Do You Think 00 Agents Actually Exist?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
What do you think the likelihood is of people like James Bond existing in the shadows? I'm not talking about serial womanisers crashing through windows in tuxedos, but more along the lines of secret agents who possess similiar skill sets and are sanctioned to shed blood - on whatever scale - by their respective governments.

It's clear that some governments/militaries have the ability to train people to become killing machines, and could quite possibly wage a guerilla war against another country all by themselves i.e. - members of the SAS and Delta Force. But what do you think the realistic chances are that they're retained on a basis similar to James Bond, in that they're "loan wolves" retained on a contractual basis, in that they're employees of the state; not contractors?

Personally speaking, I think that they do exist in some sense of the label. But they don't enjoy anywhere near the kind of resources and lifestyle James Bond does.

PS. I know that this might fall within the definition of a conspiracy theory, but I listened to a radio show last night where the guest (a former government minister) revealed that a clear an present threat would be posed if a member of the SAS turned or went rogue. I was inclined to agree with him, seeing as their trade, as it were, involves familiarising themselves with most of what our governments would rather we weren't familiar with.

Yes. Here's one now...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8Q4LfCoH0]The Beverly Hillbillies Season 3, Episode 21 "Double Naught Jethro" - YouTube[/ame]

I think there is....no reason to think otherwise. I think there's a lot out there that we know nothing about, you know how good our govt is at hiding things :).

James Bond is far too skilled in too many areas for anyone to realistically emulate. :tongue:

Do I think government intelligence agencies have wetworks operatives? Sure. And ex-special forces members certainly seem like the kind of people they would try to recruit.

James Bond type agents? No, the skill set doesn't exist. The CIA is populated by analysts, however, when "wet work" needs to be done they have a little group they call on to get it done. Made up of former military personnel and recruited as needed.

During the Vietnam War they had an efficient method of "sheep dipping" the people they needed to get them out of the military and into the region they needed.

What do you think the likelihood is of people like James Bond existing in the shadows? I'm not talking about serial womanisers crashing through windows in tuxedos, but more along the lines of secret agents who possess similiar skill sets and are sanctioned to shed blood - on whatever scale - by their respective governments.

It's clear that some governments/militaries have the ability to train people to become killing machines, and could quite possibly wage a guerilla war against another country all by themselves i.e. - members of the SAS and Delta Force. But what do you think the realistic chances are that they're retained on a basis similar to James Bond, in that they're "loan wolves" retained on a contractual basis, in that they're employees of the state; not contractors?

Personally speaking, I think that they do exist in some sense of the label. But they don't enjoy anywhere near the kind of resources and lifestyle James Bond does.

PS. I know that this might fall within the definition of a conspiracy theory, but I listened to a radio show last night where the guest (a former government minister) revealed that a clear an present threat would be posed if a member of the SAS turned or went rogue. I was inclined to agree with him, seeing as their trade, as it were, involves familiarising themselves with most of what our governments would rather we weren't familiar with.

They absolutely do exist..and you are correct..they don't live a "Bondian" life style.

Here's the other trick..they generally look absolutely "normal".

James Bond type agents? No, the skill set doesn't exist. The CIA is populated by analysts, however, when "wet work" needs to be done they have a little group they call on to get it done. Made up of former military personnel and recruited as needed.

During the Vietnam War they had an efficient method of "sheep dipping" the people they needed to get them out of the military and into the region they needed.

Not necessarily.

Some are nerdy looking psychopaths..that would otherwise be serial killers.

Forum List

Back