do you say goodbye on the phone?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
a friend and i were discussing this. do you simply hang up or do you say good bye?

she ventured it was that the south is more polite and slower. so is there a regional thing to this? or is it just personal?

a friend and i were discussing this. do you simply hang up or do you say good bye?

she ventured it was that the south is more polite and slower. so is there a regional thing to this? or is it just personal?

i always say goodbye. and I'm a Yankee. lol

I always say some sort of "good bye" but it's rarely as plain as just: good bye. :)

Wait, what? Can I assume something other than "goodbye" is a different message that indicates that you expect your conversation to end, and not just randomly hanging up? :confused:

I always say good bye or Peace Out!
I had a friend that would just hang up, it was wierd.
I also had a boyfriend who would always hang up when we were fighting, it would drive me nuts.

I used to just wing it and try to say bye love u to the people who deserved it and goodbye to the others...Then my Grandfather (RIP) who was used to speaking to his family said I love you over and over again told his proctoligist's nurse I love you...well lets just say he felt so sheepish that he started saying AFLAK to everyone at the end of his phone calls...I have adopted this mentality and it is driving telemarketers and my Mom crazy LOL!:razz:

I say goodbye after a conversation or "thank you" after a quick question. If someone hangs up without saying goodbye or thanks or take care or something along those lines, whether it's family a friend or a business call, I interpret that as a sign of disrespect.

Last edited:
Not for telemarketers ... ever.

When they call, I used to tell them "look, I'm in the middle of fucking my wife here, do you mind?" Then I wait for their reaction before I hang up. Now, I ask for their supervisor and tell them that they're violating the do-not-call law by calling this number, I have their phone in my caller ID (if I do) and I am reporting this to the appropriate law enforcement agencies and then I hang up.

Last edited:
The one month I was a telemarketer I wanted to shoot myself.
I had to pretend I was doing an ecological study but really we were trying to see if people qualified to buy a vaccuum.

The one month I was a telemarketer I wanted to shoot myself.
I had to pretend I was doing an ecological study but really we were trying to see if people qualified to buy a vaccuum.

Now that type I wouldn't mind so much. I get the ones that are trying to sell something and they just can't take no for an answer, or worse, those stupid prerecorded ones. :evil:

I was terrible at telemarketing because you are not suppose to take no for an answer, I would cave easily.

I always say "bye" in some form; usually "alright man, peace" or "ok, I'll see you later."

This is might sound bizarre, but it actually irks me when I'm watching movies and the characters just hang up, which happens over half the time.

I was terrible at telemarketing because you are not suppose to take no for an answer, I would cave easily.

Thus why I treat them like shit, get them to quit their jobs so the companies that hire them won't be able to find people to do the job ... problem solved. ;)

I actually got fired because I was so bad at it. I hated it anyways so I was cool with it.
I had a few people flip out on me so I stopped trying knowing I would get fired.

I actually got fired because I was so bad at it. I hated it anyways so I was cool with it.
I had a few people flip out on me so I stopped trying knowing I would get fired.

what is the worst thing someone said to you?

Forum List

Back