CDZ Do you think society should reward you in accordance with your value and merit?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
  1. Do you think society should reward you in accordance with your value and merit? Yes or no?
    • Should the same approach you think society should use to reward you be used to reward everyone else? Yes or no? Why or why not?

The OP is too open ended to be answered.

Define what you mean by "reward."

How is a person's "value" and "merit" to be measured and by who?

1. Do you think society should reward you in accordance with your value and merit? Yes or no?
    • Should the same approach you think society should use to reward you be used to reward everyone else? Yes or no? Why or why not?
Society can kiss my ass, I'll reward me based on what I think my value and merit is. :thup:

Society is just fashion with really drawn out seasons. Why should the most fashionable be rewarded over the less fashionable?

Yes, I'm a big fan of a meritocratic society.

However, I do think that we should do our best to be somewhat equal in the opportunity to be rewarded and not confuse equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. I'm staunchly against equality of outcome.

Last edited:
Society is just fashion with really drawn out seasons. Why should the most fashionable be rewarded over the less fashionable?
Its evolutionary in basis. In theory, society and people reward those who they think offer the greatest benefits to themselves or society at large. It is the reason why we have these big rewards for achievements, and we write down the important and influential people who contributed to our history and culture down in our history books.

This is down both on a macro level (such as I've mentioned), but even in our micro-interactions. You pay for your food because it has value to you. You pay for your car because it has worth to you. Similarly, your employer pays you because you produce value for the company. You may receive a bonus, if you do an extraordinary job.

Now, nothing is perfect, so I'm not saying everything strictly can be broken down in this exceptionally simplistic manner...but the generalization holds true. We reward those who contribute to us, and rightly so. (Of course if you are a fan of communism or welfare programs that don't require people to actively search for jobs, this point may be lost upon you).

The implication is that some elaborate system judges action and distributes some kind of recompense accordingly. 'Reward' can be a word of encouragement from a respected person, or it can be a new car for meeting a sales goal. 'Society' already gives approbation to heroes and celebrities for what is socially deemed laudable, though this can appear excessive in the view of certain societal segments.

and it doesn't have to be too elaborate. Free market tend to take care of it most of the time.

Essentially yes we should be rewarded for worth / hard work.

We are best with a bit of welfare thrown in. Folks won't be kidnapping rich kids for ransome quite as bad and sometimes honest people do need a bankruptcy.

There is no free market. The market is dictated by those with most money. Everyone else has to struggle against that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

So obvious it's passing strange that it seems to need to be stated, isn't it?
Well I think so. You only have to count the great little companies that get swallowed by the giants.
The biggest bus company in the UK. Used to run free busses against competitors to force them out of business.They could afford to do so.
It's a jungle not a market.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

So when you say "society" you really mean government

and government "rewards" people by taking money from other people

so the answer is an absolutely no fucking way

Last edited:

Society, no. The market, yes.

And it's not a matter of what you think you should be rewarded nor what you think of your value or merit. It's how free people making voluntary decisions value you. It's the market that will determine your reward. What you think is irrelevant.

Is this not obvious? What am I missing?

And it's not a matter of what you think you should be rewarded nor what you think of your value or merit. It's how free people making voluntary decisions value you. It's the market that will determine your reward. What you think is irrelevant.

What am I missing?

Given the scope of the matter, the brevity of your remarks makes it quite difficult to with certainty say.

Societies judge and reward individuals based on (perceived) merit. It's what societies do. This is as true of baboons as humans, although baboons do a somewhat better job of it.

What am I missing?

Given the scope of the matter, the brevity of your remarks makes it quite difficult to with certainty say.
I find it amusing that you use the phrase "brevity of your remarks" to (I'm guessing here) try to discount eflatminor's post, when your post, framing the topic, is no less brief. A broad topic calls for a broad response, IMHO.

What am I missing?

Setting aside the ridiculousness of suggesting a brief retort is inherently flawed, why don't you explain exactly why my response has so displeased you.

Forum List

Back