Do you think everybody should believe in God or a higher power?

I am merely saying that my decision was arrived at no differently than yours was.
I would say that we both used information available to us to arrive at our respective decisions. Just because mine is different than yours makes it no more or less prideful or sinful.
I go back to an agreement with you that we do make decisions and choices. I think maybe I should cover a little better that pride issue I mentioned.

Pride is something we all suffer throughout our lives. Some more some less. We can take something that we think is from within ourselves and say that we did something wonderful when in fact it was what was written into our hearts from God. It is good that we recognize talent but it's not good when we take a credit for it when it is clearly a gift that we have been given. A great artist should take pride in their work to deliver to the best of their abilities. However most great artist will readily admit that the talent and the ability works through them. It is not theirs it is a gift.

You mentioned that which comes from the heart. We may look at this a bit differently yet very much the same. It is my belief that God created the heart that is willing to share with a stranger whom they may never know or will receive any credit for giving to that stranger in this world. I believe God writes those instructions into that man or woman's heart and God does this without letting a prideful person know He is the one that has instructed that mission to be accomplished.

I am merely saying that my decision was arrived at no differently than yours was.
I would say that we both used information available to us to arrive at our respective decisions. Just because mine is different than yours makes it no more or less prideful or sinful.
I go back to an agreement with you that we do make decisions and choices. I think maybe I should cover a little better that pride issue I mentioned.

Pride is something we all suffer throughout our lives. Some more some less. We can take something that we think is from within ourselves and say that we did something wonderful when in fact it was what was written into our hearts from God. It is good that we recognize talent but it's not good when we take a credit for it when it is clearly a gift that we have been given. A great artist should take pride in their work to deliver to the best of their abilities. However most great artist will readily admit that the talent and the ability works through them. It is not theirs it is a gift.

You mentioned that which comes from the heart. We may look at this a bit differently yet very much the same. It is my belief that God created the heart that is willing to share with a stranger whom they may never know or will receive any credit for giving to that stranger in this world. I believe God writes those instructions into that man or woman's heart and God does this without letting a prideful person know He is the one that has instructed that mission to be accomplished.

Would you also say the opposite is true?
You will give credit to god for the talents and 'gifts' one has, will you also give credit to god for the opposing position that some may have?
I would imagine that you would credit the wonderful things that Mother Theresa has done as being 'god-given', but would you give that same credit to god for the actions of Vernon Howell? To me, you can't have one without the other. If god is partly responsible for the good, then he is also partly responsible for the bad.
Humans make those decisions independently of god. Mother Theresa may think she was influenced by god just as Vernon Howell thinks he was. Both say god was was their guide, I say they they made those decisions on their own.

You will give credit to god for the talents and 'gifts' one has, will you also give credit to god for the opposing position that some may have?
I would imagine that you would credit the wonderful things that Mother Theresa has done as being 'god-given', but would you give that same credit to god for the actions of Vernon Howell? To me, you can't have one without the other. If god is partly responsible for the good, then he is also partly responsible for the bad.
Humans make those decisions independently of god. Mother Theresa may think she was influenced by god just as Vernon Howell thinks he was. Both say god was was their guide, I say they they made those decisions on their own.
No I won't give God the credit for the opposing position that some may have. I would give credit to Mother Theresa for choosing that which is good. I don't know if Mother Theresa picked up a club and bashed someone's head in with it. Clubbing someone is violence in raw form.

We have been taught before time that the violent take it by force. If they were with us from the beginning they would have remained.

Vernon Howell dealt in guns, drugs and promoted violence. He mislead people and he led people down the proverbial path teaching them in error. He claimed to be something he was not. We are also taught to test the spirits whether they are of God. Evidently no one bothered to do this with Vernon Howell. Furthermore, we also know that there will be many false teachers and many false prophets. We are also taught that there are those who say they are jew and are not. We are not to follow anyone who promotes murder, violence, mayhem, and hate for his brother (sister). Anyone who does will be given over to murder, violence, mayhem and hate. It is not a tough act to follow. However, there are those here in the world who may tell you otherwise. My best advice to you is if there is love in your heart protect it, cherish it, cultivate it, water it and make it to grow. We are accountable for the choices we make here in this world to God and our fellow man. Anyone who tells you any different is a liar.

My ex-wife believed in herself as the Higher Power
And I told her that her leader was below.

I believe in God and he has helped me from time to time.

Baltimore Bob

My ex-wife believed in herself as the Higher Power
And I told her that her leader was below.

I believe in God and he has helped me from time to time.

Baltimore Bob

Read His book. It's great. You learn about Him about what ticks him off and what He loves. The best thing I think God loves from us is 2 words. Thank you.

No I won't give God the credit for the opposing position that some may have. I would give credit to Mother Theresa for choosing that which is good. I don't know if Mother Theresa picked up a club and bashed someone's head in with it. Clubbing someone is violence in raw form.

We have been taught before time that the violent take it by force. If they were with us from the beginning they would have remained.

Vernon Howell dealt in guns, drugs and promoted violence. He mislead people and he led people down the proverbial path teaching them in error. He claimed to be something he was not. We are also taught to test the spirits whether they are of God. Evidently no one bothered to do this with Vernon Howell. Furthermore, we also know that there will be many false teachers and many false prophets. We are also taught that there are those who say they are jew and are not. We are not to follow anyone who promotes murder, violence, mayhem, and hate for his brother (sister). Anyone who does will be given over to murder, violence, mayhem and hate. It is not a tough act to follow. However, there are those here in the world who may tell you otherwise. My best advice to you is if there is love in your heart protect it, cherish it, cultivate it, water it and make it to grow. We are accountable for the choices we make here in this world to God and our fellow man. Anyone who tells you any different is a liar.

While I do agree with much of what you said, I don't agree with all of it. I feel more accountable to myself for choices I make than I do to my fellow man. And of course, being an atheist means I don't think I will be accountable to god. I can be pretty hard on myself if I make a bad choice. Fortunately, I think things through quite a bit before I make choices that can be life altering.

How do you feel about about other religions and the people that practice them? For example, Is a buddhist's decision about the higher power he worships just as valuable as a christians? (Insert any other religions into that last sentence).

While I do agree with much of what you said, I don't agree with all of it. I feel more accountable to myself for choices I make than I do to my fellow man. And of course, being an atheist means I don't think I will be accountable to god. I can be pretty hard on myself if I make a bad choice. Fortunately, I think things through quite a bit before I make choices that can be life altering.

How do you feel about about other religions and the people that practice them?
Choices we all make choices here.

MoutainMan said:
For example, Is a buddhist's decision about the higher power he worships just as valuable as a christians? (Insert any other religions into that last sentence).
I don't know. Maybe to him or her it is. I made my choice. They make theirs. Everyone has to make their own choices.

MoutainMan said:
For example, Is a buddhist's decision about the higher power he worships just as valuable as a christians? (Insert any other religions into that last sentence).
I don't know. Maybe to him or her it is. I made my choice. They make theirs. Everyone has to make their own choices.

Ok, let me rephrase that as it pertains to the subject line of this thread.

In your opinion, would you think that somebody that believes in a higher power other than what your choice in a higher power is, would be better off or has made a better decision than I as an atheist have made?

MoutainMan said:

In your opinion, would you think that somebody that believes in a higher power other than what your choice in a higher power is, would be better off or has made a better decision than I as an atheist have made?
Let me ask you this question. Have you ever believe in Jesus or God?

Let me ask you this question. Have you ever believe in Jesus or God?

You are dodging now, but I will answer you anyway.

When I was younger I did believe in god, or a higher power. I spent quite a few years reading various religious texts and philosophies. My own personal exploration of religion included studying Christianity (various forms of it), Islam, Judaism, Scientology, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and a few lesser known religions. I am an expert on none of them.

As for Jesus, I believe he existed, but maybe more as a compilation of more than one person. I don't think he was the son of god, but instead was just a pretty wise man.

MoutainMan said:

No.

No.

That was short and sweet.
So, just to attempt to pry more out of you, is somebody that believes differently than you on the level as an atheist?

No.

That was short and sweet.
So, just to attempt to pry more out of you, is somebody that believes differently than you on the level as an atheist?
There are a lot of Christians that believe differently than I do. So?

Forum List

Back