Do you think Charlie Chaplin is the most popular actor of all time?

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
I ask because he is still very very famous that others are rather forgotten.
What was so special about him ? for me he had that little something extra. :):badgrin:

hqdefault.jpg

Give your opinion do you agree or for you it is someone else that is more popular

What was so special about him ? for me he had that little something extra. :):badgrin:

hqdefault.jpg

Give your opinion do you agree or for you it is someone else that is more popular

Don Knots... so I disagree.

hqdefault.jpg

The fact that he still ranks as the 25th most popular actor of ALL TIME today as a man who was really an icon of the silent film era says something. I have his 1936 silent film: MODERN TIMES, which he is hilarious in, a must see, a real contrast to what was once an art form to what has become trash of the movies today. Charlie is the poor tramp trying to deal with the changes and ingress of technology and modernization. A true comedy which remains valid as a statement to where man remains today lost in the middle of technological modernization. Made all the more poignant and hilarious when seen in contrast with the technologies of the 1930s.

Last edited:

hqdefault.jpg

The fact that he still ranks as the 25th most popular actor of ALL TIME today as a man who was really an icon of the silent film era says something. I have his 1936 silent film: MODERN TIMES, which he is hilarious in, a must see, a real contrast to what was once an art form to what has become trash of the movies today. Charlie is the poor tramp trying to deal with the changes and ingress of technology and modernization. A true comedy which remains valid as a statement to where man remains today lost in the middle of technological modernization. Made all the more poignant and hilarious when seen in contrast with the technologies of the 1930s.

Yes, this film he wanted to show the risks of modern times and he was also afraid of the speaking film for him it was the end of his career, he still succeeded with the dictator of which it is the first speaking film he was the greatest success commercial of Charlie Chaplin but it's not my favorite of his films
I have the collection especially of the beginning of his career 1914:)

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, this film he wanted to show the risks of modern times and he was also afraid of the speaking film for him it was the end of his career, he still succeeded with the dictator of which it is the first speaking film he was the greatest success commercial of Charlie Chaplin but it's not my favorite of his films

Of course, there is no doubt that "talkies" were inevitable and there is no going back, but the silent era was an art form because it required the actor to engage their audience through expression and actions in a way that modern films do not. Silent films draw the viewer into watching them with a far greater involvement. Turn off the sound of most any modern movie and you'll have no idea what is going on. Not so with a silent film, you can pretty much get the gist of it just from watching the screen.

To this day, my favorite movie and what I consider the best movie EVER made in the history of films is the masterpiece 1927 German Silent film: Metropolis. I have the restored version on DVD. If you've never watched it, especially if you are a sci-fi buff, you will be amazed at the art, the vision, the imagination and the scope.

The acting of Brigitte Helm (Maria) has got to be one of the greatest performances of all time.

hqdefault.jpg

Of course, there is no doubt that "talkies" were inevitable and there is no going back, but the silent era was an art form because it required the actor to engage their audience through expression and actions in a way that modern films do not. Silent films draw the viewer into watching them with a far greater involvement. Turn off the sound of most any modern movie and you'll have no idea what is going on. Not so with a silent film, you can pretty much get the gist of it just from watching the screen.

To this day, my favorite movie and what I consider the best movie EVER made in the history of films is the masterpiece 1927 German Silent film: Metropolis. I have the restored version on DVD. If you've never watched it, especially if you are a sci-fi buff, you will be amazed at the art, the vision, the imagination and the scope.

The acting of Brigitte Helm (Maria) has got to be one of the greatest performances of all time.

toobfreak thank you for sharing the video, i did not know about this movie for the old one i admit i prefer the comedy not to much sci-fi for the old movie but some for that time were pretty well made :) i really like this one that are a little comic :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

toobfreak thank you for sharing the video, i did not know about this movie for the old one i admit i prefer the comedy not to much sci-fi for the old movie but some for that time were pretty well made :) i really like this one that are a little comic :lol:

Yeah, there is no comedy in Metropolis. Metropolis is about as deep, serious, and hard core as it really gets. It's actually very dark and brooding. It's best to watch it on TV with a good stiff drink or the like. I first saw it as a teen when an old Saturday night horror show aired it. It is a direct reflection on our culture, then and today, the conflict and injustice caused by a division of labors. You have the ruling class enjoying the fruits of the labor class who do the toil. The movie really has a beautifully simple message in it in the end: That the mediator between the head (administration, leadership, management) and the hands (labor, production) must be the HEART (compassion, a desire for justice for all). There still exists in our world today 93 years later no such mediator between those two and certainly very little heart. Just imagine the profound impact on this world if finally some day we ever actually took that advice of a movie made 93 years ago!

Of course Hollywood loved Charlie Chaplin.

He was a liberal. a pedophile, and a commie sympathizer.

Basically, the Harvey Weinstein of his day. ... :cool:

Last edited:

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, there is no comedy in Metropolis. Metropolis is about as deep, serious, and hard core as it really gets. It's actually very dark and brooding. It's best to watch it on TV with a good stiff drink or the like. I first saw it as a teen when an old Saturday night horror show aired it. It is a direct reflection on our culture, then and today, the conflict and injustice caused by a division of labors. You have the ruling class enjoying the fruits of the labor class who do the toil. The movie really has a beautifully simple message in it in the end: That the mediator between the head (administration, leadership, management) and the hands (labor, production) must be the HEART (compassion, a desire for justice for all). There still exists in our world today 93 years later no such mediator between those two and certainly very little heart. Just imagine the profound impact on this world if finally some day we ever actually took that advice of a movie made 93 years ago!

But I know that this is not a comedy your favorite film, I said that I preferred the old comedies and I agree even if I have not yet watched Metropolis in full this film better represents the conflict and the injustice caused by a division of labor. and you say: There is still in our world today 93 years later that such a mediator between these two and certainly very little heart. very little heart a lot has been lost and we see it in films today with special effects

Of course Hollywood loved Charlie Chaplin.

He was a liberal. a pedophile, and a commie sympathizer.

Basically, the Harvey Weinstein of his day. ... :cool:

I don't think Charlie Chaplin was very political, and even if he was, maybe he was a liberal?
They are all crazy Democrats in Hollywood except a few Clint Eastwood, James Wood ... maybe others?
If I only watch films with actors who are not democrats, I should as well get rid of my DVD player :badgrin:

I think Buster Keaton was a better comic genius, but Chaplin's tramp character and his movies were well made and sophisticated for his day, having an underlying pathos to them. Many others were as good at times, like Harold Lloyd; many of the old films did not survive, having been worn out from being shown over and over, so we have the irony of most of the surviving silents being the worst ones nobody wanted to see more than once. lol

hqdefault.jpg

I would say that John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart are more popular. People just loved the Duke, along with Bogart, and they are still loved today.

Forum List

Back