Do You Really Care How Respected We Are Around the Globe??

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Poll says roughly 2/3rds of American's are concerned about our standing with the rest of the world.

Maybe it's just me but who cares what others think of us if it means putting our country in jeopardy to win their approval???????????? :p:

Bonnie said:
Poll says roughly 2/3rds of American's are concerned about our standing with the rest of the world.

Maybe it's just me but who cares what others think of us if it means putting our country in jeopardy to win their approval???????????? :p:

Nope right now I think we're in the position of a parent that says their 12 year old may not date. Not popular, but right. In the long run, they may get it, in the short run, they are safe.

I do care, however, If an action that our country takes is deemed necessary but unpopular with the rest of the world.....well tough shit to the rest of the world.

Bonnie said:

I do care about our country being respected. I don't particularly care if we're popular or not.

Merlin1047 said:
I do care about our country being respected. I don't particularly care if we're popular or not.

Probably the use of the word respected is not the best the term to use for this discussion....So popular is much better, and I still don't care if we are popular or not, it's not worth us giving away any of our soverignty for a popularity contest.

[Full Metal Jacket]

"You will not LIKE me, but you WILL respect me!"

The USA is like the DI from FMJ...I wish we'd treat the UN like the DI did Pvt. Joker.

"Private Joker! CHOKE YOURSELF!! NO! WITH MY HAND!!!"

:)

I'd rather be feared than popular.

But that's just me.

With respect to the rest of the globe, I suspect that even in countries like France and Germany there exists a sizable minority that is genuinely happy there is a United States of America. These people just don't get as much press.

I think the world does respect us. Otherwise they would have made an attempt to really piss us off by now. Trade embargos, open acts of agression, etc. They respect our military might and our global economic power that we bring.

Who cares if we're popular. We're most definitely respected though.

Didn't t think we were in a popularity contest.

We generally do the right thing, however our means of getting there is sometimes messed up. That being said, if they do not respect us for what we are and represent, then screw them.

I could care less if we are popular. We are only picked on so much because we are the most powerful IMO. Although they may not admit it,we are respected in some sense,otherwise the U.S. would not be called upon whenever some country is in trouble. I also think there are more people out there that like us,but it isn't put in the press hardly ever. We have done many good things that I think a lot of people appreciate.

krisy said:
I could care less if we are popular. We are only picked on so much because we are the most powerful IMO. Although they may not admit it,we are respected in some sense,otherwise the U.S. would not be called upon whenever some country is in trouble. I also think there are more people out there that like us,but it isn't put in the press hardly ever. We have done many good things that I think a lot of people appreciate.

Just to be clear - you are saying you DO care to some extent? Or you could'nt care less about the popularity of the USA, because the level of caring you DO have is so small, that no amount of caring could be considered 'less' than the amount of caring you have?

:D

:poke: :p:

-=d=- said:
Just to be clear - you are saying you DO care to some extent? Or you could'nt care less about the popularity of the USA, because the level of caring you DO have is so small, that no amount of caring could be considered 'less' than the amount of caring you have?
:shocked: Say that 3 times fast, LMAO!!!

-=d=- said:

:D

:poke: :p:

????? You know what I mean!!!

:chains: :bye1:

I do what I do for me. I use my own morals and code of conduct. I do not act for gain- whether that be respect from or popularity among others.

If the world fears us...so be it. We've done nothing to be feared by those who do not seek to hurt us.

If the world doesnt want to be our friend...so be it. Just don't be my enemy. And don't come a'callin on your slimy belly with your hand out.

If the world doesn't want to help us...so be it. We need no help.

If the world respects us because they understand that what we do we do out of good will and an attempt to do the right thing (regardless of whether it TURNS OUT to be the right thing), I will go to the ends of the earth and die for them, my friends.

Zhukov said:
I suspect that even in countries like France and Germany there exists a sizable minority that is genuinely happy there is a United States of America.

Whoa. Don't travel much, huh?

I don't give a shit myself, but as a conservative, I want to see us not give a shit for the right reasons. If the whole world hates us because we are fighting wars for Jews, maybe we should wake up to that fact and realize that Jews ARE NOT our friends --- they are our enemies.

Bonnie said:

I guess I fall into the other 1/3rd, I could give a rat's ass about what the rest of the world thinks about our country. :funnyface

pretty sure we've always been split 3 ways. A third wanted to fight the English, A third wanted to continue "diplomatic nuance-ing" and a third just wanted to get the crops harvested without getting involved.

I bet a 3rd will vote GWB, a third JFK, and a third is trying to score some good weed or just get the rent paid.

Guess which 3rd of our political spectrum doesn't give a damn about the big 3 Euro jokes ( because we are after all talking about France ,Germany & Russia, right?)

But as someone said before - Fear is good enough.

Forum List

Back