Do you still remember your favorite teacher?

It's a tie between my algebra teacher in high school or my organic chemistry teacher in college. You know you are good if your students remember how to do algebra to a college level a decade after you taught them. You know you are good if you can get anyone to love organic chemistry while teaching it off of a blackboard.

I feel bad for the kids who learn everything off of power point these days.

It's a tie between my algebra teacher in high school or my organic chemistry teacher in college. You know you are good if your students remember how to do algebra to a college level a decade after you taught them. You know you are good if you can get anyone to love organic chemistry while teaching it off of a blackboard.

A physician who actually loved organic chemistry is a rare find. :lol:

It was rare that a pre-med student was more a student than a point hound - always with the freaking regrades. I finally made a rule that if I regraded, that meant points both ways. Requests for regrades drastically reduced after that (I was 'known' for missing point deductions - rather most of the time, I was deliberate in that for curve purposes).

It was rare that a pre-med student was more a student than a point hound - always with the freaking regrades. I finally made a rule that if I regraded, that meant points both ways. Requests for regrades drastically reduced after that (I was 'known' for missing point deductions - rather most of the time, I was deliberate in that for curve purposes).

I had to come up with a policy for that problem, too. Otherwise, the students would nit-pick and argue for points, wasting valuable classtime. So now, two things apply: first, if you can show me in writing where your point is supported, I'll give up a point. Second, you show me you supporting evidence after class. When they have to use their time, the discussion gets cut short toot-sweet.

I use Powerpoint for lecture support but we spend three times as much class time in the lab. My students actually like the PP because it saves them from having to take too many notes.

I found elementary and especially high school to be incredibly boring but I remember a few teachers I had. I can't say I'd recognize them if I saw them but at least I remember their names. I would not say any one teacher i ever had profoundly affected my life though.

I remember a number of teachers who I particularly enjoyed taking classes with.

One of them, Mr. Fonzone, a Lehigh graduate, taught us how to diagram sentences back in 9th grade

Sounds deadly boring, doesn't it?

Somehow he made sentence diagramming something like a mystery worth solving.

He got tired of teaching (actually I think they didn't renew his contract because he was irreverent or something) and joined the Marines.

He was killed in Viet Nam.

What a waste of a good man.

Last edited:
The first male teacher I had inspired me to become a teacher. He did more for his students than others had. He had creativity and really cared. That's when I decided I wanted to be just like him. Sixth grade. Thank you, Mr. Deppen.

My son had a sixth grade social studies teacher like that. Brilliant guy... very cool person.. great teacher. and after that class, and even now that he's in 9th grade, my son's always said he'd like to inspire kids the way that teacher inspired him. he also had a music teacher from 6th through 8th grades who probably changed his life and sent it in directions he'd never have anticipated.

i've had a few "favorite" teachers... one was my high school acting teacher, whom i still adore and have run into periodically. another was my 6th grade english teacher... another was a trial practice professor in law school... who has always always been there every time i've needed to call upon him or sent people to him. truly great man.

what i found about the teachers who inspired me was that they made *me* feel empowered.

i also went to law school because of a high school social studies teacher, so i suppose i've had lots of inspiration and been very very lucky. (knock wood and all that stuff).

One of them, Mr. Fonzone, a Lehigh graduate, taught us how to diagram sentences back in 9th grade

He got tired of teaching (actually I think they didn't renew his contract because he was irreverent or something) and joined the Marines.

i actually loved diagramming sentences... damn... we're nerds. :rofl:

that's sad about your teacher. what a cruddy era.

Him and about 58,000 other meatheads( including my cousin and brother) that thought they were doing something "noble".:cuckoo:

I grew up military, we moved on average every 1.5 years so I can't remember any of my K-12 teachers names. The only one that really stands out was my college history professor, Dr Wall. He was hard but extremely good, if you took notes in class and read the assignments, plus the optional material, and were good at essay tests you did well in his classes. Freshmen generally didn't do very well. :lol:

I loved how our Orgo teacher did business. He just posted a roster of all the grades in the class by tests (without names) so you could see where you ranked. Then he assigned the A, B, and C cutoff where he felt the lines should be drawn. Real old school. You would have to walk to his office to see where the grades were posted.

I certainly do,Miss Duckworth was one of these very fortunate slim women,whose beautiful breasts,entered the classroom half a hour before the rest of her body.

Ladies not so endowled should not be perturbed, as,AS I always say, anymore than a mouthful is a waste.

Ladies of all sizes,have a Great Day.Us guys would be nowhere without YOU

Theliq

Last edited:
I don't hardly remember any of my teachers, let alone have a favorite.
I moved around a LOT when I was a young child, sometimes we moved in the middle of a school year, and each year I was in a different school in a different state.
It was hard to make friends, I vaguely recall any student's name from below high school.
I only remember 2 teachers....a Mrs. Yepson, and that was because she was a total blonde and I think she was nice ~LoL~
And I remember a Mrs. Stoll....because she was a total bitch. That's the only teachers I really recall......a couple in high school were "Ok".....but no favorites~

A side bar about educators who truly effected my life?

DR. ULER --

He was the principle of my elementary school, and was there in the main office on my first day of kindergarten --- when I got sent to the office for attempting to launch a revolt against our teacher. ("She's not our mother, we don't need to listen to her!)

When I graduated into Jr High, Doc Uler was promoted and was my principle for three horrible Junior High years.

When I got to high school, Doc Uler ended up being the senior-class principle, so once again that guy was a big part of my ED experience in HS, too.

Think about it kids...the Doc knew me up close and personally from my first day of school (from 5 years old) until I graduated HS 13 years later.

Probably nobody in that school system understoood who I really was better than that guy.

I was NOT a good student, I was a trouble maker and a truant often.

Doc got me, though, and he probably ran interference for me my whole ED life without me ever knowing it.

I really think that without that guy's understanding of what I was like and going though back then, I'd have probably been tossed out of school.

Forum List

Back