Do YOU qualify as a 'Sentient Life Form'?

Interesting. Sort of...

So, how do you think humans came to be here?
:dunno: Any thoughts on what happens when flesh fails and life ends?​

Well i guess to sum up i believe in evolution, and i even somewhat believe in abiogensis.

But i do believe in god. The type of god einstein believed in, i think he called him "the grand watch maker". In the sense that the universe operates according to a fundamental set of laws and those laws not only allow, but necessitate the formation life.

In the universe with billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, each most likely with a solar system like ours, life has to form somewhere, it probably exists anywhere in the universe with earth like conditions. That is: organic compounds (lipids, amino acids, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates; the four types of molecules life is made of), and liquid water.

So what about the great beyond? Any thoughts?

I like to think we become Sentient Stars, sentenced to cry and rejoice as life struggles toward Sentience on ones planets.

Life may be cheap in our universe teaming with stars and galaxies but I have a feeling the luck and time required to birth Sentient Life make the odds of things like us coming into existence rare indeed.

Our Sun must be so proud!

Interesting. Sort of...

So, how do you think humans came to be here?
:dunno: Any thoughts on what happens when flesh fails and life ends?​

Well i guess to sum up i believe in evolution, and i even somewhat believe in abiogensis.

But i do believe in god. The type of god einstein believed in, i think he called him "the grand watch maker". In the sense that the universe operates according to a fundamental set of laws and those laws not only allow, but necessitate the formation life.

In the universe with billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, each most likely with a solar system like ours, life has to form somewhere, it probably exists anywhere in the universe with earth like conditions. That is: organic compounds (lipids, amino acids, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates; the four types of molecules life is made of), and liquid water.

I like to think we become Sentient Stars, sentenced to cry and rejoice as life struggles toward Sentience on ones planets.

Life may be cheap in our universe teaming with stars and galaxies but I have a feeling the luck and time required to birth Sentient Life make the odds of things like us coming into existence rare indeed.

By the great beyond, do you mean whatever is beyond space. Like heaven or the after life?

Well what fascinates me are the scientific discoveries of the 20th century, the ones they dont really teach in high school school. Einsteins relativity, hiesenbergs uncertainty principle, paul dirac and particle physics.

The laws that these go by are somewhat strange if you think about it. Electromagnetic waves always travel at 186,000 miles a second. Nothing can go faster than this speed, special relativity forbids it. The charge of every particle is quantized, its either positive or negative 1.6 x 10^-19 columbs, and every electric charge is a massive multiple of that. The ratio of energy to frequency of a photon is 6.62606957(29)×10−34 J*S

These numbers come from somewhere. Something fundamental that we dont understand. Thats my definition of god, and of the great beyond.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant#cite_note-2010_CODATA-0

If I could bring myself to admit it, I could agree that our planet's position might be "time and luck" that made it conducive to supporting life.
I find that hard to admit because I still haven't grasped your (Joe) explanation of "something from nothing". ;)

Life itself, however (no matter how much some would dismiss this thought) is far too complex to be coincidence, IMO.

I'm not "brainwashed" with creationism. I see it with my own highly developed eyes everyday.

Since I believe that my body had to be created, it follows that there would be a Creator.
it further follows that my Creator would be a loving God.

The sum total of my "religion" is within that one word - Loving.

:cool:

As to the "prophecy" question??

The Bible foretells of "birthing pains" that would signal the end. Meaning that the wars, earthquakes, floods, etc. would occur with more severity and closer intervals.
That is definitely happening.
I can't see this old world holding together for much longer at this rate.
It either has to slow down some or we're doomed. (my grandkids' lifetime, maybe?)

The Bible foretells of "birthing pains" that would signal the end. Meaning that the wars, earthquakes, floods, etc. would occur with more severity and closer intervals.
It either has to slow down some or we're doomed. (my grandkids' lifetime, maybe?)

I expect the "world" will hold together. I suspect that the social structures currently in operation, won't.

I expect the "world" will hold together. I suspect that the social structures currently in operation, won't.

True enough, probably.
This planet is pretty good at shaking off what ails her

True enough, probably.
This planet is pretty good at shaking off what ails her

Yes- the old gal has definitely seen much rougher times than these. ;)

What's your religion? And I don't mean the label - Label shmabel!

Everyone has a religion... even if you don't leave the house of NFL on Sunday, you have a religion. Simply put, religion is the dynamic answers to the base questions to qualify as a Sentient life form: What are my origins? & What happens when I die? If you understand those questions and how to apply them to yourself, you my friend are Sentient. Congratulations! You may continue with this post.

By 'dynamic', I mean that it's perfectly legal, and quite common, to change your answers - Sentience means you understand the questions, not that you have the answers. (insert your preferred Deity here) knows I've changed my answers over the years! :eek:

So, currently speaking.....

How do you think Sentient Beings came to be on this wet rock, :cool: yourself among them?
and
How starts the next chapter of your personal essence :eusa_angel: when the time has come for your flesh to be laid out on a cold slab, staring into space?

What's your 'religion'? :dunno:
Remember: "I dunno." is a perfectly valid answer to either question, but I'll bet $1.00 that Momma's little bastards are pretty opinionated on the subject ;)

How about Prophecy? :eusa_think: Any revelations from your preferred Deity for the next generation and beyond?

I'm just visiting Joe. ;) :eusa_angel:

If I could bring myself to admit it, I could agree that our planet's position might be "time and luck" that made it conducive to supporting life.

You need to look up the anthropic principle. Your committing a massive logical fallacy.

Basically...

The scientific view is that any planet that develops life has to exist within the habitable zone of its star, a place just the right temperature so that liquid water can exist. So any life that develops will be in this "just right" zone. What you call "time and luck". In reality thats the only place life could exist. So you think its lucky that we developed in this spot, but in reality its the only region we could have developed. It we developed in another solar system in that systems habitable zone, we wouldnt know about earth and we would think the same thing about that planet.

I find that hard to admit because I still haven't grasped your (Joe) explanation of "something from nothing". ;)

slightly valid point. irrelevant to cosmic and biological evolution.

Life itself, however (no matter how much some would dismiss this thought) is far too complex to be coincidence, IMO.

an understanding of microbiology would quickly dismiss that thought. Where is the border for life? Is a virus life? i fail to see how that is too complex to be created naturally.

I'm not "brainwashed" with creationism. I see it with my own highly developed eyes everyday.

Its ok you just havent put any academic thought into the world around you. I assume you think your highly developed eyes work by magic or through some soul or something. No. Its actually potassium ions entering your optical nerve in a chain reaction leading back to the occipital lobe where your brain deciphers the image. The technique it uses to do this isnt too complex, we can actually do it ourselves.

Scientists: Now With More Ability To Make Movies From What Your Brain Is Thinking | Geekologie - Gadgets, Gizmos, and Awesome

Since I believe that my body had to be created, it follows that there would be a Creator.

So essentially you deny a species is defined by its genome.

By the great beyond, do you mean whatever is beyond space. Like heaven or the after life?

Well what fascinates me are the scientific discoveries of the 20th century, the ones they dont really teach in high school school. Einsteins relativity, hiesenbergs uncertainty principle, paul dirac and particle physics.

The laws that these go by are somewhat strange if you think about it. Electromagnetic waves always travel at 186,000 miles a second. Nothing can go faster than this speed, special relativity forbids it. The charge of every particle is quantized, its either positive or negative 1.6 x 10^-19 columbs, and every electric charge is a massive multiple of that. The ratio of energy to frequency of a photon is 6.62606957(29)×10−34 J*S

These numbers come from somewhere. Something fundamental that we dont understand. Thats my definition of god, and of the great beyond.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant#cite_note-2010_CODATA-0

Specifically, my reference to 'the great beyond' in the context of that post is death.

It's true that society will be different in 100 years. Probably about as different as society today is from society in 1912.

Our reflection will be in it just the same though, wrinkles and all.

These numbers come from somewhere. Something fundamental that we dont understand. Thats my definition of god, and of the great beyond.

Specifically, my reference to 'the great beyond' in the context of that post is death.

The same thing that happened before you were born. Nothing.

It's true that society will be different in 100 years. Probably about as different as society today is from society in 1912.

Thank God, or my lucky stars, depending on your beliefs and expectations, I won't be here in 100 years to muse at it, lol. :D

You need to look up the anthropic principle. Your committing a massive logical fallacy.

Basically...

The scientific view is that any planet that develops life has to exist within the habitable zone of its star, a place just the right temperature so that liquid water can exist. So any life that develops will be in this "just right" zone. What you call "time and luck". In reality thats the only place life could exist. So you think its lucky that we developed in this spot, but in reality its the only region we could have developed. It we developed in another solar system in that systems habitable zone, we wouldnt know about earth and we would think the same thing about that planet.

an understanding of microbiology would quickly dismiss that thought. Where is the border for life? Is a virus life? i fail to see how that is too complex to be created naturally.

Its ok you just havent put any academic thought into the world around you. I assume you think your highly developed eyes work by magic or through some soul or something. No. Its actually potassium ions entering your optical nerve in a chain reaction leading back to the occipital lobe where your brain deciphers the image. The technique it uses to do this isnt too complex, we can actually do it ourselves.

Scientists: Now With More Ability To Make Movies From What Your Brain Is Thinking | Geekologie - Gadgets, Gizmos, and Awesome

Has anyone called you a sanctimonious prick today?

I hope I have checked that of your list for you

:fu:

Basically...

Has anyone called you a sanctimonious prick today?

I hope I have checked that of your list for you

:fu:

:blahblah:

Reply with substance or dont reply at all.

No.

The OP asked for a breakdown of my religion and/or belief structure as it pertains to life on Earth.

Joe was satisfied with my response enough to rep me for it.

My personal beliefs don't require your critique or approval.

Thank God, or my lucky stars, depending on your beliefs and expectations, I won't be here in 100 years to muse at it, lol. :D

Not me... I'd love to be able to "see" the future. :cool:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOiNxOWeRQM]Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades - YouTube[/ame]

No.

The OP asked for a breakdown of my religion and/or belief structure as it pertains to life on Earth.

Joe was satisfied with my response enough to rep me for it.

My personal beliefs don't require your critique or approval.

That's true. This is a "what it is" religion thread, not a "justify it" religion thread.

Forum List

Back