Doberman...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
...likely got a bad reputation unfairly. I had a registered female that was close to the perfect dog.

Anyone here have a similar experience with this breed?

Then why "had", and "close to"?

And this is much the same discussion as Rottie's. It's not the dogs that are the problem; it's the owners for thinking they can keep a dog in a situation that's not ideal FOR the dog.

Ex: Rotties and Dobies don't belong around small children; nor do they belong in noisy obnoxious households where nobody has the time to dedicate to their care.

i have a doberman.....this will be my third....none has bitten anyone....when my son was born i had one...it took right to him...anyone who understand pack behavior will know how to train their dog.....but dis is right....dont leave them alone with small kids..who like to pull nubs and ears...

my is around 100 lbs....he is not small about anything..

IMG_0766.jpg

that is him with 10 oz kitten we live trapped....he is a killer....

I had a Doberman once. Tasha.

She was a clown, a friend, a loyal warrior in defense of the family.

That dog had more honourr than most humans I have known.

Most dogs have more honor than most people.

Dogs are sincere.

People?

Not so much.

Then why "had", and "close to"?
"had" because she's dead now. "close to" because no dog is perfect.
And this is much the same discussion as Rottie's. It's not the dogs that are the problem; it's the owners for thinking they can keep a dog in a situation that's not ideal FOR the dog.

Ex: Rotties and Dobies don't belong around small children; nor do they belong in noisy obnoxious households where nobody has the time to dedicate to their care.
If properly trained from 6 weeks old, a Doberman will be quite protective of children. "Skeeter" was such a dog...given to me by my shop crew, would sleep in the V created by my shoulder and the seat back as I drove, grew up amongst cats and friendly people in a large industrial shop environment, was as alert, agile and smart as any dog I have seen...ever, had a litter of 12 puppies sired by a fence jumper (I named them after the disciples, ignoring gender.), was completely devoted to me and those with which I was friendly and loved to play with children.

During a period when I lived alone, she would free-feed on the back deck (from a washtub full of dry food and similar sized water bowl, dig under the fence and wait for me on the front porch, follow me to the bus stop and return home to protect the premises...was nearly the perfect dog.

There was a time when she was about 4 years old that I was working out if town for 5 days at a time. Each Friday when I arrived home she'd be on the porch looking like a guard dog. One Friday I found I note on my door from the neighbors saying that they knew who had my dog...it was the Brown's down at the end of the street. I drove down to the Brown's, knocked on the door and was greeted by a beer-gutted father in a well stretched A-line T-shirt and khaki pants, backed up by a set of six stair-step children ranging from 2 to 8 years old and "Skeeter" trying the wriggle her way through their legs to greet me. The man said "Yep, that's yore dog!" I said, "Yep, she is." They all came out in the yard and the kids started playing with the dog...the youngest of them riding her like a horse around the yard.

Mr.Brown related how his children had walked past my house and made friends with the dog and the dog had followed them home. I related how I was living alone and traveling a lot and I offered to give them the dog if they'd promise not to change her name. After demonstrating a few verbal and silent commands she had learned, I ended up giving them the dog, two cases of canned dog food, two 50lb bags of dry food and two leashes (neither of which were required to control her) and I never saw her again.
o he is a blue..the color is not off in photo...my other two were blacks...is yours a black, blue, red or isabella?
"Skeeter" was black. I previously had a red that I rescued from malnourishment when she was about 18months old. She was very affectionate and attached to me also...would sleep near my truck just waiting to be told to get in for a ride. One day I cranked up to leave the shop and backed over her pelvis...she had been sleeping just behind the right rear tire and I didn't notice...upset me big time. I held her in my arms as I was driven to the vet to be told she would recover. Several months and a couple of thousand dollars later, she was stolen.

Most dogs have more honor than most people.

Dogs are sincere.

People?

Not so much.
I have yet to meet a person that I trust as much as a dog. Though dogs don't speak our language (whatever that may be) they do relate well to facial expressions and tone of voice.

After losing our Australian Shepherd at 13 years, husband announces we will get a doberman, period. He used to breed them many years ago in Tucson.

Found "Ox" on a Doberman Rescue site here in Az. He has natural ears/tail and is just a love. Name...the day our house was approved (this is so weird), he walked by our dining table, tail just swinging and knocked a bunch of stuff on the floor. Husband looked at him, said "you sure are an Ox" and there you go.

The furry kid (doberman) is about as vicious as a marshmellow. He is about 2.5 years and a black & tan.

I had a brown, HUGE dobie named "Nicki" for a while when I lived in Eugene. She was wonderful. She was very timid...any stranger in the house she would come and lay on my feet or behind them, and look out if she thought you posed a threat.

Good with kids, good with little animals, the sweetest loviest thing you can imagine.

But she really hated lesbians for some reason. We were walking her in Jefferson park and two chicks about 300 yards away were walking hand in hand and she went flipping berserck. Go figure.

She liked me and not my boyfriend, which made him mad and resulted in him being shitty to her, so I ended up giving her to two gay hippie guys who lived in a house adjoining the parking lot of the apartment complex we managed. Apparently she had no problem whatever with gay dudes. Just lesbos. Those guys absolutely LOVED her. And I love dobies.

they understand so many more words than the average dog, our blue and our mix are always on duty.......our mix is mostly golden....they hang out together

i have a doberman.....this will be my third....none has bitten anyone....when my son was born i had one...it took right to him...anyone who understand pack behavior will know how to train their dog.....but dis is right....dont leave them alone with small kids..who like to pull nubs and ears...

my is around 100 lbs....he is not small about anything..

IMG_0766.jpg

that is him with 10 oz kitten we live trapped....he is a killer....

you should go get cash for clunker funiture

naw with 3 cats ....its clunker furniture the minute they hit it....plus the puppy stage of a doberman involves a lot of chewing....a brand new orvis bed....filled with cedar...his first act was to reach down and grab the zipper part and rip it off. plus that is my recliner....i dont replace anything till i have to...

naw with 3 cats ....its clunker furniture the minute they hit it....plus the puppy stage of a doberman involves a lot of chewing....a brand new orvis bed....filled with cedar...his first act was to reach down and grab the zipper part and rip it off. plus that is my recliner....i dont replace anything till i have to...

well dobermans are good dogs.

they are excellent dogs...my son jokes that all my dobermans are for...is to be within 3 ft of me...when my son decided to do a walk about...at around 4 yrs old...ended up nearly a 1/2 mile away....the people who found him....said they werent sure where the boy belonged but knew the dog....they tryed to get my son but found zack in between them and my son.....and not allowing anyone near my son..
when we got there...there was zack keeping son off the road and people from son...zack would however take a burger from the boy in the blink of any eye

They're not the happy go lucky, loves everyone kind of dgs that most people (who merely encounter one on the streets) love.

But with dobies (unlike pitt bulls) I think one can safely have one that you can rely on not to go psychotic on you.

As you say that breed takes it queue from its master.

they are excellent dogs...my son jokes that all my dobermans are for...is to be within 3 ft of me...when my son decided to do a walk about...at around 4 yrs old...ended up nearly a 1/2 mile away....the people who found him....said they werent sure where the boy belonged but knew the dog....they tryed to get my son but found zack in between them and my son.....and not allowing anyone near my son..
when we got there...there was zack keeping son off the road and people from son...zack would however take a burger from the boy in the blink of any eye

that dog is a keeper

zack has been gone for a while....bull mastiffs....a friend of mine has them....i am not much into them..first they are huge...2nd they have a lot of health problems....and i dont care for them around kids...just too big...of course i dont care for large dogs being alone with small kids...my dob now, thor, wouldnt hurt a kid...but he is like a big 100 lb wiggling puppy...think bowling ball rolling into group of wee ones....kids flying....and he is just a wiggling.....so that is a no go...

i would look into the mastiff...but be careful..you do realize the bigger the dog..the shorter the life span?
i am not sure what the average is for a mastiff...but i would think maybe 6 to 8 years old....look it up...i could be wrong...

Forum List

Back