Docs vs Glocks law defeated in court...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
MIAMI — A federal appeals court ruled Thursday that Florida doctors can talk to patients about gun safety, declaring a law aimed at restricting such discussions a violation of the First Amendment’s right to free speech.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the so-called “Docs vs. Glocks’’ law does not restrict patients’ Second Amendment rights to own guns. It noted a patient who doesn’t want to be questioned about that can easily find another doctor.

“The Second Amendment right to own and possess firearms does not preclude questions about, commentary on, or criticism for the exercise of that right,” wrote Circuit Judge Adalberto Jordan in one of two majority opinions. “There is no actual conflict between the First Amendment rights of doctors and medical professionals and the Second Amendment rights of patients.”

The law was passed in 2011 and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Scott with strong support from the National Rifle Association. It was the only one of its kind in the nation, although similar laws have been considered in other states.

Court shoots down Docs vs. Glocks law
Moral of the story...the First Amendment also protects your right to lie...so if your doctor asks about your gun ownership...just say no...then find another doctor ASAP.

I also suggest writing him or her a poor review on as many review sites as you can find stating they ask inappropriate questions and that they made you feel uncomfortable.

MIAMI — A federal appeals court ruled Thursday that Florida doctors can talk to patients about gun safety, declaring a law aimed at restricting such discussions a violation of the First Amendment’s right to free speech.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the so-called “Docs vs. Glocks’’ law does not restrict patients’ Second Amendment rights to own guns. It noted a patient who doesn’t want to be questioned about that can easily find another doctor.

“The Second Amendment right to own and possess firearms does not preclude questions about, commentary on, or criticism for the exercise of that right,” wrote Circuit Judge Adalberto Jordan in one of two majority opinions. “There is no actual conflict between the First Amendment rights of doctors and medical professionals and the Second Amendment rights of patients.”

The law was passed in 2011 and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Scott with strong support from the National Rifle Association. It was the only one of its kind in the nation, although similar laws have been considered in other states.

Court shoots down Docs vs. Glocks law
Moral of the story...the First Amendment also protects your right to lie...so if your doctor asks about your gun ownership...just say no...then find another doctor ASAP.

I also suggest writing him or her a poor review on as many review sites as you can find stating they ask inappropriate questions and that they made you feel uncomfortable.

Who goes to a doctor for advice about guns? :uhh:

I dunno, just never thought of going to my grocer if my car won't start...

So...Pogo and I agree on pretty much nothing. Except this. He's right.

Who cares? If my doctor asks me about firearms, I'll suggest it's none of his damn business and I'll probably find another doctor.

patient who doesn’t want to be questioned about that can easily find another doctor.
It would be nice if we applied that logic to everything..

Forum List

Back