to Beaumont Hospital in his home state of Michigan on May 19 for kidney and pneumonia. Between 1990 and 1999 Kevorkian assisted in the suicide of about 130 people. In March 1999 he was sentenced to 10 to 25 years in a maximum-security prison.

In 1995, the American Medical Association called him “a reckless instrument of death, according to the New York Times. On June 1, 2007, Kevorkian was released from prison after telling authorities he would not assist in any more suicides.

Doctor Who Helped Others Commit Suicide Did Not Take His Own Life | CNSnews.com
Obviously he wasn't in pain prior to his death.

That byline from CNS news "Doctor Who Helped Others Commit Suicide Did Not Take His Own Life" is just so "Christianly" and completely misses the point.

Why would Kavorkian take his life? He wasn't suffering. No wonder they are lost in the clouds on this issue.

Immie

It was the way Kavorikian kept pushing the issue that made me sour on him. He had basically done the impossible, gotten away with breaking Michigan state laws over Physician Assisted Suicide because grand juries refused to indict him. The law was actually changed because the crime was un-prosecutable. That is unheard of.

If Kavorkian would have stopped there, it would be a different story, but he kept pushing the issue until he finally pushed two far, was convicted and went to jail. It's hard to suss out whether Kavorkian was some kind of true believer in the issue over whether the state should be able to regulate physicians in any matter over the issue or if it was about ego. A little of both I suppose.

In doing so, he lost a lot of support for his position. For example, I support PAS in line with the Oregon model. I don't support Kavorkian's vision of "suicide on demand".

But then I'm not a nutcase.

Kavorkian was one VERY weird cookie, and its a shame he represents what should be a much more seriously considered issue.

Kavorkian was one VERY weird cookie, and its a shame he represents what should be a much more seriously considered issue.

He did 8 years to avoid a much longer amount of time.

He didn't stand up for what he believed in, he caved instead of making a stand.

He was evil, and evil people are cowards.

I don't think believing in Euthanasia makes anyone EVUL....Is every veterinarian "EVUL?"

Immie

It was the way Kavorikian kept pushing the issue that made me sour on him. He had basically done the impossible, gotten away with breaking Michigan state laws over Physician Assisted Suicide because grand juries refused to indict him. The law was actually changed because the crime was un-prosecutable. That is unheard of.

If Kavorkian would have stopped there, it would be a different story, but he kept pushing the issue until he finally pushed two far, was convicted and went to jail. It's hard to suss out whether Kavorkian was some kind of true believer in the issue over whether the state should be able to regulate physicians in any matter over the issue or if it was about ego. A little of both I suppose.

In doing so, he lost a lot of support for his position. For example, I support PAS in line with the Oregon model. I don't support Kavorkian's vision of "suicide on demand".

Watch the video JBeukema posted. I just found it and was going to post it myself. Royal Oak Remembers Jack Kevorkian - Royal Oak, MI Patch

Here's another: Friends of Dr. Jack Kevorkian remember the man they knew

There is no sign of egotism from any of his friends and associates. If anything, it is the opposite.

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.
Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935

Watch the video JBeukema posted. I just found it and was going to post it myself. Royal Oak Remembers Jack Kevorkian - Royal Oak, MI Patch

There is no sign of egotism from any of his friends and associates. If anything, it is the opposite.

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

You can quote Twain. or whoever else you want.

Anyone that painted, "Child eating a Decayed Corpse" is a nut.

You can quote Twain. or whoever else you want.

Anyone that painted, "Child eating a Decayed Corpse" is a nut.

Link, proof???

I don't think believing in Euthanasia makes anyone EVUL....Is every veterinarian "EVUL?"

That is officially the worst comparison I have ever seen.

Are you or are you not familiar with how liberals and shit like this works?

He started murdering people that were living in pain with no hope of ever not being in pain.
Then he murdered a woman with Alzheimers. The only pain there is for those around her.

ex; Remember how abortion got passed? We had to save all those victims of rape. Now we can pull all but the head outside the womb, shove a nail in the babies head and vacuum out vacuum out the brains.

Next up to be put out of our misery; the mentally handicapped. After all, it puts so much strain on those around them and society as a whole.

Hey Sampson, where is the painting Kevorkian did of 'Child eating a Decayed Corpse'???

I'm waiting for a link, image, proof?

Hey Sampson, where is the painting Kevorkian did of 'Child eating a Decayed Corpse'???

I'm waiting for a link, image, proof?

Kevorkian did a painting of something called that??
I wasn't aware Kevorkian was a painter. I would hate to think there is such a thing, any painting, with a title name like Child Eating Decayed Corpse.....
Come the fuck on...is this for real??

Forum List

Back