Do you pray every day?

I bet it wouldn't survive the way the bible has.

It all depends on what the future holds. Let's use a "hypothetical" and say that there's a nuclear war and all of humanity is wiped out. Now in 10,000 or so years people once again begin to re-populate earth. They are digging and find my Superman book that claims that God inspired me to write it. In that case, it very well can reach the popularity of the bible, hell it CAN be the bible. But in today's world, you're right, it wouldn't survive like the bible.

But I so despise when Christians quote passages from the bible to show that God exists. In the same fashion, I could quote Stan Lee comics and show that Spiderman exists. The bible was written by many different authors, consisting of many different books. All of it was distorted by men based on their ideas and prejudices at the time. Half of the horse manure in the bible is meant to reinforce the idea of how you must worship God, he basically wrote a 2,000 page book about himself, in order to brag about himself. The mere fact that anybody can find obvious contradictions in it, is enough reason for me to discount it.

Where would they come from?

The ancient version of the Conspiracy Subforums.

Read the amazing stories people concoct and believe in that subforum, and it's not too surprising that the ancient world was flooded with superstitious books like those in the Bible.

Hence, Gilgamesh's Arc.

I bet it wouldn't survive the way the bible has.

It all depends on what the future holds. Let's use a "hypothetical" and say that there's a nuclear war and all of humanity is wiped out. Now in 10,000 or so years people once again begin to re-populate earth. They are digging and find my Superman book that claims that God inspired me to write it. In that case, it very well can reach the popularity of the bible, hell it CAN be the bible. But in today's world, you're right, it wouldn't survive like the bible.

But I so despise when Christians quote passages from the bible to show that God exists. In the same fashion, I could quote Stan Lee comics and show that Spiderman exists. The bible was written by many different authors, consisting of many different books. All of it was distorted by men based on their ideas and prejudices at the time. Half of the horse manure in the bible is meant to reinforce the idea of how you must worship God, he basically wrote a 2,000 page book about himself, in order to brag about himself. The mere fact that anybody can find obvious contradictions in it, is enough reason for me to discount it.

Well, I suppose the same place people originally came from.

The ancient version of the Conspiracy Subforums.

Read the amazing stories people concoct and believe in that subforum, and it's not too surprising that the ancient world was flooded with superstitious books like those in the Bible.

Hence, Gilgamesh's Arc.

God has done dinosaurs, dinosaurs and cave man, and man and woman, next time he'll do something different.

I really don’t comprehend the purpose of praying. I don’t believe in that belligerent thug from the bible; I don’t believe that God is omni-everything. For instance, what would God do if two opposing basketball teams were each coached by 2 born-again Christians, and each prayed to win. Would God throw 1 Christian under the bus, I mean there must be a winner? There’s way too many debatable points considering the bible for it to be valid, IMO.

But I do believe that praying to a higher power is healthy and sets a perspective in your life.

And what makes you think God interfers in basketball games like that?

Well isn't it his responsibility to answer any prayers from his beleivers? I mean, his son states that whatever you pray for, it will be granted. He didn't put any stipulations or limits on them. So in that scenario, the winning team will swear that God granted answered their prayer, while the losing team will claim it was "personal gain" or other nonsense.

That's why I don't care for Christianity. It was imposed on blacks and it splits the white race up, and it has too many weak links to be a valid religion.

Jesus never stated that God will answer your prayer in any specific way. Many times God answers your prayers with a 'No", or "Wait" or "Yes" with the yes being what he knows to be best for us. Christians pray to God to become closer to him. Prayer is not some sort of a magic 8 ball where you pray your wishes because they will magically be answered the way you want.
Would you like to share some specifics of those "weak links" in Christianity?

I used to set aside a specific time each day for prayer, and that was of value, but now it is more of an ongoing process sort of like Tevia's conversations with God in "Fiddler on the Roof". I always stop to take time to pray for a concern made known to me or when someone asks for prayer, and that includes all you folks on USMB. I take longer time outs when especially bothered about something or am facing something hard or don't know how to proceed.

Mostly though it is more of a consciousness of the presence of God and a checking in as I go through my day.

No reason to feel shy about it.

I like to pray in my car on my way to work, no radio, just silence with me talking to God.
I sometimes do it the whole trip, and my school is about 40 minutes from where I live.

When I'm not working I'll sometimes pray in the morning when I wake up, or before I go to sleep at night.

as long as hes not talking back its all good :lol:

Yes I do. For all prayer is is talking to God, you dont even have to speak the words outloud, for he is the heart knower. That is why he can judge you because he knows what you are thinking, just as Jesus knew what the priest were thinking when they were thinking about killing him. Jesus was God in the flesh, you think God would ask his children to do anything that he would not do himself. For every negative there is a positive. Saul was a very bad person untill God struck him down and changed his name to Paul, and told him you are my chosen vessel. People just cannot comprehend the power of the living God, who speaks and something becomes nothing, and speaks again and nothing becomes something. So yes I pray every day, for the good and the bad, because they both play a part in Gods overall plan.

Jesus never stated that God will answer your prayer in any specific way. Many times God answers your prayers with a 'No", or "Wait" or "Yes" with the yes being what he knows to be best for us. Christians pray to God to become closer to him. Prayer is not some sort of a magic 8 ball where you pray your wishes because they will magically be answered the way you want.

Jesus asserts that what you pray for in his name, will be given, like he's some magical genie in a bottle. He says nothing about “specifics” or a God who can do anything, making you wait for an answer. He claims if you have faith you can move mountains, he says whoever calls another a fool will swim in a lake of fire, yet he himself is guilty of this, even the bibleGod himself. He claims whoever believes in him will never die, was he ignorant, a liar, or didn't exist? Of the 30 years I have been here, I have yet to meet any Christian who adheres to Jesus’ teachings, it’s not like I blame them though. I would definitely not want to pluck my eyes out for looking at a hot woman, or give up all my money to underachievers.

Would you like to share some specifics of those "weak links" in Christianity?
Now where would you like for me to begin, Christianity is chalked full of obtuse, off the wall, illogical happenings. Just for now let’s start at the beginning, since that story got me shaking my head in disbelief right from the get go. Humanity was set-up; It was one giant blame-game. First of all, the bibleGod is all powerful, right? So why did he have to place the tree, the one thing that can ruin mankind, in Adam and Eve’s field of vision? Why didn’t he take the proper precautions and place it on Mars or some other planet where they can never get to it? Imagine you have a chocolate bar, and you of course do not want your dog to get at it. Now logic says you should hide it in a cupboard or a closet or something. But instead, you do the next best thing- put it right in his food dish. The bibleGod told Adam that they can eat from any tree, except the one that contains the forbidden knowledge. So he put evil right in their food source.

The bible and Christianity have too many holes in its foundation to be any more truthful than a Weekly World News magazine. I just don’t think you need to believe in the bible or Christianity to believe in God.

Last edited:
Or just when you feel the need to, like if somebody is sick, or you're needing guidance.

I pray every day.

You do prey everday because power tripping asswipes like you need to compensate any way you can find. I'm just amazed you were too shy to misspell "prey."

Is this just a yes or no poll or is this something people want to talk about?

I'm curious about how prayer is perceived in terms of guidance, selfishness, agape, and indescribable bonds between people who pray together. Isn't it weird how it feels less intimate to have sex with someone versus praying with that person?

Is this just a yes or no poll or is this something people want to talk about?

I'm curious about how prayer is perceived in terms of guidance, selfishness, agape, and indescribable bonds between people who pray together. Isn't it weird how it feels less intimate to have sex with someone versus praying with that person?

There are bonds between people who pray and meditate together. In the words of Annie Lamott talking about why she likes to meditate with others:

"My mind is like a bad neighborhood. I don't like to go there alone."

New Topics

Forum List

Back