Do you think everybody should believe in God or a higher power?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by alan1, Jun 6, 2009.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    That question is for RodISHI.

For the purpose of this thread, I would like to discuss god and religion with RodISHI only. I respectfully ask that everybody else please let this discussion/debate occur and develop between RodISHI and I. The moderating team has told me they don't have the time to keep the rest of you from getting involved, so please do it as a favor to us.

RodISHI,
    Do you think everybody should believe in God or a higher power?

2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I do believe that everyone born of the spirit of God does believe. It would be nice if all those who live in flesh would believe.

3. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Since I don't believe, does that mean I am not born of the spirit of god in your opinion?

4. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Not exactly. Many sleep in the dust of the earth. You may be asleep and unaware. Some are blinded to fill God's purpose. Others are blinded in their own stubborn pride or sin. God knows your heart.

5. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I don't think that disbelief means I am stubborn, asleep, blinded or in sin. It's an analysis I have made and I have determined in my mind that god (or gods) don't exist. Since I don't believe in a god, I also have no use for religion in my life.

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I can understand that you have thought this all out in your own mind and I do understand that you may think that a way. I would still attribute that to pride or a vanity you may have. You made the analysis for yourself as you say. Is not that a bit prideful?

Can't say I have much use for a lot of religion myself. There is a big difference between religion and faith or belief.

7. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    No more prideful or sinful than you saying you accepted god. You could attribute your decision to god, but then, you should attribute my decision to god as well, if he is powerful enough to influence you, then he must have influenced my decision also.

There is. I'll give you that one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Accepting God as a prideful mannerism is possibly your perception. Maybe you can explain that one better for I can understand where your coming from there?

I can't see that acceptance of a belief is a prideful thing in as much as an acceptance to believing that there is such a thing as a spirit of God. The spirit of God is something more than mere flesh can explain or conceive. One must actually be humble themselves before God.

Sinful is the nature of a flesh being so I cannot deny that my flesh has not sinned yet to have a belief in God is not a sin so I cannot see your point. If I boast of that which I have been afforded then you may have a point of that being a sin. Then again if I boast I hope it will be of the grace given to me this lowly being that I am living in this state as a flesh being.

I do agree with you. It is only God that can lift that veil. He keeps that part within a man/woman that He put there. The soul does not belong to the flesh being. When we deny God He allows that veil to remain in place.

As a parent sometimes you have to let your children make their own decisions even when you know they will not enjoy the experience. You can warn them but that does not mean they will heed that warning. Sometimes no matter how much as parents we would like to step in and make them see for they will not get hurt we still have to stand back and watch. You can hope your children once out on their own will make the right choices but you cannot make their decisions for them. Sometimes it is like taking that beating in order to show who the true bully is.

9. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I am merely saying that my decision was arrived at no differently than yours was.
    I would say that we both used information available to us to arrive at our respective decisions. Just because mine is different than yours makes it no more or less prideful or sinful.
    I am not sure what exactly your chosen god is, but I would ask you, would it make a difference to you if I did believe in a god that was foreign to you? For instance, if were to believe ENKI was my god, would that be less prideful/sinful of me?

I can understand your analogy about parents/children, as mine have left the nest and are out on their own at this time. Yet, while I understand it, I disagree with the premise. I don't see some all powerful god dishing out reward or punishment in his final judgment of my life to be very believable. What I do see is the concept of an all powerful god passing final judgment on people being a means of control. A way to get people to "behave" for lack of a better term. Throughout humankind existence, gods have always been beneficial to societies at large but that doesn't mean god exists. It doesn't mean that everybody needs a god to worship.

10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I would like to discuss more with you about this first sentence that you posted. We can address the rest of the post shortly.

Have I told you or are you aware of events which have occurred in my life which have reinforced my belief in a living God?