Do you think U.S should donate food to N.Korea?

Not a lot of manufacturing jobs lost to North Korea. Are you saying don't give food aid to any other countries on principle? Is it never in our own best interests?

Charities are free to do with their resources whatever they choose to do. When governments get involved several things happen, the most important one is corruption is immediate and pervasive, thus the food that was supposed to go to those in need often dowesn't, so whatever political benefit you hoped to get from your largesse goes unrewarded.

Secondly just giving food away to those who are in desert, or conflict areas will never amount to anything because they never learn to take care of themselves. It is a never ending cycle of desperation and once again graft.

Food aid to nations that have had major disasters such as occured in Japan and New Zealand I have no problem with, however giving aid to NK or Zimbabwe would be stupid beyond belief.

So, you don't think that aid can ever play a role in maintaining a degree of stability in an area of our interest? Or are you opposed to it regardless? Also, do you feel that humanitarian concerns are part of our national interest?

Show me one place where it has worked. Humanitarian concerns are fine in cases of natural disasters like I stated earlier. Absent that, the only groups who should give food to terrorist nations are charitable organisations. Governments should not get involved with them at all. It only allows them to continue on ad infinitum.

Last edited:
Charities are free to do with their resources whatever they choose to do. When governments get involved several things happen, the most important one is corruption is immediate and pervasive, thus the food that was supposed to go to those in need often dowesn't, so whatever political benefit you hoped to get from your largesse goes unrewarded.

Secondly just giving food away to those who are in desert, or conflict areas will never amount to anything because they never learn to take care of themselves. It is a never ending cycle of desperation and once again graft.

Food aid to nations that have had major disasters such as occured in Japan and New Zealand I have no problem with, however giving aid to NK or Zimbabwe would be stupid beyond belief.

So, you don't think that aid can ever play a role in maintaining a degree of stability in an area of our interest? Or are you opposed to it regardless? Also, do you feel that humanitarian concerns are part of our national interest?

Show me one place where it has worked. Humanitarian concerns are fine in cases of natural disasters like I stated earlier. Absent that, the only groups who should give food to terrorist nations are charitable organisations. Governments should not get involved with them at all. It only allows them to continue on ad infinitum.

Isn't N Korea suffering from extreme drought?

Oh look, we just found an excuse to give food to starving people, how irresponsible of us.

Show me one place where it has worked. .

If there is no effect, then why has China long provided aid to North Korea? They have no inherent love for that fucked up country. What could be their motivation?

If there is no effect, then why has China long provided aid to North Korea? They have no inherent love for that fucked up country. What could be their motivation?

China doesn't want North Korean refugees. They give N Korea food aid to lower the incentive for N Koreans to cross into China (in violation of both N Korean and Chinese law, though if I had to pick I'd much rather violate Chinese law)

China doesn't want North Korean refugees. They give N Korea food aid to lower the incentive for N Koreans to cross into China (in violation of both N Korean and Chinese law, though if I had to pick I'd much rather violate Chinese law)

In other words, they want to maintain stability...

Exactly.

You pretty much nailed it, China doesn't want an influx of North Korean refugees into their country, and they view North Korea as a bulwark rather than having US Troops right on their doorstep, thats why they sent Chinese Troops into the Korean war in the first place.

In other words, they want to maintain stability...

In other words, the ball is in their court.

You pretty much nailed it, China doesn't want an influx of North Korean refugees into their country, and they view North Korea as a bulwark rather than having US Troops right on their doorstep, thats why they sent Chinese Troops into the Korean war in the first place.

North Korea is China's Step Child. North Korea is their problem.

I wish China would suffocate her step child with a pillow than.

I wish China would suffocate her step child with a pillow than.

Well, I hope change is in the wind there. Then again, with the consolidation of power here, we are starting to look more like NK. :eek: What's up with that?

Isn't N Korea suffering from extreme drought?

Oh look, we just found an excuse to give food to starving people, how irresponsible of us.

Nice try but the answer is no.

Because it is in their best interest to do so. NK is at best an ally and a country that will do China's bidding when that time comes. And at worst NK is a thorn in Chinas side that China would rather not deal with at the moment as it will be bloody and costly.

Not sure a famine caused by one of the most fucked up governments the world has ever known counts as a natural disaster or not, but it doesn't make those people any less hungry.

Not sure a famine caused by one of the most fucked up governments the world has ever known counts as a natural disaster or not, but it doesn't make those people any less hungry.

Hungry yes, and hopefully they'll figure out that they have had enough and remove the leadership. That is up to them. On the other hand, by continuosly giving them food all you do is increase the instability in the region (or do you consider the artillery bombardment of the SK island and the sinking of the SK warship stable?) because the leadership feels they can get away with anything.

Hungry yes, and hopefully they'll figure out that they have had enough and remove the leadership. That is up to them. .

Do you really think a popular uprising among the literally starving and brainwashed people of NK is ever likely?

Forum List

Back