Doctor Bills?

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
What the Hell?

I thought I got something in my eye while working so I go to the eye doctor. The wait at least a 1/2 hour. She checks my eye, swabs it with a Q-tip and tells me it was mucus and gives me some eye drops, 5minutes maximum time............bill 746.00 dollars..

A friend goes to the hospital for a minor operation, 2 day stay at the hospital alone........ 21,178.00 dollars..

I'm not getting why insurance companies are the bad guys here..

The Doctors and the Hospitals are screwing us over Royally from what I'm seeing.

What the Hell?

I thought I got something in my eye while working so I go to the eye doctor. The wait at least a 1/2 hour. She checks my eye, swabs it with a Q-tip and tells me it was mucus and gives me some eye drops, 5minutes maximum time............bill 746.00 dollars..

A friend goes to the hospital for a minor operation, 2 day stay at the hospital alone........ 21,178.00 dollars..

The Doctors and the Hospitals are screwing us over Royally from what I'm seeing.

did you have insurance? did your friend have insurance?

What the Hell?

Yes.. I have insurance and only had to pay 25.00 dollars but 746.00 dollars for 5 minutes work.. that's just screwed.

The friend is wealthy, no insurance and pays cash...

Hey price increases in medical, food and energy are the only things boosting the economy.
Are you unamerican or something?

What the Hell?

Yes.. I have insurance and only had to pay 25.00 dollars but 746.00 dollars for 5 minutes work.. that's just screwed.

and people say the system isnt broken. haha. i wish i could charge $746 for 5 minutes of my service.

Hey price increases in medical, food and energy are the only things boosting the economy.

The point is.. why are people bitching about insurance when the doctors are clearly screwing us over..:evil:

The point is.. why are people bitching about insurance when the doctors are clearly screwing us over..:evil:

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!! They are too dense to care because "insurance will pay it". Every insurance will pay for something the cost of the service/item will increase substantially. How many people will insurance that will pay for medication will still shop around for the lowest price? (This is something I did even when insurance paid the cost).

It used to be that people could afford dental care, until the insurance companies got into it, and now the cost for dental care is prohibitive.

Just look at the cost of veterinarians now. We have one in town that has "insurance" and their prices are over twice what the neighborhood vet charges for the same services.

There are millions of people in the US who are too stupid to actually look at what has been going on in the healthcare industry. We are being ripped off, but because the "republicans" support their schemes, the people don't question.

$3000.00 and walked i walk out with a prescription, a bit of neosporin and a band aid.

What the Hell?

Whaaaaaaa? That can't be right. I was told that the Obama would pay all my doctor bills, my mortgage and put gas in my new free car. Something stinks here!

What the Hell?

Yes, that is what the doctor charges on paper. That is not what the insurance company pays him. He gets the negotiated price which is lower. But you can't blame the docs for trying.

Those prices are highly inflated. Insurance companies negotiate a lower rate, but the remainder is still obscenely high.

The cost structure for private care has become more and more inflated as a shrinking share of private care subsidizes the losses on care provided under government programs.

People also are paying much less out of pocket for health care. The more the consumer is shielded from costs, the more the costs run amok.

boedicca-albums-boedicca-s-stuff-picture2702-health2.jpg

Government Funding Increases Healthcare Costs The Enterprise Blog

What the Hell?

Whaaaaaaa? That can't be right. I was told that the Obama would pay all my doctor bills, my mortgage and put gas in my new free car. Something stinks here!

You forgot food, education, children and vacations.

What the Hell?

You forgot food, education, children and vacations.

No one needs an edyoukayshun when the Obama pays the bills.

Those prices are highly inflated. Insurance companies negotiate a lower rate, but the remainder is still obscenely high.

The cost structure for private care has become more and more inflated as a shrinking share of private care subsidizes the losses on care provided under government programs.

People also are paying much less out of pocket for health care. The more the consumer is shielded from costs, the more the costs run amok.

boedicca-albums-boedicca-s-stuff-picture2702-health2.jpg

Government Funding Increases Healthcare Costs The Enterprise Blog

My wife took my son to see a doctor when he was sick in Canada a few years back. As you know, there are no out of pocket expenses in Canada as the government pays everything. Total cost? $49.

So it certainly isn't just more coverage being paid by third parties.

I know exactly what you mean because I had a very similar experience with an infected finger, a situation that could have been resolved with a quick prescription for penicillin tablets but involved hours of waiting, a fifteen minute interview and completion of a stack of forms, the attention of a tired, harried emergency room physician and billing for several hundred dollars.

If you were in the military you could have turned in to Sick Bay where a perfectly competent Medical Corpsman would have determined that all you needed was an minor eye-swabbing and you would have been out of there in fifteen minutes, tops.

The only reason there are no clinics like that available for these minor medical problems is bureaucracy compounded by fear of lawsuits and standards established by the AMA.

Every medical problem I had in the four years I spent in the military was handled by Navy Medical Corpsmen. I never saw an MD and every problem I had was competently evaluated and adequately treated. So if that level of evaluation and attention is okay for our military personnel it should be good enough for civilians with minor medical problems -- which is the majority of Emergency Room cases.

I know exactly what you mean because I had a very similar experience with an infected finger, a situation that could have been resolved with a quick prescription for penicillin tablets but involved hours of waiting, a fifteen minute interview and completion of a stack of forms, the attention of a tired, harried emergency room physician and billing for several hundred dollars.

If you were in the military you could have turned in to Sick Bay where a perfectly competent Medical Corpsman would have determined that all you needed was an minor eye-swabbing and you would have been out of there in fifteen minutes, tops.

The only reason there are no clinics like that available for these minor medical problems is bureaucracy compounded by fear of lawsuits and standards established by the AMA.

Every medical problem I had in the four years I spent in the military was handled by Navy Medical Corpsmen. I never saw an MD and every problem I had was competently evaluated and adequately treated. So if that level of evaluation and attention is okay for our military personnel it should be good enough for civilians with minor medical problems -- which is the majority of Emergency Room cases.

This clearly makes too much sense...:eusa_eh:

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!! They are too dense to care because "insurance will pay it". Every insurance will pay for something the cost of the service/item will increase substantially. How many people will insurance that will pay for medication will still shop around for the lowest price? (This is something I did even when insurance paid the cost).

It used to be that people could afford dental care, until the insurance companies got into it, and now the cost for dental care is prohibitive.

Just look at the cost of veterinarians now. We have one in town that has "insurance" and their prices are over twice what the neighborhood vet charges for the same services.

There are millions of people in the US who are too stupid to actually look at what has been going on in the healthcare industry. We are being ripped off, but because the "republicans" support their schemes, the people don't question.

You were making so much sense then you blamed Republicans...

This must have a political element but I'm thinking there must be plenty of blame to go around...:confused:

What I have been saying all along while many cried it is all Obamacares fault.

I don't recall Obama talking about Doctors other than paying them off... He blamed insurance companies mostly and had AMA support as I recall..

You were making so much sense then you blamed Republicans...

This must have a political element but I'm thinking there must be plenty of blame to go around...:confused:

I suppose you may be right, but I was thinking of those who are consistently protecting the corporations that clearly and blatantly are ripping off the public. How they can stand there and say that there is nothing wrong with the prices that people are paying or with the quality of care that they receive for the high prices we are paying, is just appalling. And that they have people who blindly go along with this without question, is extremely frustrating.

How is it that so many people in the US do not question the fact that we pay a tremendous amount more for healthcare than any other country in the world? Until they will admit that the country is failing in this regard, it will never improve.

Forum List

Back