Do you take any Anti-Anxiety Drugs?

USMB is my anti-anxiety drug.

The Warmers, the poseurs and Progressives make me laugh more than this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMLWhXQA_4[/ame]

Booze, which by the end of the night usually ends up giving me real reasons to feel anxiety.

I am going back to Zen meditation just as soon as bee season ends, a bee in the nose is enlightenment taken too far.

Considered taking drugs, but I feel its better to get through things yourself on your own steam. I have low days when something really bad happens like I fail a test, lose a mobile phone, are unsure about my future prospects in life, when an article or thing someone says makes me upset, or when I am low on money because of a big purchase.

This thread really relaxed me..

I take anti-depressants. They have made a huge difference in my life for the better and I am thankful for that. I have been diagnosed with "major depression - recurrent." My childhood was nothing but a war zone and I had a terribly poor excuse of a mother. "Depression" never entered my mind - it was "normal" for me.

When I had a breakdown some years ago - it was major. My personality split (what used to be called "Multiple Personality Disorder" is now called "Dissociate Personality Disorder.") I would not wish that experience on anyone - believe me when I say these "multiple personality" persons on talk shows, etc. are a joke. That "break" was ultimately the best thing that ever happened to me.

I "knew" it when it happened - and God knows my cat knew something was up - her hair stood on end and she ran like hell away from me for a week or so. The idea is that you and your doctor try to "merge" the two. I had a terribly depressed "person" on the one side and a happy, hopeful, sunny "person" on the other. I wasn't about to "merge" anything. I told my doctor to forget about it and work on the new sunny person - I felt it was who I might have been if I had had different circumstances. So that's what we worked on.

I take Celexa, Welbutrin (generics) and Trazodone. They are non-addictive and they keep me from going into deep depression. I sometimes get a little "down" but not into major depression. Celexa is one drug you don't want to go without for many days - when you start taking it again you will get sick as a dog - heaving, puking, heaving beyond the "dry heaves" - not pretty.

I've always been a "non-drug" person - have never tried marijuana or any other illegal drug - but I am thankful as hell to have my anti-depressants.

Wow, thanks for sharing Granny!

I'm so glad you got the help you needed. Sometimes meds do help people, like in your situation.

But, I feel sometimes others use it as a crutch to avoid 'real life' issues, instead of dealing wtih them, they just take a 'happy pill' or such.

There are no "happy pills" that are anti depressants. Obviously some of the hard drugs might make you high and think you are happy but those aren't prescribed for depression.

What the hell are you talking about? I never said pills make me happy nor do I use any kind of drugs that would make me high or supposedly "happy."

Last edited:
How does alcohol lessen one's morals...that's the stupidest thing I ever heard. By your logic, the anti-depressants you take lessen your morals.

:cuckoo:

It is a proven fact alcohol lowers ones inhibitions makes them do things they normally would not. As in compromise morals. You are beyond fucking stupid.
Your morals don't change.

Yeah alcohol definitely does decrease inhibitions, Ravi.

You morals might not change but your superego gets the crap knocked out of it.

That is actually the first part of the changes one goes though when one is doing alcohol.

Done in moderation I think that alcohol might be a useful drug precisely because some of us have overactive superegos.

Done to excess, of course, we all know how people mess up when blitzed.

That's no excuse for these bad behaviors, of course, but that is the explanation for why people do things when drunk that they normally would not do when sober.

I took antidepressants when I was truly dangerously ill, and I suspect that they probably saved my and even more likely, other people's lives.

Don't take 'em now, though.

I seem to have gone past that chronic depression phase of my life and moved into a chronic state of ennui.

I'd go into greater detail except I fear that chronic ennui is contagious.

I suspect for example that my lack of zest for life is slowly boring my dog to death.

Last edited:

Yes.

A couple of good slugs of single malt really takes the edge off, man.

306.jpg

If so, why? Do you feel "addicted" to them, like you can't cope with real life without them?

I'm just wondering, it seems a lot of people I know take some sort of drug like this, and I'm wondering why, and how addictive they become. Do you take them for the rest of your life then, instead of coping with things in your own way?

Anti-anxiety drugs and abuse - causes, DSM, functioning, effects, therapy, adults, withdrawal, drug, people, used, medication, brain, effect, women, health, mood, Definition, Description

The bigger question is - "Are you the reason someone else is on anti-anxiety meds"? :eusa_whistle:

Yes.

A couple of good slugs of single malt really takes the edge off, man.

306.jpg

I like blended scotch.

Though, liquor and benzos both work the exact same way to medicate anxiety.

It's why so many veterans with PTSD are self medicating with booze.

Of course, neither alcohol or benzos are a good long term management strategy for anxiety.

No. I believe that leading a reasonably healthy, moderate lifestyle and getting regular exercise is much better than using drugs.

Several years ago, during a period of horrible trauma in my life, I used an anti-anxiety drug for a few months. The relief was temporary at best. The real cure was dealing with the situation. Once I realized that all the drug was doing was making me not care very much, I weened off of it and focused on the healthy lifestyle method.

Yes. I agree.
About a year ago I too was on some medication for depression. I hated it. Then again, I hate taking any drug regardless of what it is. Anywho, I was experiencing 'tremors' as a side effect. I did not feel as if the medication was doing anything for me, so I weened myself off.

Since then, I have focused on diet and exercise and the power of affirmations and positive thought. All of which did more good than the antidepressant I was on.

I do have a prescription for Ativan which I used to take often back when I thought I needed it. Now I may pop one on the weekend to help me sleep past the time I usually wake up during the work week.

Forum List

Back