Docs tell 83-year-old Swede she's 'too old' for treatment

See those other three articles.
* Swedish hospitals fail to report patient injuries (13 Jul 09)
* Patient dies due to improper IV administration (6 Jul 09)
* Swedish clinic sterilises wrong patient (30 Jun 09)

That's the way it is when government is in charge,glad she could pay herself to get it done and I gotta admit,I as a taxpayer,don't want to pay for unneeded care that spends millions to extent life a few months and things like that but those things should be a personal choice,not government's,imho anyway.

My parents are 86 and 81, both suffer physical problems. Mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis and has been on Remicade (among other treatments) for years. Dad suffers compressed nerves in his back and sees a chiropractor for some relief. I can't imagine what the quality of their health care would be if uncle ran the show. Well, after reading this article . . . . maybe I can.

My parents are 86 and 81, both suffer physical problems. Mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis and has been on Remicade (among other treatments) for years. Dad suffers compressed nerves in his back and sees a chiropractor for some relief. I can't imagine what the quality of their health care would be if uncle ran the show. Well, after reading this article . . . . maybe I can.

Are they not on Medicare?

Medicare doesn't control the Doctors like Sweden undoubtedly does or places an age restriction which would be funny since seniors are the bulk of those on Medicare.

You people are so full of shit your eyes float. I know two women here in the good old USA in their eighties told the same. When you are in your eighties there are other complications that maybe you nitwits hadn't thought about. One is my own mother now approaching ninety.

And say your BS were true, the argument then you put forth would be that we should not have healthcare for Americans because eighty year old people in Sweden can't get back surgery. Your buffoonery reaches the heights of outer space.

Dissident Voice : Why Women Need Single Payer
A Better-Quality Alternative: Single-Payer National Health System Reform | Physicians for a National Health Program
Baucus to Meet with Single-Payer Advocates | CommonDreams.org

You people are so full of shit your eyes float. I know two women here in the good old USA in their eighties told the same. When you are in your eighties there are other complications that maybe you nitwits hadn't thought about. One is my own mother now approaching ninety.

And say your BS were true, the argument then you put forth would be that we should not have healthcare for Americans because eighty year old people in Sweden can't get back surgery. Your buffoonery reaches the heights of outer space.

A Better-Quality Alternative: Single-Payer National Health System Reform | Physicians for a National Health Program

Why were they told that here ,were they on Medicare or Medicade?

Yes. 'Uncle running the show' was in reference to the article . . . you know, older people deemed 'too old for treatment'.

True, there are many complications to consider when one is older. But according to the article, the woman - who decided for herself that she wanted/needed the surgery - didn't have complications, she was just refused the surgery because she was too old. It was decided for her that is was better (and cheaper) to send her home to suffer for the remainder of her life.

Who said 'we should not have health care for Americans'? It's the government run part that is objectionable.

Last edited:

uncle DOES run the SHOW, it's called MEDICARE and tax payers pay for it!

I'm honestly glad they like it and it is GOOD for them zoom!

care

care

:lol:

care

No, that's just it. Uncle isn't telling them who they can and cannot see . . . uncle is not refusing treatment for them because they are too old . . . uncle is not telling them too bad, you can't have this surgery, go home and suffer till you die.

Last edited:
Skogh has suffered from pain and numbness in her legs since 2004....Docs tell 83-year-old Swede she's 'too old' for treatment - The Local

American Health Care Insurance Corporations tell 17,000 people a day they are too unemployed for health care.

Clearly, based on that counter-headline we ought to completely socialize medicine, right?

Yeah, that's right, now something like 17,000 people a day are losing their HC coverage, Ozz.

Based on that dismal figure your point (while valid) probably isn't going to get much political traction in here in this brave new America we're creating.

Medicare has different problems, Physicians opting out of Medicare and a 30 trillion dollar unfunded liability that will be hitting it in a few years if nothing is done about it.

Skogh has suffered from pain and numbness in her legs since 2004....Docs tell 83-year-old Swede she's 'too old' for treatment - The Local

American Health Care Insurance Corporations tell 17,000 people a day they are too unemployed for health care.

Clearly, based on that counter-headline we ought to completely socialize medicine, right?

Yeah, that's right, now something like 17,000 people a day are losing their HC coverage, Ozz.

Based on that dismal figure your point (while valid) probably isn't going to get much political traction in here in this brave new America we're creating.

Are they losing their coverage because they lost their job?

Why is health insurance tied to employment anyway? Why isn't it more like car insurance, where you can shop around for the company that provides what you need at the price you can afford? That way even if you lose your job, you'd still have your health insurance. Or am I being too naive here to think this is an option that would work?

Family blames HMO for teen's death
Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times

Cigna refused to pay for a 17-year-old leukemia patient's liver transplant until the family staged a protest Thursday, but Nataline Sarkisyan died shortly after the reversal.

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
10:41 AM PST, December 21, 2007

A grieving family is blaming an insurance company for the death Thursday of a 17-year-old leukemia patient, who died hours after the company reversed course and agreed to pay for her to receive a liver transplant.

Nataline Sarkisyan was being treated at UCLA Medical Center, where she had been unresponsive in intensive care for about three weeks, her mother said.

"She had a 65% chance of survival if she had gotten the liver," Hilda Sarkisyan said from her home this morning.

The Sarkisyans' insurer, Philadelphia-based Cigna HealthCare, denied the transplant earlier this month.

Doctors at UCLA sent a letter Dec. 11 to Cigna emphasizing that Nataline was eligible for a transplant, Hilda Sarkisyan said. But Cigna refused to pay, citing a lack of medical evidence the procedure would help.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=356134

You mean to tell me private health insurance companies deny treatment to their policyholders? The horror of it all.

Autism Patients' Treatment Is Denied Illegally, Group Says - Consumer Watchdog

http://partnership4coverage.ny.gov/...denise_snow_-_nassau_suffolk_law_services.pdf

CSPAN Hearing: Insurance CO's Criminal Ponzi Scheme Denies Treatment to Sick & Dying - Democratic Underground

Insurance Claims, Denied & Approved, Coverage

They authorized back surgery but denied his $148,000 claim -- chicagotribune.com

Three short examples of how "good private insurance" fails people terribly. | Guaranteed Healthcare

Insurance denied my spinal fusion surgery, what now? - Yahoo! Answers

Nets ignore testimony of cancer patient denied coverage by insurer | Media Matters for America

You can find documented story after story about how private health insurance companies try to deny treatment all the time. Private health insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be, and people are denied treatment all the time, or the insurance company will fight it long enough so by the time the treatment is approved, it is too late to be useful any longer.

That is not to say that private insurance is always bad. The point is that you can find stories of problems with the system whether it be public or private. So coming up with a story of someone being denied coverage in Sweden isn't the horror it is made out to be. How about asking Swedes how they feel about their healthcare overall? We can all find stories of the bad things.

Forum List

Back