Do you take any Anti-Anxiety Drugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by random3434, Dec 18, 2010.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    If so, why? Do you feel "addicted" to them, like you can't cope with real life without them?

I'm just wondering, it seems a lot of people I know take some sort of drug like this, and I'm wondering why, and how addictive they become. Do you take them for the rest of your life then, instead of coping with things in your own way?

Anti-anxiety drugs and abuse - causes, DSM, functioning, effects, therapy, adults, withdrawal, drug, people, used, medication, brain, effect, women, health, mood, Definition, Description

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    I don't take anti-anxiety drugs because of any anxiety issues silly. I take them because they taste good.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    my mother takes an anti depressant/anxiety drug and she says she takes them, because my father, (who really needs them), does not! :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Nope.

5. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Nope ive never taken them.

But after a few hours of this place maybe i should, along with some of you too!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,518
    Several friends and family members use melatonin for "soothing the edge" or Welbutrin. Two of them who are taking the latter the last few years are much, much more in touch with reality and much less emotionally touchy.

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Benzodiazepines are quite addictive. The have a significant effect on one's memory, as well. And, after long term use, it is not sure if the effect on memory is reversible.

For anyone who values their mind, temporary use would be called for, if one has no addictive tendencies, that is. Otherwise, there are non-addictive medication options of dealing with anxiety, one just has to wait a bit for the effects to take place.

For an acute attacks, sure. Use benzodiazepines. For longterm use, no way.

8. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I used to take xanax occasionally a few years back. I used it once or twice a week, or less, in order to be able to relax enough to watch a movie with my kids, since I was wound so tight and constantly starting projects on my off time from work. I also used it if I had to go into a large crowd, such as going to a school concert, since I don't like large groups of people around me.

I used up one bottle, but never renewed it. It made me sleepy, and sometimes I would fall asleep in the middle of the movie. I changed some things in my life to reduce my anxiety. I changed how I handled going into crowds. I changed a stressful job situation and I'm in a better job situation now.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    Those are used mostly for Depression. Well Melatonin actually helps you sleep or regulate your sleep cycle. I took Wellbutrin for a year until it quit helping me.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    I take an anti depressant ( Celexia) 60 mgs, every day ( or rather when I dont forget). If I forget to take it for more then one day it has a very noticeable withdrawal symptom.

I take an anti psychotic ( Geodon) 160 mgs, every day also.

Neither are addictive but do have withdrawal symptoms if you quit cold turkey.

Neither are used just for anxiety so probably not much help to Ops question.

Most anti depressants and such are listed as temporary. They are to help you get through a tough time while other treatment helps you over come the underlying problem.

The problem is twofold. One is simply that some people have a chronic incurable problem and that will require some kind of medication and or therapy most of the rest of their life. The second tougher problem is Psychiatric care givers are getting lazier and lazier. For some it is easier to prescribe med and never try to fix the fixable problem.

Having said that anxiety attacks are REAL and they can be dangerous. They increase blood pressure and can cause other medical problems.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3