Do you take any Anti-Anxiety Drugs?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
If so, why? Do you feel "addicted" to them, like you can't cope with real life without them?

I'm just wondering, it seems a lot of people I know take some sort of drug like this, and I'm wondering why, and how addictive they become. Do you take them for the rest of your life then, instead of coping with things in your own way?

Anti-anxiety drugs and abuse - causes, DSM, functioning, effects, therapy, adults, withdrawal, drug, people, used, medication, brain, effect, women, health, mood, Definition, Description

Nope ive never taken them.

But after a few hours of this place maybe i should, along with some of you too!

laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif

Several friends and family members use melatonin for "soothing the edge" or Welbutrin. Two of them who are taking the latter the last few years are much, much more in touch with reality and much less emotionally touchy.

Benzodiazepines are quite addictive. The have a significant effect on one's memory, as well. And, after long term use, it is not sure if the effect on memory is reversible.

For anyone who values their mind, temporary use would be called for, if one has no addictive tendencies, that is. Otherwise, there are non-addictive medication options of dealing with anxiety, one just has to wait a bit for the effects to take place.

For an acute attacks, sure. Use benzodiazepines. For longterm use, no way.

I used to take xanax occasionally a few years back. I used it once or twice a week, or less, in order to be able to relax enough to watch a movie with my kids, since I was wound so tight and constantly starting projects on my off time from work. I also used it if I had to go into a large crowd, such as going to a school concert, since I don't like large groups of people around me.

I used up one bottle, but never renewed it. It made me sleepy, and sometimes I would fall asleep in the middle of the movie. I changed some things in my life to reduce my anxiety. I changed how I handled going into crowds. I changed a stressful job situation and I'm in a better job situation now.

Several friends and family members use melatonin for "soothing the edge" or Welbutrin. Two of them who are taking the latter the last few years are much, much more in touch with reality and much less emotionally touchy.

Those are used mostly for Depression. Well Melatonin actually helps you sleep or regulate your sleep cycle. I took Wellbutrin for a year until it quit helping me.

I take an anti depressant ( Celexia) 60 mgs, every day ( or rather when I dont forget). If I forget to take it for more then one day it has a very noticeable withdrawal symptom.

I take an anti psychotic ( Geodon) 160 mgs, every day also.

Neither are addictive but do have withdrawal symptoms if you quit cold turkey.

Neither are used just for anxiety so probably not much help to Ops question.

Most anti depressants and such are listed as temporary. They are to help you get through a tough time while other treatment helps you over come the underlying problem.

The problem is twofold. One is simply that some people have a chronic incurable problem and that will require some kind of medication and or therapy most of the rest of their life. The second tougher problem is Psychiatric care givers are getting lazier and lazier. For some it is easier to prescribe med and never try to fix the fixable problem.

Having said that anxiety attacks are REAL and they can be dangerous. They increase blood pressure and can cause other medical problems.

No. I believe that leading a reasonably healthy, moderate lifestyle and getting regular exercise is much better than using drugs.

Several years ago, during a period of horrible trauma in my life, I used an anti-anxiety drug for a few months. The relief was temporary at best. The real cure was dealing with the situation. Once I realized that all the drug was doing was making me not care very much, I weened off of it and focused on the healthy lifestyle method.

In my party days I took xanax to ease the come down from coke.

I know people who just abuse xanax straight, and I don't get it. The shit knocks me out cold.

In my party days I took xanax to ease the come down from coke.

I know people who just abuse xanax straight, and I don't get it. The shit knocks me out cold.

I have 80 year old women who can function while taking Xanax and other same type of meds. I have no idea how they do it. :lol:

Doctor prescribed me Flexeril a few years ago for severe back pain. (not anti-depressant, but whatever).

I took a pill once....then half a pill a couple of months later....and I think another half a pill last year. I still have this big bottle with them in it. Shit just makes me feel loopy. It might just be psychosomatic, since I don't know how strong the drug is.

I just don't do pills well. The only pills I take are usually ibuprofen when the pain gets too bad.

I just take straight BEER. That usually works.

Took the words right out of my mouth Willow.

Hops 10g and Barley 20g.

Alcohol is a DEPRESSANT. It does not help but rather hurts with depression. Now maybe it helps with anxiety though as it lessons ones personal morals and such.
How does alcohol lessen one's morals...that's the stupidest thing I ever heard. By your logic, the anti-depressants you take lessen your morals.

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back