Do You Think You're Good at Criticism?

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
As many of you know, I'm working with this new charity to help our returning troops and veterans. It's a good thing but very new and I'm the least "military minded" of the group, having run my own business for the last 20 years.
So here's something many of you guys are good at: Picking things apart. I'm not talking about the "Conservaturds" or "Libtards" kind of stupidity but JEEZ y'all can discuss everything from Citizens United to The Bible. But are you good at constructive criticism?

If so, go to this site and help me share with the brass, your observations:

The New Terrain Foundation -

1. Are you immediately clear about what we do?
2. Does it look good. What could make it look better.
3. Is it easy to move around?
4. Is anything confusing or just plain bad?
5. Is it too much? Too little? Just right?

This is important guys & gals so be direct. We have had more US troops die from suicide than enemy fire every month for quite a while now. New Terrain programs have gotten great reviews from the vets and military observers (shrinks me thinks). But I think there are some things about the site that could be modified (especially for those who are computer / internet challenged) and have been tasked with putting together a report with specifics by this week-end. I would prefer to include comments from a few focus groups, rather than just my own observations.

Thanks in advance. Frederick

I thought it was a good site, no "mystery meat" navigation and pretty straight forward.

1. Are you immediately clear about what we do? (Yes)
2. Does it look good. What could make it look better. (Nothing I could see)
3. Is it easy to move around? (Yes)
4. Is anything confusing or just plain bad? (Nope)
5. Is it too much? Too little? Just right? (Just Right)

Last edited:
Looks to me like you're duplicating a lot of other similar programs.

But if you can get corporations on board to help the returning VETs get jobs, then by all means do it.

Looks to me like you're duplicating a lot of other similar programs.

But if you can get corporations on board to help the returning VETs get jobs, then by all means do it.

Thanks everyone. For several months running, we've had more vets die of suicide than troops killed in battle. I'm helping with this one and will be the keynote speaker in Vegas next month and am also going to fund another program to help the vets on a more practical level: Occupational Training. I own a recruiting firm and will offer one on ones for resume writing, interviewing etc... I'm also going to have kids from my daughters' high school help with training the vets in basic business software like Word, Excel, Outlook etc...
Then we can piggyback both organizations for a combination of getting their heads back in a more positive place and then giving them tools to sustain a better outlook.

Any suggestions for a name of the one I'm starting?

If there are so many suicides there is a serious problem with the quality of those who are going into the military. Meaning we have a serious problem with the society incubating these men and women.

On first glance it looks pretty good to me. If it were a commercial site, I might suggest something more attention grabbing, and less verbose, but it sounds like you can assume anyone finding this site already has an interest in the topic. So I think it's about right.

The only criticism I might offer, on the front page anyway, is that the banner graphic takes up quite a bit of real estate. On smaller monitors it could push the 'learn more' buttons off the page.

You have way to many options on the front page. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) applies to websites even more that it does to engineering. Just looking at the page I have no idea that the site is about suicide prevention because I have to scroll to see that. Additionally, some of your buttons block the text. If I was looking for an organization that deserved my money and/or time I would keep going because the site is so poorly designed I would think the organization is trying to impress me with non existent skills.

You have way to many options on the front page. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) applies to websites even more that it does to engineering. Just looking at the page I have no idea that the site is about suicide prevention because I have to scroll to see that. Additionally, some of your buttons block the text. If I was looking for an organization that deserved my money and/or time I would keep going because the site is so poorly designed I would think the organization is trying to impress me with non existent skills.

This is pretty much the same sentiment I had (although I wasn't such an ass about it).
I suggested a site with say, five pages total. Home page with the Mission Statement right there in the center of it (which not not suicide prevention, btw), Programs & resources for vets, how people can help, and Contact Us. That was it.
Although I do a lot of work for them, I don't make the final call on the website. One of the things I've learned from volunteering over the years is to make suggestions but follow orders. NTF has accomplished some good things and helped people who need it. NTF is people who give their time, money and efforts to their fellow Americans. While other people call themselves patriotic but do nothing more for their country or countrymen, than complain on internet sites, these people are real patriots. So I can be patient and understanding until we get this one detail worked out.

This is pretty much the same sentiment I had (although I wasn't such an ass about it).
I suggested a site with say, five pages total. Home page with the Mission Statement right there in the center of it (which not not suicide prevention, btw), Programs & resources for vets, how people can help, and Contact Us. That was it.
Although I do a lot of work for them, I don't make the final call on the website. One of the things I've learned from volunteering over the years is to make suggestions but follow orders. NTF has accomplished some good things and helped people who need it. NTF is people who give their time, money and efforts to their fellow Americans. While other people call themselves patriotic but do nothing more for their country or countrymen, than complain on internet sites, these people are real patriots. So I can be patient and understanding until we get this one detail worked out.

You know the organization, which means you look at the website as a minor annoyance. I don't, so I see the bad website as a reason to look at other organizations. If it was me I would eliminate the huge banner right off the bat. The mission statement doesn't have to be on the front page but I should have a really good idea about what they are about. To me it looks like they are trying to accomplish so many different things that they lack focus.

You know the organization, which means you look at the website as a minor annoyance. I don't, so I see the bad website as a reason to look at other organizations. If it was me I would eliminate the huge banner right off the bat. The mission statement doesn't have to be on the front page but I should have a really good idea about what they are about. To me it looks like they are trying to accomplish so many different things that they lack focus.

Thank you! This is actually useful and constructive criticism.
Oh and it's not that I find the site a minor annoyance, I hate the danm thing. But it's not within my scope of authority to change. I just offered to get feedback from people outside our organization because well, as you said, the site kinda sucks.

Thank you! This is actually useful and constructive criticism.
Oh and it's not that I find the site a minor annoyance, I hate the danm thing. But it's not within my scope of authority to change. I just offered to get feedback from people outside our organization because well, as you said, the site kinda sucks.

To be fair, I think the Salvation Army website sucks also, I just ignore it because I know them and like them. I have not seen a good site managed by a non profit yet, they all tend to be behind the times.

Forum List

Back