Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I figured id create an anonymous poll asking people if they think America has done more good in the world or more evil. I know this cant be scientific but I am just curious how everyone will vote.

trobinett said:
Is this a trick question? :bj2:

GOOD, there are a few others, but American`s generally come down on the side of good. :clap:

Youd be surprised. There are alot of people who won't answer the question directly if they are asked. They make it pretty clear that America is wrong and bad all the time but wont answer a simple question like this. I figured an Anonymous poll might give them a chance say what they really think. No one will know who voted for what. Of course I was expecting it to weigh heavy to the good side just because of the nature of the board.

Youd be surprised. There are alot of people who won't answer the question directly if they are asked. They make it pretty clear that America is wrong and bad all the time but wont answer a simple question like this. I figured an Anonymous poll might give them a chance say what they really think. No one will know who voted for what. Of course I was expecting it to weigh heavy to the good side just because of the nature of the board.

Can a country - an amalgam of people, customs, mores, laws, and traditions - even HAVE a moral identity? Is a badger bad or good? Is a snake good or bad? I believe that otherwise good people can become easily ensnared in dubious enterprise, for example the War of Northern Agression. Slavery notwithstanding, the North was wrong and a force of evil in the world. (Of course the winner gets to re-write the history books.)

Why would a person love their country? Because of the accident of having been born there and raised there? A geographical attachment? Or because of friendship or admiration of their fellow citizens? Because it is a GOOD country and not an evil one? See below...

Superfluous Man said:
I believe that otherwise good people can become easily ensnared in dubious enterprise, for example the War of Northern Agression. Slavery notwithstanding, the North was wrong and a force of evil in the world. (Of course the winner gets to re-write the history books.)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I will only say that while the Southern states were morally wrong to want to continue slavery, they were legally within their rights to secede. However, Lincoln did not begin the war to stop slavery; he invaded the South because the North stood to lose loads of tariff money.

Superfluous Man said:
Can a country - an amalgam of people, customs, mores, laws, and traditions - even HAVE a moral identity? Is a badger bad or good? Is a snake good or bad? I believe that otherwise good people can become easily ensnared in dubious enterprise, for example the War of Northern Agression. Slavery notwithstanding, the North was wrong and a force of evil in the world. (Of course the winner gets to re-write the history books.)

Why would a person love their country? Because of the accident of having been born there and raised there? A geographical attachment? Or because of friendship or admiration of their fellow citizens? Because it is a GOOD country and not an evil one? See below...

Maybe that is our problem.

Too much thought and controversy; not enough National Pride.

I don't really give a rat's ass if someone thinks the U.S. stinks. I am proud to be an American because I was born here. Plain and simple.

Have we made mistakes? Sure. Does that make me any less proud to be an American or any less an American?

Not a single bit.

Yes, America is good. If something should happen to America and it was suddenly removed from the world stage, other countries would realize what a force for good America had been in the world. However, I think that need not happen for them to know that America is a force for good in the world. All they need to do is compare America's history with the history of their own country or other countries.

This is a trick question. If we examine this at the current point, I'd be slightly inclined to say "No" because of things like abortion, war, wiretaps, etc. However, on a whole with all of our history thrown in, I'd be heavily inclined to say "Yes, we are good."

So, I'm stating no opinion.

I figured id create an anonymous poll asking people if they think America has done more good in the world or more evil. I know this cant be scientific but I am just curious how everyone will vote.

I voted for good even though I dont think it is good, I think it is great.

As for the south seceding, Im not so sure that was legal and all. And if the northern states had allowed it, then others probably would have followed until there was no US left. But when they agreed to become a part of the USA, there are certain obligations to meet.

There is one simple test to determine the quality of the American culture/county. Oh, and by the way, animals dont make moral decisions, hence you cant compare them to people. But the way to determine it is by the fact that so many people worldwide want to come here, in fact, risk and sometimes lose their lives getting here. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

Kagom said:
This is a trick question. If we examine this at the current point, I'd be slightly inclined to say "No" because of things like abortion, war, wiretaps, etc. However, on a whole with all of our history thrown in, I'd be heavily inclined to say "Yes, we are good."

So, I'm stating no opinion.

Abortion is something heavily debated in this country and I don't think it will stand the test of time. The fact that there are ways to overturn it is something that makes this country great.

War isn't evil so much as it's bad, and, in the case of America, a side effect of being the biggest kid on a very angry, aggressive block. If you truly think that war is inherantly evil, I know some Iraqis and a few Auschwitz and Dachau survivors who say differently.

The wiretaps are there to spy on foreign agents and find out what they're planning. The fourth ammendment (another GREAT thing about this country) protects those on the U.S. side from prosecution unless the NSA gets a warrant.

America is the best thing to happen to this planet since Jesus ascended, and I'll argue to the death anyone who says otherwise.

America has mostly been a force for good. No denying it.

America is not perfect, it has made, and will continue to make mistakes. However it has remained a force of good.

Forum List

Back