Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

• Total voters
What the fuck is the gun show loophole? Every licensed dealer is required to run a background check every time they sell a gun. That applies even at gun shows, which means the only loophole that exists is in your imagination.

You are correct. The same law applies to gun shows as applies everywhere else: dealers must run background checks and private sellers do not. Those people who can legally sell their gun to another party without doing a background check go to gun shows because they know potential buyers will be there. If private sales were no longer allowed at gun shows, sellers would simply advertise in the newspaper. Either way, a background check is not required.

At any rate, there is no such thing as the so-called "gun show loophole." If the issue is about background checks, perhaps those who favor stronger gun control should call it "private gun sellers loophole." I could live with that. At least it would make sense.

Like stated in the first post, the "gun show loophole" refferes to the private sale of guns.

Gun shows were started as, and at their core are for the sale of firearms by private sellers, but many "legitimate" sellers AKA firearm stores set up booths at these shows as well.

It's a very simple question that this thread is asking is that should there be background checks for all people that want to own a firearm, or should we leave the laws how they are so crooks, felons, and those out to commit crimes are able to obtain firearms with no questions asked under this loophole.

Gun shows, like all trade shows, are places where dealers go to see what is available from manufacturers. If the word actually worked the way it did in your imagination MacWorld would be filled to the brim with individuals selling Apple products, and Apple would use press conferences to announce new products.

A spin off of the other thread where I have asked numerous times and not a single right winger has answered, is if you support the gun show loophole.

For those that may not know, under current federal law if you wish to purchases a firearm, you have to be run in a background check to make sure you are not a felon, been convicted of a violent crime, been in a mental institution, etc,..before they give the go ahead to sell that person a weapon. However under the "gun show loophole", there are not background checks at all.

That's right, absoutly nothing. A violent thug fresh out of the penitentiary, a terrorist, or a nutcases ready to commit the next sandy hook could go down to their local gun show, or find a classified ad selling a firearm and they could purchase deadly weapons, with no questions asked.

For the slow and stupid..... All licensed dealers MUST conduct the background check even at a Gun Show. The only exception is a private citizen selling his own firearms. A booth costs 150 or more, exactly how many private citizens have the weapons to make selling them at that booth profitable?

There must be hundreds, since he insists that gun shows are mostly private citizens selling guns.

Sooo, righties are now spinning that the "gun show loophole" doesn't really exist...?

Google "gun show loophole"...

I can Google all sorts of things that don't exist.

Case in point.

Believe it or not, Google is not the final arbiter of truth, and you can put things on the Internet that are not true.

Are you really the blonde in this commercial?

Last edited by a moderator:
A spin off of the other thread where I have asked numerous times and not a single right winger has answered, is if you support the gun show loophole.

For those that may not know, under current federal law if you wish to purchases a firearm, you have to be run in a background check to make sure you are not a felon, been convicted of a violent crime, been in a mental institution, etc,..before they give the go ahead to sell that person a weapon. However under the "gun show loophole", there are not background checks at all.

That's right, absoutly nothing. A violent thug fresh out of the penitentiary, a terrorist, or a nutcases ready to commit the next sandy hook could go down to their local gun show, or find a classified ad selling a firearm and they could purchase deadly weapons, with no questions asked.

For the slow and stupid..... All licensed dealers MUST conduct the background check even at a Gun Show. The only exception is a private citizen selling his own firearms. A booth costs 150 or more, exactly how many private citizens have the weapons to make selling them at that booth profitable?

There must be hundreds, since he insists that gun shows are mostly private citizens selling guns.

Impressive trolling
jack.gif
but let's get back on topic.

It's about the most simple question to be asked. Do you support the "gun show loophole" that allows people to acquire a firearm with no background check? Yes or no.

If you buy a gun from ANYONE, you should be required to undergo a background check.

I mean.................you have to liscence your car to run it on the roads, right?

You don't have to license it if you don't run it on the road. That means, using your own logic, that anyone who does not intend to use their guns on public roads should not be required to have a background check.

I can live with that.

Unfortunately, current federal law requires criminal background checks only for guns sold through licensed firearm dealers, which account for just 60% of all gun sales in the United States. A loophole in the law allows individuals not “engaged in the business” of selling firearms to sell guns without a license—and without processing any paperwork. That means that two out of every five guns sold in the United States change hands without a background check.

Though commonly referred to as the “Gun Show Loophole,” the “private sales” described above include guns sold at gun shows, through classified newspaper ads, the Internet, and between individuals virtually anywhere.

Unfortunately, only six states (CA, CO, IL, NY, OR, RI) require universal background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows. Three more states (CT, MD, PA) require background checks on all handgun sales made at gun shows. Seven other states (HI, IA, MA, MI, NJ, NC, NE) require purchasers to obtain a permit and undergo a background check before buying a handgun. Florida allows its counties to regulate gun shows by requiring background checks on all firearms purchases at these events. 33 states have taken no action whatsoever to close the Gun Show Loophole.
More: Gun Show Loophole - Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

The Brady Campaign to Ban Every Fucking Gun on the Planet is hardly an objective source.

Unfortunately, current federal law requires criminal background checks only for guns sold through licensed firearm dealers, which account for just 60% of all gun sales in the United States. A loophole in the law allows individuals not “engaged in the business” of selling firearms to sell guns without a license—and without processing any paperwork. That means that two out of every five guns sold in the United States change hands without a background check.

Though commonly referred to as the “Gun Show Loophole,” the “private sales” described above include guns sold at gun shows, through classified newspaper ads, the Internet, and between individuals virtually anywhere.

Unfortunately, only six states (CA, CO, IL, NY, OR, RI) require universal background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows. Three more states (CT, MD, PA) require background checks on all handgun sales made at gun shows. Seven other states (HI, IA, MA, MI, NJ, NC, NE) require purchasers to obtain a permit and undergo a background check before buying a handgun. Florida allows its counties to regulate gun shows by requiring background checks on all firearms purchases at these events. 33 states have taken no action whatsoever to close the Gun Show Loophole.
More: Gun Show Loophole - Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

The Brady Campaign to Ban Every Fucking Gun on the Planet is hardly an objective source.

Prove the facts are wrong - with credible sources.

omg​

Another right winger already pulled this BS on the first page. This topic is asking the question if you support the "gun show loophole" which allows the private sale of firearms to people without a background check.

It's a simple yes or no,...

You don't get to change the goal posts when you are losing the game.

Original OP:​

A gun show does not equal a private sale does not equal licensed dealers!

Understand now?

night now...just cause I'm leaving this thread doesn't mean I'm leaving the subject matter behind. ***hugs***

Last edited:

That 60% lie has been debunked so many times, yet you keep telling it. Grow up man.

Debunked by whom? Please show us some "credible" sources proving it has been factually debunked.

When someone puts the word credible in quotes that usually means they intend to reject anything I post.

PolitiFact | Mayor Michael Bloomberg says 40 percent of guns are sold without a background check

Another right winger already pulled this BS on the first page. This topic is asking the question if you support the "gun show loophole" which allows the private sale of firearms to people without a background check.

It's a simple yes or no,...

There is no gun show loophole.

Posting links to inaccurate stories is not a method of arguing a point, you really should learn that since you are one of the biggest whiners about people not arguing points.

Prove it wrong - with credible sources.

Prove what wrong? You didn't make a point, and I already proved the 40% number is nothing more than a wild guess based on ancient data.

No I do not. I think you should need a license to own guns. The Back Ground check should be done then, and then you could just carry your License into the Shows to buy guns with out the Sellers having to do Back Ground checks.

Not very right wing of me I know, sorry to disappoint lol.

But it is rational. You need a license to drive a car. Just so long as it's not used to try and make it unaffordable to own a gun, and only as a way to make sure the Mentally Ill, and people we Felony Records are not able to buy them.

Last edited:

Once again, posting links is not making an argument, nor does it add content to the thread.

The title speaks for itself. It's there for those who wish to read it...

It does not.

Let me explain why.

1. Anyone that wants a clear conscious can already sell his gun to a dealer, or turn it into the police to be destroyed. Thus the first point it an outright lie.
  2. If background checks prevented people who are mentally ill from getting weapons Domer would not have any weapons. He is, quite obviously, mentally ill, yet he managed to purchase guns in California after undergoing extensive background checks. He was even a cop, even though he is crazy.
  3. This is only an opinion. I have to admit that it seems that anecdotal evidence supports it, but it is still an opinion. On top of that, it is irrelevant, because private sales are not businesses.
  4. This is not a reason, and it is also incorrect. Even the Supreme Court has ruled that background checks actually do infringe on the 2nd Amendment, they just ruled that it is a reasonable infringement.
  5. It tends to keep the bad guys away? How many bad guys are at gun shows in the first place? How do you define bad guy?
Not only does the title not speak for itself, reading it actually proves that the author wrote stuff that contradicted the title, managed to find people that don't understand the law, and provably pulled a few of them out of his ass.

Impressive trolling
jack.gif
but let's get back on topic.

It's about the most simple question to be asked. Do you support the "gun show loophole" that allows people to acquire a firearm with no background check? Yes or no.

THERE
IS
NO
GUN
SHOW
LOOPHOLE.

In order for a gun show loophole to exist there would have to be a law requiring all gun sales to go through background checks, and there would have to be an exception specifically carved out for sales at trade shows, or in big crowds. Until you show me that you are merely asking me if I support your delusions.

For the record, I do not support your delusion that a gun show loophole exists.

Forum List

Back