Do You Support the Death Penalty?

Do you support the death penalty?

• Total voters
So far as I know, the Innocence Project has never been able to prove that anyone innocent has been executed. As I said, judges and juries tend to be very reluctant to impose the death sentence without overwhelming proof. Murderers are much more likely to receive life sentences.
Why would the innocence project, with limited resources and funds, spend their time and money on proving the State was wrong in murdering an innocent man when they have REAL LIVE INNOCENT PRISONERS to get off Death Row and out of Prison type thing?

I think this is a critical situation for them, with limited resources as said, and they are doing what MATTERS most at this point.

And just the fact that 17 of those they found innocent through DNA were on Death Row.... the 233 they found innocent through DNA, were falsely imprisoned for other crimes or in states where the death penalty is not used.

Anyway, that's ONE TOO MANY for me....

I don't believe ANYTHING has changed that would prevent further convictions of innocent men....since many of them were due to "man" either twisting information for their own personal gain, whether it be a cop or the prosecutor or the lab doing initial work, corruption is prevelent in quite of few of these cases.... and sadly, there will ALWAYS be corrupt people....imho. :(

Who was the MOST FAMOUS innocent man of all times to be put on death row and falsely executed?

Jesus Christ.

Care

So far as I know, the Innocence Project has never been able to prove that anyone innocent has been executed.

What would be the point after the person was executed?
There have been a few people on death row who were found to be innocent through DNA evidence.

I said yes, but I don't support the way it is now. If you clearly did some hanous shit, and there is no way you are innocent, then you should die and it should not take years. And it should not cost a fortune.

But for example, Scott Peterson. Sure he did it, but no one can be 100% sure, so you don't kill him. You just put him in jail for life without parole.

But when some men are executed for killing a couple people and Jeffrey Dahmer didn't get the death sentence? That's unacceptable. It has to be fair.

I said yes, but I don't support the way it is now. If you clearly did some hanous shit, and there is no way you are innocent, then you should die and it should not take years. And it should not cost a fortune.

But for example, Scott Peterson. Sure he did it, but no one can be 100% sure, so you don't kill him. You just put him in jail for life without parole.

But when some men are executed for killing a couple people and Jeffrey Dahmer didn't get the death sentence? That's unacceptable. It has to be fair.

Jeffrey Dahmer did get death, but wasn't executed by the system.

This in no way changes my vote. But I thought I would put it out there for your info.

Witness Clears Man Executed In Texas for 1985 Slaying

Associated Press
Tuesday, November 22, 2005; A02

Witness Clears Man Executed In Texas for 1985 Slaying
HOUSTON -- A decade after Ruben Cantu was executed for capital murder, the only witness to the crime is recanting and his co-defendant says Cantu, then 17, was not even with him that night.

The victim was shot nine times with a rifle during an attempted robbery before the gunman shot the only witness.

That witness, Juan Moreno, told the Houston Chronicle for its Sunday editions that Cantu was not the killer. Moreno said he identified him at the 1985 trial because he felt pressured and feared authorities.

Cantu, who had maintained his innocence, was executed on Aug. 24, 1993, at age 26. "Texas murdered an innocent person," co-defendant David Garza said.

Sam D. Millsap Jr., the district attorney who handled the case, said he never should have sought the death penalty in a case based on testimony from a witness who identified a suspect only after police showed him a photo three times.

Why would the innocence project, with limited resources and funds, spend their time and money on proving the State was wrong in murdering an innocent man when they have REAL LIVE INNOCENT PRISONERS to get off Death Row and out of Prison type thing?

Actually, they've tried. They and other groups like them would LOVE to find such proof, so as to take the death penalty off the table forever. The only problem is, they can't.

I think this is a critical situation for them, with limited resources as said, and they are doing what MATTERS most at this point.

And just the fact that 17 of those they found innocent through DNA were on Death Row.... the 233 they found innocent through DNA, were falsely imprisoned for other crimes or in states where the death penalty is not used.

Anyway, that's ONE TOO MANY for me....

I don't believe ANYTHING has changed that would prevent further convictions of innocent men....since many of them were due to "man" either twisting information for their own personal gain, whether it be a cop or the prosecutor or the lab doing initial work, corruption is prevelent in quite of few of these cases.... and sadly, there will ALWAYS be corrupt people....imho. :(

Who was the MOST FAMOUS innocent man of all times to be put on death row and falsely executed?

Jesus Christ.

Care

Of course, the fact that He WANTED to be executed has nothing to do with it, nor does the fact that ancient Biblical times and law are utterly irrelevant to the discussion of modern American law.

What would be the point after the person was executed?
There have been a few people on death row who were found to be innocent through DNA evidence.

The point is to say, "See?! The death penalty is bad, bad, BAD!" And then you get it abolished.

Actually, they've tried. They and other groups like them would LOVE to find such proof, so as to take the death penalty off the table forever. The only problem is, they can't.

Of course, the fact that He WANTED to be executed has nothing to do with it, nor does the fact that ancient Biblical times and law are utterly irrelevant to the discussion of modern American law.

Do you have a link of some sort to show proof that they have TRIED and have found NONE. because that's a pretty affirnative statement of yours, as though it is based on fact...so, could we see the FACTS on that....?

Did you read Political Chic's post, who is also in favor of the Death Penalty as you are, but she AT LEAST was an honest ace and showed that there have been innocent men killed via the death penalty, by posting the article she did, regarding one of them.
-----------------------------------

On the second issue, Jesus Christ did not intervene with spiritual force or power, he allowed himself to be killed as any man in his situation, even if innocent, would have been....he submitted to his death, but He was innocently charged by man....all of this was man's doing.

As an entity of God, He was very aware of what was going to be done to Him, but He did NOT MAKE IT be done to Him, this was the free will of men, and some of man's evil nature....He overcame this wrongful death, thru His resurection is my understanding of it....

At least, this is how I see it....(not trying to force you or anyone to see it as I do, fyi :) )

care

So far as I know, the Innocence Project has never been able to prove that anyone innocent has been executed. As I said, judges and juries tend to be very reluctant to impose the death sentence without overwhelming proof. Murderers are much more likely to receive life sentences.

Oh please. Is it your contention that those people who were not exonerated really committed the crime that sent them to death row? That seems highly unlikely. Let’s go back in time and consider one of those that were exonerated. What if his execution date was just a day before evidence was found exonerating him. I guess that since he was executed too soon, he really did commit the crime. I’m no statistician, but I think that it is highly unlikely that each and every person that was given capital punishment really committed the crimes for which they were executed. I suspect that we executed at least one person that didn’t commit the crime.

Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:

• Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
• Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
• Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
• Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
• David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
• Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
• Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000
• Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004

That word is now in the Collins English dictionary. Allegedly first observed on The Simpsons it's widespread use on the Internet has now seen it given formal status in the Collins.

:eusa_angel:

Yeah, that's a fun one ;), just learned it myself, lol.

Too Cool, it's already raised to that status, hah!

Why, btw, why do you use diuretic, silly?:)

Do you have a link of some sort to show proof that they have TRIED and have found NONE. because that's a pretty affirnative statement of yours, as though it is based on fact...so, could we see the FACTS on that....?

What specifically did you want proven? That people have tried to find evidence of an innocent man being executed, or that they haven't found one? That they haven't found one is self-evident in the fact that . . . HELLO! there aren't any. That they've tried is self-evident in the fact that there are tons of stories about people like Ruben Cantu, trumpeting the whole, "See, he was innocent!" thing, but never actually being able to prove it. Where do you think those stories come from, if not from people trying to prove that innocent people have been executed?

What an utterly ridiculous "Prove that water is really wet" question. Sheesh.

Did you read Political Chic's post, who is also in favor of the Death Penalty as you are, but she AT LEAST was an honest ace and showed that there have been innocent men killed via the death penalty, by posting the article she did, regarding one of them.

And the purpose of this was what, exactly? To make me say, "Ohmigod, Political Chic has his approval! He admires and likes Political Chic's posts, therefore I must try to sound more like Political Chic so that I will have his approval too!"? "She at least was honest" is just another way of saying, "She agreed with me more, and therefore I automatically assume it was true."

Posting an article where the media claimed that someone was innocent does NOT prove that he was innocent. It proves that the media is biased against capital punishment, or for that matter, any criminal punishment. You ever read the utter SLEW of articles that came out a while back, claiming that the men convicted of raping the Central Park jogger weren't really guilty, based simply on the fact that a man who was already in prison decided to claim that he'd done it all by himself? Same thing.

-----------------------------------

On the second issue, Jesus Christ did not intervene with spiritual force or power, he allowed himself to be killed as any man in his situation, even if innocent, would have been....he submitted to his death, but He was innocently charged by man....all of this was man's doing.

As an entity of God, He was very aware of what was going to be done to Him, but He did NOT MAKE IT be done to Him, this was the free will of men, and some of man's evil nature....He overcame this wrongful death, thru His resurection is my understanding of it....

At least, this is how I see it....(not trying to force you or anyone to see it as I do, fyi :) )

care

Is there a point here, or are you just trying to obfuscate and wander down tangents until everyone gets bored and you manage to kill the thread?

No rebuttal there I see.

No, because . . . DUH, there's no point in trying to rebut something ridiculous and utterly unrelated to the topic. The only "rebuttal" necessary is to point out what a complete waste of time it was, and I did so.

Now I'm doing so with THIS post. I shan't be doing the same with your next one, so make sure it contains something deserving of a response.

"Juan Roberto Melendez spent nearly 18 years on death row for a crime he didn’t commit. This year, he joined the nearly 100 death row prisoners nationwide who have been found innocent and released. When he was finally exonerated -- thanks to the chance discovery of a crucial piece of evidence by a lawyer who was cleaning his office -- he became the 22nd death row prisoner released in Florida, the state that leads the country in exonerations.

A month later, the U.S. Supreme Court halted the execution of a Florida man who came within three hours of death while it considers a legal issue "that could ultimately lead to the state’s death penalty law being declared unconstitutional," reported the Orlando Tribune. The justices will rule on whether judges, rather than juries, can sentence people to death -- a practice that exists in nine states. Following the Supreme Court announcement, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush canceled a second scheduled execution, reinforcing the point that there is a de facto moratorium in the state.

Meanwhile, the scheduled execution of Maryland death row inmate Steven Oken was also halted while the U.S. Supreme Court decides on his appeal. It is unlikely that any other death warrants will be signed in Maryland before the justices make their ruling.

This is good news to the growing number of activists who have been fighting these executions. Their influence can be seen in the comment of a judge who dissented in the ruling that stopped Oken’s execution -- he said the death penalty should be abolished because "it simply is not worth the aggravation."

We find it "aggravating" that innocent people are sent to death row. We find it "aggravating" that 40 percent of all death row prisoners are African American. And we find it "aggravating" -- and also disgusting and morally indefensible -- that, while the death penalty does nothing to deter crime, we continue to hear from politicians that it makes society safer."

The Death Penalty Is Dead Wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back