Do You Shop At The Salvation Army Store, Goodwill Industries, Or Value Village?

My Pit Bulls really love to play with those tough throw pillows. I buy em at the Valu Villiage about once a month. Great quality T-shirts and Jeans on the color tag sale day are like 50 cents and $2.50 respectively. I spied a really nice leather jacket last year on tag day..cost $7.50.

These days when families are trying to stretch a dollar these kinds of stores make the most of donations from those who can afford new store bought items when they up grade and great bargains for those who can't buy new can still look well dressed.

I donate stuff we don't use any more to Goodwill and Salvation Army. They're pretty lax at detailing specifics on their receipts, so it's easy to pad things up for those wonderful folks at the IRS. Shifty, the CPA, thus far has a pretty good feel for how much wool to pull over their eyes.

Nice post, Huggy!

I was serious about the watches. Those vintage mechanicals are getting harder to find with each passing day.

We go on occasion.

One of my tennants is a non-profit community thrift store. They had to close for most of December because of sidewalk construction, so I waved the rent. :thup:

That is what it is all about sometimes!!!:clap2:

I don't shop at charity thrift stores. I don't donate to them. I put useables out by the trash can so people can feel good about "stealing" them. They get still useable merchandise for free and are pleased that they got away with stealing it.

Pretty good bargains at garage sales and swap meets also, at least in Southern California.

Most of my furniture is from places like this.

I love to buy great all wood furniture and refurbish it.

I have some very cool pieces that cost me next to nothing.

I bought an awesome table with fold down sides and three leafs which can go from a four foot by six foot table to a twelve by six foot table in a minute for 12 bucks.

all wood and had like 7 coats of paint on it.

I don't shop at charity thrift stores. I don't donate to them. I put useables out by the trash can so people can feel good about "stealing" them. They get still useable merchandise for free and are pleased that they got away with stealing it.

When we leave usable stuff out by the trash by the curb on trash day it's not considered stealing. When not on trash day some of us put a sign "free" on usables.

My favorite thing to buy used is jeans and other pants. They've already shrunk so you know the fit you see is the fit you get.

Recently bought a $1500 kiln for $200 and, even better, its exactly the kiln I wanted.

I also donate, especially to the homeless shelter. We decided we really didn't want or need much of anything for xmas so spent the money on Toys for Tots instead.

When we leave usable stuff out by the trash by the curb on trash day it's not considered stealing. When not on trash day some of us put a sign "free" on usables.

We've done the same thing - put it out for anyone who wants/needs it.

I shop at Salvation Army occasionally as well as another thrift store that is closer to my locale. Never know what you'll find. Big Box stores kill American manufacturing (decent paying) jobs while creating subsistence jobs.

Last edited:

I'm very glad I don't live in your ugly, petty, smelly little world.

My Pit Bulls really love to play with those tough throw pillows. I buy em at the Valu Villiage about once a month. Great quality T-shirts and Jeans on the color tag sale day are like 50 cents and $2.50 respectively. I spied a really nice leather jacket last year on tag day..cost $7.50.

These days when families are trying to stretch a dollar these kinds of stores make the most of donations from those who can afford new store bought items when they up grade and great bargains for those who can't buy new can still look well dressed.

Anytime one of us gets wrapped gifts - xmas, birthdays, so does our dog. He understands gifts and is deeply hurt if he doesn't get one too.

We have bought so many stuffed toys at yard sales. considering how long they last, I love paying a buck for them.

If you do you are saving more money than shopping at Walmart and helping your community immensely.

Whenever I drop a donation off I usually peruse the bookshelves at goodwill. I've found great buys on books, especially bios of our Presidents, Supreme Court Justices, our founding fathers and other famous Americans from every walk of life. Good detail on well known and less known events in our country's past.

All the really good stuff is taken by those who work at the stores long before it gets to shelves. They sell it at swap meets and garage sales. It's okay, there's plenty of second rate throw aways.

If you do you are saving more money than shopping at Walmart and helping your community immensely.

Ah yes, Walmart is evil and oh so unhelpful. Why just look at the what they did in 2011:
Pretax income: $22 billion
Income taxes: $7.1 billion
Net income: $14.3 billion
Tax rate: 32.4%

Boy, that $7.1 billion in taxes paid by Walmart must REALLY suck when it comes to helping communities. What's the matter? All of sudden you don't think taxes are good for your community?

No, but I drop stuff off there because I refuse to do garage sales where I put a $5 price tag on something that costs $75 and someone wants to talk me down to $2. I have better ways to spend my time.

Forum List

Back