Do you President John Tyler (10th President of the US) has two living GRANDSONS?

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
President John Tyler Has 2 Living Grandsons
Tyler died in 1862, but he had 15 children and fathered some late in life. His living grandchildren weren't born until the 1920s, during the Coolidge administration.

John Tyler became president in 1841 following the death of William Henry Harrison, who died on his 32nd day in office. Harrison holds the record for the shortest term in office as well as being the first president to die in office. His inaugural address lasted nearly two hours. He gave it in the cold, got pneumonia and died weeks later. Tyler became the first vice president to become president because of the incumbent's death.

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. was born in 1924. Harrison Ruffin Tyler was born in 1928. They are the sons of Lyon Gardiner Tyler Sr., one of President Tyler's 15 children.

"Both my grandfather — the president — and my father, were married twice. And they had children by their first wives. And their first wives died, and they married again and had more children. And my father was 75 when I was born, his father was 63 when he was born," Harrison Tyler explained to New York Magazine in 2012

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...ler-born-in-1790-still-has-2-living-grandsons

John Tyler was born 9 years before George Washington died. Interesting stuff to me.

Known as "His Accidency" at the time, as he was the first President to get the job because the last guy died.
Interesting fact about the death of William Harrison. That began the curse.

Called the Curse of Tippecanoe

That's an incredible story. The 1840 Harrison campaign was the first campaign to use relatively modern techniques like campaign buttons and catchy slogans "Tippecanoe and Tyler too" still resonates. Tyler became president after bareheaded " Old Tippecanoe" W.H. Harrison contracted pneumonia in an ice storm during an outdoor inaugural ceremony.

I find that to be quite credible when I consider that my own father was born century before last.

That's an incredible story. The 1840 Harrison campaign was the first campaign to use relatively modern techniques like campaign buttons and catchy slogans "Tippecanoe and Tyler too" still resonates. Tyler became president after bareheaded " Old Tippecanoe" W.H. Harrison contracted pneumonia in an ice storm during an outdoor inaugural ceremony.
Furthermore, "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" was a popular campaign song, which was a big deal back in those pre-mass media days. "Tippecanoe" refers to WH Harrison, who was seen as the Battle of Tippecanoe in Indiana, and Tyler was ... well, Tyler. They Might Be Giants actually remade the song a few years back. It's pretty bad.

Some people hand-made hanging or sewn-on buttons using tintype photos and so on as early as Lincoln's days, but the mass-produced ones with pinbacks didn't come around until McKinley's brilliant 1896 campaign. Side note: If you happen to have one from the McKinley-Hobart campaign, or a later one that shows FDR while he was running for VP, they're worth a handful.

Also, for a long time, Harrison's unusually-long rain-soaked inauguration speech was blamed for the illness that killed him, but he didn't get sick until almost a month after the ceremony. It turns out that in those days, the White House got its water supply from a source downstream from the local nasty dumping site, so he, James Polk, Willie Lincoln, and who knows how many others all likely died from drinking contaminated s**t-water every day. Go figure.

Forum List

Back