Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

• Total voters
My opinion is short & sweet.. while it may be a legitimate problem in some cases, it's far too over-diagnosed. It's a lazy parents answer to everything.. It's a doctors answer when he/she doesn't know what else to say, and in some adults, it's an excuse. I'd be willing to bet that the actual cases vs. automatically diagnosed cases is something like 1:1000.

Shattered said:
My opinion is short & sweet.. while it may be a legitimate problem in some cases, it's far too over-diagnosed. It's a lazy parents answer to everything.. It's a doctors answer when he/she doesn't know what else to say, and in some adults, it's an excuse. I'd be willing to bet that the actual cases vs. automatically diagnosed cases is something like 1:1000.

I'd agree with that.

Shattered said:

totally true.
i refuse to take meds because i feel that's the easy way out for me.
i just have learned to alter my thinking and relax when i don't understand something.

I know it's a real condition because I've seen it in action. Some people are just incapable of focusing on anything for any amount of time. I've been told it's like trying to watch tv when someone else has the remote and loves channel surfing. I have a mild case, caused by a mildly overactive thyroid (overabundance of energy). Basically, I just made sure I was always fidgeting with something. I'd do 2-5 things at once to keep my attention from being sidetracked.

Hobbit said:
I know it's a real condition because I've seen it in action. Some people are just incapable of focusing on anything for any amount of time. I've been told it's like trying to watch tv when someone else has the remote and loves channel surfing. I have a mild case, caused by a mildly overactive thyroid (overabundance of energy). Basically, I just made sure I was always fidgeting with something. I'd do 2-5 things at once to keep my attention from being sidetracked.

Exactly, one of the real 'signposts' is the ability to focus on 2 or more things at the same time, yet not really dealing with any. Heard a neurologist say it may be a 'time marker' of some evolutionary development. Much more 'overlap' than normal. Would sort of explain the more rapid/staccato firing of synapsis also?

Kathianne said:
Exactly, one of the real 'signposts' is the ability to focus on 2 or more things at the same time, yet not really dealing with any. Heard a neurologist say it may be a 'time marker' of some evolutionary development. Much more 'overlap' than normal. Would sort of explain the more rapid/staccato firing of synapsis also?

Yeah, milder cases of the disorder can be handled with discipline. Right now, I'm listening to music, typing this, and fidgeting with a coke bottle around my feet. If I stop doing any one of these, my mind starts to wander.

Forum List

Back