Do You Support the Death Penalty?

Do you support the death penalty?

• Total voters
My sister and I drove together to the death house to see the man who assaulted us executed. It was a very bonding experience for us.

you enjoyed watching the execution of a person that was killed by the state because this person assaulted you and your sis?

i call that SICK.....to the enth degree. :eek:

Jesus abolished the laws of leviticus for us Christians to answer your statement earlier about God and the Bible....Jesus DIED for ALL of those sins...no???

only about 5 states use the death penalty, ALL OTHER STATES do not.

more people are executed in texas each year than all other states combined....i had read somewhere....

you enjoyed watching the execution of a person that was killed by the state because this person assaulted you and your sis?

i call that SICK.....to the enth degree. :eek:

Jesus abolished the laws of leviticus for us Christians to answer your statement earlier about God and the Bible....Jesus DIED for ALL of those sins...no???

only about 5 states use the death penalty, ALL OTHER STATES do not.

more people are executed in texas each year than all other states combined....i had read somewhere....

She's not sick. Just honest. I would have felt the same way given the circumstances.

The problem with places like Texas is the electric chair. They need to economize and get the electric sofa. Justice should be swift. They needn't have these murderous felons sit in jail for decades awaiting their justice.

My sister and I drove together to the death house to see the man who assaulted us executed. It was a very bonding experience for us.

why was this man on death row? you say he assaulted you and your sister so I can only assume you were not his only victims, correct?

As for innocent men being excuted, well one can only assume it has happened simply based on the fact that in recent years, as DNA technology has advanced, men have been freed from prison for crimes that they clearly did not commit. Rapes, murders, et al.

Now, I for one support DNA testing for ALL convicted rapists and murders currently in prison. Eliminate ANY doubt of their guilt once and for all and then start signing death warrants for those who have received the dealth penalty. I don't believe in allowing these people to live 10-20 years waiting for their sentence to be carried out.

and I'd like an explanation as to how it's more expensive to execute someone than it is to house them for 40-50 years. How much does the electricity bill go up when you throw that switch? can't be that much.

why was this man on death row? you say he assaulted you and your sister so I can only assume you were not his only victims, correct?

As for innocent men being excuted, well one can only assume it has happened simply based on the fact that in recent years, as DNA technology has advanced, men have been freed from prison for crimes that they clearly did not commit. Rapes, murders, et al.

Now, I for one support DNA testing for ALL convicted rapists and murders currently in prison. Eliminate ANY doubt of their guilt once and for all and then start signing death warrants for those who have received the dealth penalty. I don't believe in allowing these people to live 10-20 years waiting for their sentence to be carried out.

and I'd like an explanation as to how it's more expensive to execute someone than it is to house them for 40-50 years. How much does the electricity bill go up when you throw that switch? can't be that much.

public defenders and the many legal appeals is the cost....

public defenders and the many legal appeals is the cost....

that is what I thought. It's not the execution itself but rather the bullshit the court system goes through allowing these shitbags to appeal endlessly.

The apocalypse is coming soon...we actually agree on something. Darn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't God also very clearly lay down the death penalty as the punishment for specific crimes in the Old Testament? So "vengeance is mine" doesn't appear to have been a society-wide restriction, but an individual one.

You are refering to "An eye for an eye." Ask the Jews for an answer on that one. The Old Testament is their book. In the New Testament, which in the Christian faith takes precidence when contradicting the Old Testament, the Lord says that he alone will stand in judgement.

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave itto the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

You are correct it is a personal position, but it is very much based on my faith.

that is what I thought. It's not the execution itself but rather the bullshit the court system goes through allowing these shitbags to appeal endlessly.
This is it, exactly. The cost of appeals is exhorbitant. Of course, if we are talking about a permanent penalty, I'm all in favor of ensuring that the person is actually guilty. And, having worked in the system for many years, I am not always completely confident of guilt in every case.

But, I have no moral objection to pulling the plug of a person who is clearly guilty as sin. It actually causes me to sleep better at night, and I applaud Cecilie's bravery in giving us her story as an example. Our obligation to protect the innocent from harm outweighs the need to sustain the meaningless existence of a convicted murderer.

Last edited:

If you were innocent and on Death Row, you would be THANKING God that there were so many safeguards in place....before the State killed you via execution.

We have a justice system that is based on innocense NOT on guilt, and this is WHY it is JUST, is my understanding of it.....soooooo, i wouldn't be too quick in giving up the appeals....

our system is based on letting someone guilty go, IF IT MEANS that you will not falsely imprison someone innocent....

innocent until proven guilty...
5th amendment rights....
guilty BEYOND a reasonable doubt...

all based on what i mentioned and many, many more things in our justice system that makes it JUST.

The problem with DNA evidence in murder cases, is that there is seldom DNA evidence....unless a rape occurred also or the murderer cut himself while killing the other person or he manually killed the other person and this person scraped him with her fingernails type thing...

But in most cases, someone is murdered with a gun, or burned or dumped in the ocean to rot and there really is no dna evidence....

Though i agree with you, if there is DNA evidence avail to use, then it most certainly should be used to convict them.

care

If you were innocent and on Death Row, you would be THANKING God that there were so many safeguards in place....before the State killed you via execution.

We have a justice system that is based on innocense NOT on guilt, and this is WHY it is JUST, is my understanding of it.....soooooo, i wouldn't be too quick in giving up the appeals....

our system is based on letting someone guilty go, IF IT MEANS that you will not falsely imprison someone innocent....

innocent until proven guilty...
5th amendment rights....
guilty BEYOND a reasonable doubt...

all based on what i mentioned and many, many more things in our justice system that makes it JUST.

The problem with DNA evidence in murder cases, is that there is seldom DNA evidence....unless a rape occurred also or the murderer cut himself while killing the other person or he manually killed the other person and this person scraped him with her fingernails type thing...

But in most cases, someone is murdered with a gun, or burned or dumped in the ocean to rot and there really is no dna evidence....

Though i agree with you, if there is DNA evidence avail to use, then it most certainly should be used to convict them.

care

I'm all for safeguards don't get me wrong but when someone is SO CLEARLY guilty and they get to appeal? that's bullshit.

I don't know, I'm off the opinion that in 99.9% of cases the person in jail has done SOMETHING wrong at some point to put them on the radar of police. At least in this day and age. I just don't believe that juries convict men like they used to on flimsy circumstantial evidence or because the guy is black and the witness said it was a black guy.

Now, before? hell yes I think people were railroaded and thrown in jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time but I just don't see that happening to much anymore.... not with more savvy juries and better investigative techniques.

IT HAPPENS all too often....

Facts on Post-Conviction DNA Exonerations
[Print Version]

There have been 223 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States.

• The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 32 states; since 2000, there have been 158 exonerations.

• 17 of the 223 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row.

• The average length of time served by exonerees is 12 years. The total number of years served is approximately 2,754.

• The average age of exonerees at the time of their wrongful convictions was 26.

Races of the 223 exonerees:

138 African Americans
59 Caucasians
19 Latinos
1 Asian American
6 whose race is unknown

• The true suspects and/or perpetrators have been identified in 88 of the DNA exoneration cases.

• Since 1989, there have been tens of thousands of cases where prime suspects were identified and pursued—until DNA testing (prior to conviction) proved that they were wrongly accused.

• In more than 25 percent of cases in a National Institute of Justice study, suspects were excluded once DNA testing was conducted during the criminal investigation (the study, conducted in 1995, included 10,060 cases where testing was performed by FBI labs).

• About half of the people exonerated through DNA testing have been financially compensated. 25 states, the federal government, and the District of Columbia have passed laws to compensate people who were wrongfully incarcerated. Awards under these statutes vary from state to state.

• 33 percent of cases closed by the Innocence Project were closed because of lost or missing evidence.

The Innocence Project - News and Information: Fact Sheets

I am all for it, as long as they are guilty without a reasonable doubt.

Not only am I for it, but we should boradcast it on Pay Per View

what!!! :)

I figure it's a good stream of revenue for the government. But then we can't do boring stuff like lethal injection if people will pay

Maybe dip in boiling oil, head first of course.
And you let the family of the victim control the speed of the rope.

You get a high speed catapult and shoot a guy, right into a brick wall

Government would make millions

:p

No man should have the right to decide when another person's life should end. Period. It's in my signature, "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."

what!!! :)

I figure it's a good stream of revenue for the government. But then we can't do boring stuff like lethal injection if people will pay

Maybe dip in boiling oil, head first of course.
And you let the family of the victim control the speed of the rope.

You get a high speed catapult and shoot a guy, right into a brick wall

Government would make millions

:p

Bring on the Running Man...
;)

This is it, exactly. The cost of appeals is exhorbitant. Of course, if we are talking about a permanent penalty, I'm all in favor of ensuring that the person is actually guilty. And, having worked in the system for many years, I am not always completely confident of guilt in every case.

But, I have no moral objection to pulling the plug of a person who is clearly guilty as sin. It actually causes me to sleep better at night, and I applaud Cecilie's bravery in giving us her story as an example. Our obligation to protect the innocent from harm outweighs the need to sustain the meaningless existence of a convicted murderer.

Appeals are part and parcel of criminal law in this land. As long as we have a death penalty we will have these long drawn out appeals.

We would have less appeals with the LWOP as the law of the land.

We have a moral obligation to have a higher standard of civility than a murderer.

Execution is state sponsored pre-meditated 'eye- for- an- eye'- life for a life vengeance. It is not justice. There is no real justice when a loved one is murdered.

The innocent can be protected from further harm by LWOP. LWOP is a life sentence.

Execution is barbaric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but if someone is guilty of first degree murder and is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Time for him to say bye bye. Better off dead then that piece of shit sitting in a cell not being rehabiltated and spending thousands of tax payer money.

Forum List

Back