Do you read food lables?

Do you support this FDA Regulation?

• No. It's not Constitutional.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know that processed foods are bad for you..but I had to look up transfats to figure out what they ARE, exactly.

Apparently, transfat is vegetable oil, that has gone through a process to solidify it...sooooo..isn't Crisco a transfat?

It was considered a healthy substitute for lard back when it became popular...but as it turns out, it's really not, and lard isn't half as bad for us as people thought it was.

I cook with liquid veggie oil, and with lard. I never even buy crisco anymore...but all those goodies that have breading and that are fried or have some sort of shortening in the ingredients...they're filled and coated with the stuff.

It's bad for you. Quit eating processed foods. As far as FDA bans, meh, I think it's fairly ridiculous. Food manufacturers should get a clue though and just stop using the crap. Use lard instead. Give the ranchers a boost! Maybe if people realize those foods have LARD in them, they will exercise a little restraint when it comes to eating them.

Or maybe not.
You can make really nice vegetable-based soap using Crisco. I use Crisco, olive oil, and a variety of other oils to make my soaps. While lard does make a superior soap, it's quite expensive anymore.

I know that processed foods are bad for you..but I had to look up transfats to figure out what they ARE, exactly.

Apparently, transfat is vegetable oil, that has gone through a process to solidify it...sooooo..isn't Crisco a transfat?

It was considered a healthy substitute for lard back when it became popular...but as it turns out, it's really not, and lard isn't half as bad for us as people thought it was.

I cook with liquid veggie oil, and with lard. I never even buy crisco anymore...but all those goodies that have breading and that are fried or have some sort of shortening in the ingredients...they're filled and coated with the stuff.

It's bad for you. Quit eating processed foods. As far as FDA bans, meh, I think it's fairly ridiculous. Food manufacturers should get a clue though and just stop using the crap. Use lard instead. Give the ranchers a boost! Maybe if people realize those foods have LARD in them, they will exercise a little restraint when it comes to eating them.

Or maybe not.
You can make really nice vegetable-based soap using Crisco. I use Crisco, olive oil, and a variety of other oils to make my soaps. While lard does make a superior soap, it's quite expensive anymore.

Lanolin for skin...

Labeling should be voluntary, banning foods and food additives...meh, not so much. Personally, I read labels. I avoid all high fructose corn syrup and most products with sugar added. I try to stay away from the "bad" fats. And I absolutely want nothing to do with GMOs, which are currently not required to be revealed to the consumer. I grow as much of my own food as I can, spend lots of money at the local farmers' markets, drink and eat my own raw dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc).

Labeling should be voluntary, banning foods and food additives...meh, not so much. Personally, I read labels. I avoid all high fructose corn syrup and most products with sugar added. I try to stay away from the "bad" fats. And I absolutely want nothing to do with GMOs, which are currently not required to be revealed to the consumer. I grow as much of my own food as I can, spend lots of money at the local farmers' markets, drink and eat my own raw dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc).
I eat about the same as you, but without labels (that may also lie to us) how else would you know what to avoid?

marvin

The bugs will eat it all if it's all organic.
Not true. There are some plants that certain pests don't like, so you plant those near to plants susceptible to those pests. Also, if you can have poultry, let them free range and they eat lots of bugs. Not only do you keep the bug numbers down, you get some particularly tasty chickens, guinea fowl, etc.

Or maybe not.

Lanolin for skin...
I do add lanolin to some of my soaps. Aloe vera and vitamin E are also good additives, depending on what you want your soap to do.

I eat about the same as you, but without labels (that may also lie to us) how else would you know what to avoid?

marvin
Labels being voluntary, I could simply choose not to buy those brands that refused to label their contents. As far as lying, can't do much about that.

Forum List

Back