Do you support the presidents proposed universal background check for firearms?

Do you support universal background checks for firearm purchases?

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Absolutely.

I think that Americans should be able to have firearms for home and business protection.

I do not think that crazies, drug abusers, terrorists, criminals (Ex-Felons or otherwise), wife/husband abusers and violent individuals should have access to guns.

Sallow, I absolutely agree with you. But, we will NEVER keep the "bad guys" from getting guns, just like this country could not keep people from getting booze during Prohibition, and just like we can't keep drunk people from driving their cars and endangering the lives of innocent people.

There will always be mentally ill people, and violent people, and sociopaths, and psychopaths, and terrorists, and drug abusers and traffickers, and other assorted criminals, who will always find a way to use the "tools" of their trades.

Baseball bats, knives, ropes, arson, physical violence..............the list of different ways to injure and kill people is endless, WITHOUT the use of firearms.

To trample on the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens, as a knee-jerk reaction to a few sociopaths and psychopaths who are involved in mass murders, is not the answer.

There is NEVER a clear-cut, "one size fits all" answer to ANYTHING in the society we live in.

Sounds OK to me, but this law is not going to stop gun sales between two criminals, which is a loophole that will NEVER be closed.

Agreed on that. The best we can do is keep guns away from wanna-be criminals and those who are convicted, yet try to buy from private citizens.

All it takes is a middleman for a criminal to complete such a transaction. It's one of those thought lines where you're expecting criminals to be deterred from acquiring objects they lawfully can not have by following a law.

It's the same stupid line of thinking as you can have a 10 round mag, but can legally only put 7 bullets in it. :rolleyes:

It's costly to everyone and doesn't really stop anything. Considering most gun related crimes happen with illegal weapons.

It could help deter crimes of passion from reformed felons. And it will make aquiring guns more difficult for some people who really shouldn't have them anyways. All for a little legwork. Seems like a fair trade to me.

It's one of the few good things that have come from the President as of late.
We don't need gun control, we need to keep the guns from falling into the wrong hands. A universal background check will do good.

The president always brings fair, common sense approaches to the issues. The problem is the right wing propaganda machine spreads nothing but outright lies and distortions to keep their sheep brainwashed.

Poll to follow but please feel free to elaborate on your position.

Myself I do but I don't know how you impliment it. Trying to make private citizens law enforcement officers seems a bit unfair.

There already IS a background check!
The National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, is all about saving lives and protecting people from harm—by not letting guns and explosives fall into the wrong hands. It also ensures the timely transfer of firearms to eligible gun buyers.

Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS is used by Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to instantly determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to buy firearms or explosives. Before ringing up the sale, cashiers call in a check to the FBI or to other designated agencies to ensure that each customer does not have a criminal record or isn’t otherwise ineligible to make a purchase. More than 100 million such checks have been made in the last decade, leading to more than 700,000 denials.

NICS is located at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia. It provides full service to FFLs in 30 states, five U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia. Upon completion of the required Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Form 4473, FFLs contact the NICS Section via a toll-free telephone number or electronically on the Internet through the NICS E-Check System to request a background check with the descriptive information provided on the ATF Form 4473. NICS is customarily available 17 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays (except for Christmas).

FBI ? Gun Checks/NICS

Oh just a comment... doesn't your web browser when you misspell a word like "impliment" have a litte red dotted line "............"under the word indicating it is misspelled? I mean I'm just trying to add clarity to ALL our understanding as it is the devil in the details, i.e. like the MASSIVE Obamacare that was so important to rush through that much of it is useless and assisting in destroying health care as we know it! And while misspelled words may not be important to many people, it is this attention to details that in some extremely rare cases cost lives! While your contributions may never reach that level, what it does to anal retentive people like me is to discount your contributions as they indicate to me someone careless with information and facts and therefore not as credible i.e. look at our current VP's faux pas!!!

Speaking at the Iowa State Society inauguration ball, the Vice President said, "I'm proud to be President of the United States" (video follows with transcribed highlights and commentary):

Read more: Biden: 'I'm Proud To Be President' | NewsBusters

Last edited:
Poll to follow but please feel free to elaborate on your position.

Myself I do but I don't know how you impliment it. Trying to make private citizens law enforcement officers seems a bit unfair.

I don’t see FFL’s doing background checks for private sales, they do the background check as a condition of doing business when selling from their own inventory, as some FFL’s refuse to do background checks for online/mail order sales, for example.

Also problematic is Treasury setting up facilities in states where private gun sellers/buyers must go to have the background check done, there are now 20 states who have declined to be the point of contact for the database check. Would the 30 states that currently serve as a point of contact be require to set up state offices to do the checks? States can not be compelled to use their own officers and resources to execute Federal law, that would mean Treasury might be required to create background check sites in all 50 states.

Would it be feasible for private citizens to be designated and authorized to have access to the NICS database? Would they be allowed to charge a fee? Would they run the background check from their private homes? How could such a check be made secure? And what might be the civil and/or criminal liabilities?

However you look at it, the mechanics of a universal background check just don’t come together.

Absolutely.
I do not think that crazies, drug abusers, terrorists, criminals (Ex-Felons or otherwise), wife/husband abusers and violent individuals should have access to guns.

When they do gain access what do you think should happen to them ?

As a felon if I get caught with one its an automatic 5 years in prison

It’s 10 years at least, Gramps:

I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED PERSON:

18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony.

Felon - (Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving firearms.);

[Also jail time for those who sell a gun to a felon:]

1 8 USC § 922(d). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/psn/documents/guncard.pdf

And there could be state laws on top of Federal laws.

It's one of the few good things that have come from the President as of late.
We don't need gun control, we need to keep the guns from falling into the wrong hands. A universal background check will do good.
So, criminals, who by their nature do not obey the law, will comply with universal background check laws when they sell weapons.

Really?

What is the difference between the background checks we have now, vs what the president wants?

The orders the president signed will give additional funds to states to report mental health reports to the background check system which few do now, end the "gun show loophole" by requiring a background check on all gun sales, and persecute people that deliberately lie on the background checks are just a few.
VP: We 'don't have the time' to charge background check lies | The Daily Caller
In 2010, prosecutors considered just 22 cases of information falsification, according to a 2012 report to the Department of Justice by the Regional Justice Information Service. Forty additional background-check cases ended up before prosecutors for reasons related to unlawful gun possession.

In all, prosecutors pursued just 44 of those 62 cases. More than 72,600 applications were denied on the basis of a background check.​

So, we don't have time to prosecute those who lie on background checks...so the obvious answer is to require MORE background checks.

Makes perfect sense.

When they do gain access what do you think should happen to them ?

18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony.

Felon - (Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving firearms.);

I'm just going off what I was told 20+ years ago when I was granted parole. It may very well have changed

I'm just going off what I was told 20+ years ago when I was granted parole. It may very well have changed

You are correct Grandpa. An ex-felon with a gun is a serious federal crime punishable with up to 10 years in the Federal penitentiary.

If there is anything that will save a child from being shot, yes, I support it.

I also feel differently about armed quards at schools, than I originally did. I don't think they should be inside the school, but armed guards in the vicinity of a school could save lives. Which is more important? A copy out on a road trying to catch speeders, or an armed cop outside a school making sure we don't have a repeat of Newtown. I think we will see more schools moving in that direction.

What is the difference between the background checks we have now, vs what the president wants?

The orders the president signed will give additional funds to states to report mental health reports to the background check system which few do now, end the "gun show loophole" by requiring a background check on all gun sales, and persecute people that deliberately lie on the background checks are just a few.
In 2010, prosecutors considered just 22 cases of information falsification, according to a 2012 report to the Department of Justice by the Regional Justice Information Service. Forty additional background-check cases ended up before prosecutors for reasons related to unlawful gun possession.

In all, prosecutors pursued just 44 of those 62 cases. More than 72,600 applications were denied on the basis of a background check.​

So, we don't have time to prosecute those who lie on background checks...so the obvious answer is to require MORE background checks.

Makes perfect sense.

Try reading your own link. Biden says we don't have the manpower to prosecute all people that lie on firearms applications as many are made in error by dumbasses checking the wrong box.

You can bet if some ex con fresh out of the penn with felony violence charges files a fake application, they will have the feds knocking at their down.

You are correct Grandpa. An ex-felon with a gun is a serious federal crime punishable with up to 10 years in the Federal penitentiary.
Unlike most I changed all my old habbits and dumped nearly all my friends. Many of whom owned guns. NOTHING short of saving my children was worth a trip back. I never understood why most people don't change and just end up going back. I had friends in prison who got parole and ended up back before I left.
Just unbelieveable

Makes perfect sense.

Try reading your own link. Biden says we don't have the manpower to prosecute all people that lie on firearms applications as many are made in error by dumbasses checking the wrong box.

You can bet if some ex con fresh out of the penn with felony violence charges files a fake application, they will have the feds knocking at their down.
YOU might want to read the link. 44 prosecutions out of 72,600 applications.

Hmm, I like the idea of background checks for all gun sales. However, I'm wondering how much of an added burden that would be for private citizens trying to sell a firearm.

That's the information I'm waiting for as well. It depends on how they intend to implement it before I could say whether or not I support it.

Absolutely.

I think that Americans should be able to have firearms for home and business protection.

They always will regardless of what laws we implement.

Forum List

Back