Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

• Total voters

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Personally, I don't think it is, but think the behavior is caused by boredom which in turn is caused by too much stimulation of kids these days...

They go from video games and TV to boredom and therefore are not required to use their own imagination to go out and do things..

Additionally, in-class adhd-like behavior - I think - comes from having a boring-ass teacher..

Yes, but it's over diagnosed. You're both right for the vast majority of kids. For those where it's real, there are signs from the get go.

I used to teach martial arts, and I had a kid who was diagnosed with ADD.
Even took meds, but within 3 months of "tough love" and a little focus
training he was off the meds and on the honor role. I'm a firm believer in
discipline in this matter.

one of my biggest concerns with the 'illness' - it's treated only for symptoms...there's no medical evidence of something being different. Also, there's no indication somebody HAS the problem, yet is asymptomatic.

:(

-=d=- said:
one of my biggest concerns with the 'illness' - it's treated only for symptoms...there's no medical evidence of something being different. Also, there's no indication somebody HAS the problem, yet is asymptomatic.

Actually there are differences on EEG. Has to do with the firing of synapses.

-=d=- said:

So would you say it's more of a "behavior"?
Not pickin, just curious cause I think so.

Kathianne said:
Actually there are differences on EEG. Has to do with the firing of synapses.

I've seen real cases, and there is a HUGE difference in thought patterns, behavior and many other things. I've seen the kids who need a kick in the ass too, usually all it takes with them. I think under stimpulation is a problem too, kids parked in front of a tv from birth until school tends to cause a delay in certain areas of brain function.

So are we saying chemical inbalance here???
Lack of necessary (for lack of a better word) brain usage at an early age???
Poor parenting???

Had to vote not enough science instead of NO. Because for some, there may be a problem there, but I don't think it's what we are lead to believe by the drug companies, schools and frustrated parents.

-=d=- said:
I simply don't buy it. Thining happy thoughts can change an eeg. :) And thinking bad thoughts, too.
So what would you say is the cause of this "behavioral" problem.
I'm really not against you on this issue (in fact I agree with you),
just curious.

I'm just confused with the "disorder" myself.
I can understand a chemical inbalance, but I think it could have been
caused by not challenging the child at an early age. It all kinda leads to
bad parenting to me, of course I am a not educated enough to prove it.
JMHO.

I don't believe it is a disorder - I do think, however, that it's a great way for pharmacutical companies to keep raking in the cash..

JOKER96BRAVO said:
So what would you say is the cause of this "behavioral" problem.
I'm really not against you on this issue (in fact I agree with you),
just curious.

When kids are pacificied instead of beaten-er...I mean 'corrected' they get it in their heads that being or feeling happy anytime they choose is their 'right'.

Hence...they don't control their impulses.

-Cp said:
I don't believe it is a disorder - I do think, however, that it's a great way for pharmacutical companies to keep raking in the cash..

Disorder or not, who's to say what happened to cause a developmental delay - if there is one. Medicating kids is sick.

Forum List

Back