Do You Understand? The Meaning of Words.

I would characterize my response to this thread as nonplussed if only I had experienced the state of being plussed in order to know the difference.

Exactly.....for example....I have been disgruntled at times in my life. But has anyone ever been gruntled?

"I'm feeling very gruntled today."
:D
Yes since people grumble everyday.

Wrong meaning. Apparently there really is a state of gruntledness.

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
adjective: gruntled
  1. pleased, satisfied, and contented.
Origin
upload_2015-1-20_1-5-9.png

1930s: back-formation from disgruntled.

I would characterize my response to this thread as nonplussed if only I had experienced the state of being plussed in order to know the difference.

Exactly.....for example....I have been disgruntled at times in my life. But has anyone ever been gruntled?

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048
You should look at the etymology of the word if you wish to understand it.

Online Etymology Dictionary

disgruntle (v.)
1680s, from dis- "entirely, very" + obsolete gruntle "to grumble" (Middle English gruntelen, early 15c.), frequentative of grunt (v.).

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048

disgruntle (v.)
1680s, from dis- "entirely, very" + obsolete gruntle "to grumble" (Middle English gruntelen, early 15c.), frequentative of grunt (v.).

That's nice. From 4 centuries ago. Now obsolete relative to current meaning. :thup:

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048

disgruntle (v.)

That's nice. From 4 centuries ago. Now obsolete relative to current meaning. :thup:
Origins are never obsolete. Only fools disregard the history of anything.

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048

disgruntle (v.)

You sound disgruntled. :D

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048

disgruntle (v.)

You sound naive and mentally pliable.

grun·tled
ˈɡrən(t)ld/
adjective
humorous
Origin
View attachment 36048

disgruntle (v.)

No...I'm fully gruntled. Fully. :D

disgruntle (v.)

No...I'm fully gruntled. Fully. :D
I dont believe you. You were wrong and deflected instead of just admitting it.

Let's start with the word “behead.” Beheading is offensive and not because I find the process gruesome or brutal, but because I find the word “behead” to be an affront to the English language. To behead someone is to separate the head from the remainder of the unfortunate person; however the prefix “be” generally means to give, not remove. For example when one is benighted, knighthood is conferred upon him. Likewise, to betroth means to give troth (a promise or pledge), and bedazzle means to add dazzle. It is the prefix “de” which is suggestive of a loss, as evidenced by such words as defrocked, dethroned, debugged and deboned. It should be clear that when a man is deheaded he loses head, but when he is beheaded he receives head. Unfortunate indeed is the men who is deheaded, but blessed and happy is the man who is beheaded.

I also object to the fact that the noun “stuff” has no plural from . If your stuff and my stuff are together and we refer to it as our stuff, someone might think everything is commonly or jointly owned. However, if we said it was our stuffs, they would immediately know it is a combination of that which you own and that which I own.

And finally, I must address the word “overwhelmed.” For years, I wondered why people would often say the were overwhelmed but no one ever said they were underwhelmed or merely whelmed. Then I went to the dictionary and found that “whelmed” means “to be overcome utterly, to be overpowered or crushed.” But “overwhelmed” means the same thing, so why would anyone use unnecessary syllables to define their state of mind? I suggest that the word “whelmed” is a legitimate word but “overwhelmed” is nothing but a waste of breath. Besides, since “whelmed” means to be overpowered, “overwhelmed” would mean that you were over-overpowered. It simply doesn't make sense.

PS: The prefix “de” generally means to take away, and sometimes I entertain myself by taking words that start with the letters “de” and redefining them. For example: debriefed (having one's undershorts removed); degenerate (to remove a man's source of emergency electrical power); delight (to remove one's source of illumination); and deliver (to remove a blood cleansing organ).

I never utilize the word utilize.

Use suffices. It has only one syllable.

Obviously not a doctor.
Sit in on a medical lecture sometime. Cluster upon cluster of hyperinflated overelocutionary wankitude about neonates and necroses all designed to pump the ordinary into the pseud-extraordinary to justify transfers of huge gobs of cash.

I heard one guy begin to say "use", caught himself in mid-consonant to shift to "utilize", and nearly swallowed his own tongue.

Jewelry

for the life of me I can't pronounce it w/o intentionally slowing down and thinking about how to say it.

there for it could be said that I amateurnounce it.

just sayin

Almost nobody outside of broadcasting pronounces the letter W correctly. Most of us drop the L in it.

Let's start with the word “behead.” Beheading is offensive and not because I find the process gruesome or brutal, but because I find the word “behead” to be an affront to the English language. To behead someone is to separate the head from the remainder of the unfortunate person; however the prefix “be” generally means to give, not remove. For example when one is benighted, knighthood is conferred upon him. Likewise, to betroth means to give troth (a promise or pledge), and bedazzle means to add dazzle. It is the prefix “de” which is suggestive of a loss, as evidenced by such words as defrocked, dethroned, debugged and deboned. It should be clear that when a man is deheaded he loses head, but when he is beheaded he receives head. Unfortunate indeed is the men who is deheaded, but blessed and happy is the man who is beheaded.

I also object to the fact that the noun “stuff” has no plural from . If your stuff and my stuff are together and we refer to it as our stuff, someone might think everything is commonly or jointly owned. However, if we said it was our stuffs, they would immediately know it is a combination of that which you own and that which I own.

And finally, I must address the word “overwhelmed.” For years, I wondered why people would often say the were overwhelmed but no one ever said they were underwhelmed or merely whelmed. Then I went to the dictionary and found that “whelmed” means “to be overcome utterly, to be overpowered or crushed.” But “overwhelmed” means the same thing, so why would anyone use unnecessary syllables to define their state of mind? I suggest that the word “whelmed” is a legitimate word but “overwhelmed” is nothing but a waste of breath. Besides, since “whelmed” means to be overpowered, “overwhelmed” would mean that you were over-overpowered. It simply doesn't make sense.

PS: The prefix “de” generally means to take away, and sometimes I entertain myself by taking words that start with the letters “de” and redefining them. For example: debriefed (having one's undershorts removed); degenerate (to remove a man's source of emergency electrical power); delight (to remove one's source of illumination); and deliver (to remove a blood cleansing organ).

Oh I've used underwhelmed for decades, and I didn't make it up.

As for be- let's see... begorrah.. bejeezus... Belinda... berate... yeah it's bewildering.

Let's start with the word “behead.” Beheading is offensive and not because I find the process gruesome or brutal, but because I find the word “behead” to be an affront to the English language. To behead someone is to separate the head from the remainder of the unfortunate person; however the prefix “be” generally means to give, not remove. For example when one is benighted, knighthood is conferred upon him. Likewise, to betroth means to give troth (a promise or pledge), and bedazzle means to add dazzle.

Actually this is quite a crucial thought. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I'm tempted to tell a woman she looks "becoming"....

:eusa_shifty:

New Topics

Forum List

Back